PDA

View Full Version : Network not work!

Miserlou
9th Jan 2006, 07:46
Hi

I've just installed service pack 2 onto my XP professional and now have a problem with accessing the interweb.

I have a connection (wirelss network) at start up but it dies within about three minutes. Then I go to control panel, internet and internet connactions, network connections, right click on the wireless connection and properties, in properties the wireless connections and the tick in the 'use Windows to automatically configure network'. The tick is always missing when I go into this.

Then I have to click 'show wireless networks available' and when this comes up I have to disconnect from the network and then connect again manually.

I have removed some administritive tools but nothing critical.

What course of action do you folks recommend? Windows reinstall or repair?

Also, is there any Linux based system which is close to Windows for the home user who also needs windows based games for the kids?

Conan the Librarian
9th Jan 2006, 12:43
SP2 introduced the "Security Centre" replete with firewall and I bet that is involved somewhere along the line. Presumably, you had a firewall running before, so go to Control panel -Security Centre and make sure that your original firewall is running the show rather than the Windows equivalent. See if that makes any difference.

Rushing for now, but will come back to this one later.

Conan