PDA

View Full Version : Visits to towers/control centres

mattcarus
8th Jan 2006, 21:04
Evening all,

I have my NATS interview at the end of the month and as part of my preperation I wanted to visit a tower or control centre - I asumed that this wouldn't be a problem (especially as I've already got through the first part of the application process) but the response that I got from NATS was that this wasn't possible.

Does anyone know of any friendly controllers at EGBB or BE (my local airports) that can help arrange a visit?

Cheers,
Matt

squidge
8th Jan 2006, 22:45
If you want a visit to EGBB PM me and i'll give you the contact to call.
;)

Dances with Boffins
10th Jan 2006, 12:22
Who at NATS did you contact - out of interest?

funfly
10th Jan 2006, 13:56
As a novice PPl I have been lucky enough to visit both military and civil towers and this post is to offer my observation of how different each works. As an example, I was surprised that they both didn't use the same 'standard' system for aircraft following (the coloured slips etc.).

Dozza2k
10th Jan 2006, 15:57
I popped into LHR tower a month or so ago and was surprised that they still used the strips, although now mixed with some technology that I thought was pretty funky, a touch screen TV for stopbars n taxi lights?
great bunch of people who really made us feel welcome, so this is a belated thanks!
d2K

mattcarus
10th Jan 2006, 17:16
Not going to name names - it was someone in HR.

I suspect I got a generic response, something along the lines of "Go away"

Dances with Boffins
13th Jan 2006, 12:44
Okay. HR have given you duff information. :mad:
All NATS units will let potential ATCOs have a visit. Contact the unit direct by letter requesting a visit to find out about ATC as a career.
PM me which unit and I'll give you the name to write to.

Regular Cappuccino
14th Jan 2006, 00:30
Mattcarus - If you're reasonably local to BB & BE, then NX is probably not a million miles away from you either, and they are also happy to support visits by prospective NATS employees (despite not being a NATS Unit).
PM me if you want another contact for there.
Good Luck with the interview.:ok:
RC

meinemonkey
14th Jan 2006, 09:29
not really sure where to start, would i need to contact them directly or is there some official route i must take in order to visit a control centre, as i imagine they wont let just anybody in.

14th Jan 2006, 15:30
yep youre right - it may help if you say which type of centre you woudl like to visit ie an area centre or tma.

then hopefully someone from those centres may see this thread and help you out.

Mr Chips
15th Jan 2006, 15:09
well, there's not many centres to choose from, so i wouldn't worry too much about specifics....!!!!!