PDA

View Full Version : Flying training, many questions!

Halls
10th Jan 2006, 15:50
Hi all,

I am currently studying the JAA PPL(a) syllabus (theory only) and have many questions relating to my possible future as a pilot.

My training destination is CPL(A) with all endorsements as required to become a bush pilot, possibly in Canada or the tropics.

I guess at this stage, my most immediate thought is of the climate at the moment with regards to work in the bush pilot sector and whether or not this would be a good move? I am neither orientated towards nor motivated by making a great salary, my time and activity at work is paramount to me, however I am not rich and can't afford to blow money on a possible dream that will not become a reality (I am not a pessimist, more a determined realist).

I am a little confused at this stage with regards to licensing and where this enables one to fly? If I study the JAA syllabus, which countries exclude me from flying in their airspace? Or similarly, if I gain the FAA license from the US, what exclusions apply elsewhere? Can a JAA qualified pilot fly in the US without a conversion? I know that airspace classifications are different there for example!!!

How does a Canadian license differ from an FAA license?

Further to these quandries, I have heard conflicting rhetoric with regards to building hours once qualified and gaining suitable employment thereafter. What would be the best way to approach this situation in a cost effective manner as many operators are put of by freshers with limited hours?

I will leave it there for now and try to gain further information once I have waded through the mire of the questions already asked above.

Many thanks for your time and consideration,

Kind Regards

Halls

Permafrost_ATPL
10th Jan 2006, 16:02
I would pick a place before deciding where to qualify!

It's not that hard for Canadian pilots to convert to US, but it's not that easy the other way around (I'm talking CPL level here, or ATPL). As for FAA vs JAA, you're looking at having to do most of the flying tests (but not all of the training, there are dispensations) and written tests. Things "can" become a bit easier once you have a full ATPL and a few thousand hours on jets, but that won't be your case. There are plenty of threads on this, get searching.

If you're not bothered where you'll end up, Canada is a BIG country where small planes perform a vital role. Get a float rating and you should be able to build hours (or get an instructor rating, build hours, then get your float rating).

If you're not a US citizen or green card holder, don't even think about it. Working visas will be next to impossible to get given the number of unemployed pilots.

P

Telstar
10th Jan 2006, 16:11
Halls, When I started out flying I wanted to find some adventure, I had dreams of being a bush pilot in Africa or Canada.

As my training progressed my goals changed a lot! I also had two friends who went to fly in africa, both capable and experienced pilots. One hit a very, very large Animal on take off, snapped a wing got covered in fuel and was very lucky not to have been killed. The other friend did not come back, 'plane hit a mountain, the report is not out yet. Both worked for a very reputable and western owned outfits. I choose not to accept all the risks that come with this line of work and decided I wanted to become an old and not so bold pilot and joined the airlines. If you choose that route just be aware that it is tough flying, your on your own with no outside support and one simple mistake could kill you. Coupled to that for every well run outfit there are 20 gangsters in Africa, with badly maintained machines. Eventually all the holes in the swiss chees line up.

As for working in a foreign country. I note you are living in the UK? Would it be safe to assume that you do NOT have Canadian residency privledges, i.e you don't have a work Visa? If not its a no go unless you get one and a Pilots licence will not be a qualifying condition. To work in Africa is a differnet story most countries like Tanzania, Botswana and Kenya for example you will get a visa applied for if you get a job. You can convert an ICAO licence, FAA or JAA for example, to the local countries licence.

It will be hard to get a job straight out of basic training, you need to be a capable aviator, and there is plenty of competition down there too. Best of luck.

Permafrost_ATPL
10th Jan 2006, 16:18
Would it be safe to assume that you do NOT have Canadian residency privledges, i.e you don't have a work Visa? If not its a no go unless you get one and a Pilots licence will not be a qualifying condition.

As additional info on that, it's A LOT easier to get a Canadian visa (through Commonwealth affiliation) than a US one (I assume you're British). The other good thing is that you can get the Canadian visa without a job lined up. Can't do that in the US.

P

Halls
11th Jan 2006, 14:49
Hi again,

I would just like to say a big thank you to those who helped with my queries so far, it is very much appreciated! I am now investigating with new found knowledge and no doubt will be on again in the near future to pick your brains further...!

Take care until then,

Kind regards

Halls

:ok: