PDA

View Full Version : March Course

goodles
9th Jan 2006, 18:58
Hi
Anyone else out there been told that they are on the course starting in March???

Barnaby the Bear
9th Jan 2006, 19:03
Nope......:E

Couldn't resist!

Gonzo
9th Jan 2006, 20:41
Nope. :E

Might know of somebody though, subject to clearances and medical etc.

The Obvious Choice
10th Jan 2006, 07:02
I'm not either, although some might say I should be. :bored:

terrain safe
10th Jan 2006, 10:33
Course in marching?:p :p

E-n-i-g-m-a-8-3
10th Jan 2006, 14:39
On the march JATCC course, if that helps ;)

Number2
10th Jan 2006, 16:41
There's still enough people to run a JATCC Course?!

tired-flyboy
10th Jan 2006, 19:45
Is JATCC still around - didn't think any fisheads were at JATCC

E-n-i-g-m-a-8-3
10th Jan 2006, 19:47
Yes, there are indeed enough people to run it, and im not a fishhead, although I believe there are still some on the course.

Number2
10th Jan 2006, 20:20
Well, there can't be many places left to be posted to!!!!

sierra_alpha_mike
11th Jan 2006, 11:31
Subject to medical etc am also on March course. No info yet as to when starts. Expected to be start of month but HR said it is likely to slip later. December course started on 21st Dec to give an idea.

Question for all the veteran controllers. There seems to be a fair amount of less than encouraging reports on pprune about new intakes, not up to scratch, isn’t like it was in our day. Is the general consensus that standards are slipping and less than adequate people are getting through?

I’m expecting & prepared for a hard slog…I’d be surprised/disappointed if my other course chums didn’t come to class with similar ideas.

11th Jan 2006, 14:29
Don't be put off by what you read about training and stuff on Pprune, this is a good place to blow off steam after a busy day and is a great stress-reliever......and don't forget the qualifier statement at the bottom of the page.
Over the last decade, and perhaps even before that, the industry has exploded beyond all expectation; modern ATC is intense and unrelenting.....particularly as the many low-fare airlines fly very long "days" to make the best of their aircraft utilisation.
The training courses have been shortened considerably from what they were, but one point of relevance is that the "veterans", as you refer some of us old dogs, have adapted to the demand and the added complexities of airspace changes and traffic handling using experience and assimilated knowledge and expertise.
It would be unfair to say that to-day's trainees are less capable....it would be more appropriate to say that the job is far more difficult and demanding than ever before. You have to endure a learning curve that many of the "vets" would be unable match if the situations were reversed.
I wish you all the best of luck...work hard and the reward is worth it....if I was to give you any advice it would be to lay off the booze and give the job your best. If you want the job...make the effort!
Regards.

MartinInTheMiddle
13th Jan 2006, 19:36
Old codgers always believe that "the youth of today" does not have what they had - don't believe it.

sierra_alpha_mike
17th Jan 2006, 10:26
Thanks for the responses. Noted booze advice, though think I had realised that but didn't want to admit it!

Back to original Q. Phoned HR yesterday and March course is due to start on 1st March. Bit of a surprise (especially as that is a Wednesday). Unlikely to slip apparently. goodles - you may want to give them a bell and confirm that yourself. I am hoping we may get something in the post in due course (but I forgot to ask that)...

Can someone give me a quick lowdown on the pension? Can you opt-in on first day of training? Defined contribution? What % do you contribute, what % does NATS contribute? Ta.

Van Der Hum
17th Jan 2006, 11:43
March course is due to start on 1st March. Bit of a surprise (especially as that is a Wednesday)
Welcome to the world of the College. The next Approach course is starting on a Friday. Get used to being surprised and forget any ideas you may have of logic existing there!

Dances with Boffins
18th Jan 2006, 09:32
Phoned HR yesterday and March course is due to start on 1st March
Well now we know a date it probably doesn't start on...
[Sorry. Past experiences with NATS HR may have coloured my opinion slightly:{ ]
DwB:cool:

Tycoon
20th Jan 2006, 11:53
Course in March. Isn't this the first course to get screwed if the new pay deal goes through?

£10k a year and no payment for trips home and by the time you end up on the top of the T&D scale after two and a half years of pure torture, which is a long time you will still only be on £17k till your valid.

I was on more than that when I started at the college in 2000!

This company is a :mad: ing joke, I don't envy you guys at all.

Short of staff and what do we do to entice the best possible people to the job?

Half the starting wage and all subsequent wages untill they are valid and take away some nice attractive perks. I would be suprised to see the WAP stay in the student package at the next pay deal.

sierra_alpha_mike
20th Jan 2006, 13:29
That is unbelieveable. I was encouraged by HR to try to get on the December course if I could as the starting salary would be a "little lower" in the new year. but 5k lower...

I can't help but be really disappointed by that news. When is the pay deal finalised? 10k would be fine if you had the time to work another job in the evening, but aren't we expected to do a couple of hours in the evening too?

MartinInTheMiddle
20th Jan 2006, 16:44
I've heard that it is a salary of 10K flat, no WAP (for non NATS people WAP = Weekly Assistance Payment, a tax free allowance of around £100 per week paid to trainees at Bournemouth). It comes into effect on 1 March if the pay deal is accepted.

I hear lots of controllers shedding crocodile tears for the plight of poor trainees being offered such a low salary - if they really are concerned about trainee salaries they should vote against giving themselves a generous 3 year pay deal which has been funded by the savings made on trainees pay.

21st Jan 2006, 07:59
Don't worry, a lot of us "oldies" are concerned about the deal for a variety of reasons.....and starting pay is a genuine concern, not in any way crocodile tears. Just make sure that if you have a vote that you use it.
I don't want to end up training somebody who is more bothered about where his/her next meal and the rent are coming from. If we want to consider ATC to be a profession rather than a job then this pay vote must fail.
If savings are needed I suggest looking into the grotesque over-promotion culture....it has, and still is, costing £millions.

261A
21st Jan 2006, 08:36
How does the college accommodate so many courses at the same time - I assume that each course is at least 6 months (don't quote me on that) but if so there has been a December course and now a March course so what happens to the December course?

foghorn
21st Jan 2006, 11:45
By the cunning device of having more than one classroom:} :ok:

Each stage of the course lasts roughly three months (give or take a few weeks here and there). After one course has completed one stage, the next lot start and do that stage, hence courses start at three month intervals.

You'll start with the Basic course. Once 207 (which I think is the March course) finish the Basic Course in June they go on to the rating courses and 208 will start the Basic course. And so on.

As a minimum Area folk spend 9 months at college, single-rated airports folk 6 months, regional airport folks 9 months, longer if recoursed due to failure or on medical grounds.

BOB FC
27th Jan 2006, 18:07
S.A.M and goodles

Will be joining you for the March course, looking forward to it immensely! I have been informed that it starts on 27th March with the induction week.

A nice fella here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=208266) confirms this date, even if HR did tell you the 1st March..:hmm:!

See you in the Spring!

Bob

sr562
28th Jan 2006, 13:22
Foghorn that was a bit cheeky mate. You now have a duty to help the uneducated.

Leave the carcastic wit to us bitter and twisted people who have been forced to seek jobs at the wrong side of the building. :D

Bettyboop
28th Jan 2006, 13:31
Hi Goodles

Just wondered, when did you have your initial assessment day?
You weren't in London in November were you?

Betty

Standard Noise
28th Jan 2006, 20:48
some of us old dogs
You speak for yourself, you old dog!

And this 'assimilated knowledge and expertise' of which you speak, did you forget it at the west end trials?:p :ok:

28th Jan 2006, 22:37
Hi Standard; I was specifically excluded from the West End development team on the grounds that an intelligent and comprehensible solution was against NATS policy.
Don't forget to vote chaps......woof woof woof!
By the way...one of the the non-operational architects of the wonder plan has been promoted to another non-operational wonder job.....super woof woof!
RGDS

Standard Noise
30th Jan 2006, 09:06
I gotta get me a job like that!!:} I can screw things up with a big budget, honest I can, just let me try, please, please.:}

BigBoeing
5th Mar 2006, 11:01
Just found out im on march course as well. Where is everyone staying?

Quincy M.E.
6th Mar 2006, 08:48
I found out on Thursday that I had made it into the college and they want me to start on the 27th March, leaving me little time to sort out my life before I head off! Any way, I have asked for a later course but I was wondering about life whilst at the college and specifically holiday entitlement.

Are trainees given time off? I booked a holiday last year that is meant to happen in June but I am pessamistic about my chances of being able to go on it.

Cheers

Number2
6th Mar 2006, 13:11
'I am pessamistic about my chances of being able to go on it.'

So am I if you start on the 27th!

Good luck.

6th Mar 2006, 14:52
Quincy M.E.
About 3000 applicants tried for the place that you have won; you are a very lucky person and I wish you all the luck in the world.
Decision time is upon you to determine your priorities of a holiday on the one hand, and a marvellous and life-changing career in one of the best jobs available in the whole country.
If it was me I would be so completely and utterly thankful for my good fortune that I would cancel the holiday at the earliest opportunity so as not to lose too much money.....consider the small loss as an investment in your future: however that's just me....you may have different priorities.
Best wishes for the future.

flower
6th Mar 2006, 17:17
Are trainees given time off? Cheers

Yes you are but the time off is at the end of the modules that you take thus you cannot pick and choose when that time is. It may be worth calling up the college to find out what the specific dates are to see how they fit in with your holiday. I am not sure how the system works now but that time off also included resit time should you fail any of your exams.

tired-flyboy
7th Mar 2006, 12:51
As Flower says the planned holidays are after your modules.

However, the resits are not done in the holiday time they are more often than not a couple of days (a week at the most) after the original exam.

You can expect to get a couple of weeks holiday after the end of each module, however things can change at short notice.

If you know your start date, call the college and find out when your first break will be.

foghorn
7th Mar 2006, 20:47
Are trainees given time off? I booked a holiday last year that is meant to happen in June but I am pessamistic about my chances of being able to go on it.
Cheers

Rule number 1 of college is don't book any holidays. NATS' training plans for you can change at very short notice, pre-booked holidays have a nasty habit of having to be cancelled.