PDA

View Full Version : Protecting folders with passwords

FIMbar the Furious
9th Jan 2006, 19:30
Guys

Have just started using one of those handy memory sticks to carry a lot of data around but would like to know how to password either it or the files/folders on it.

I have tried a search in this Forum and searched XP(home) help sections but it all still seams hush hush for such a simple function

cheers

FTF

BLUE SKY THINKER
9th Jan 2006, 21:05
FIMbar the Furious. . . . .

You need to encrypt your Memory Stick.

Here's some info.; and better still a "freebe" program (http://www.cypherix.co.uk/mobile_article.htm). ...I can't vouch for it, just the first thing up on a quick Google search. ...Doesn't look bad though (plenty of other options I'm sure).

Many of these devices, such as the one I have, come with inclusiive encryption security.

Good luck.

oldfella
9th Jan 2006, 21:43
Had a stick with built in encryption. The problem was that it it in effect an exe programme and if you plug it into an XP machine and don't have administrator rights XP will not let you open your data. Tried partitioning the stick with a secure and an insecure area but had the same problems with XP. Sticks are only useful if you can access your data.

Mac the Knife
11th Jan 2006, 19:29
Well, they aren't free, but Cryptomite and Foldershield from Baxbex software - http://www.baxbex.com/cryptomite.html - look nice and I've used some of their other software which is quality stuff.

Edited to say - if you just want to protect things from prying eyes you can use the encryption module in WinZip - it isn't very secure but it may be enough for you. Not everything needs DES standard encryption y'know.

FIMbar the Furious
21st Jan 2006, 11:45
thanks for the replies

I havent had a chance to look at these yet, been a busy week for Fimbar.

One problem I will have is that I will need to use the stick on a PC that I dont have admin rights. Its nothing serious but I tend to get called away from my office at short notice a lot and dont want prying eyes looking at my work.

What I cant undertsand is that MS does not include this option in their office suite. When I first looked I thought Id just right click a folder and change a property setting,if only it were that simple

FJJP
29th Jan 2006, 09:37
Why don't you password protect your files as you save them? That option is available in all Office applications. Not sure about other software, though.