PDA

View Full Version : Enough to drive you mad

Amateur Aviator
8th Jan 2006, 18:03
**RANT ON**

So then, here it is. I’m in the sandpit. You know which one. I’ve just had to inform HQ that AA and crew have gone totally tonto, and to bring strait-jackets for immediate return to Blighty (Blackadder, Series 4, Episode 6, Scene 3 on the DVD to be precise).

“Why?” I hear some ask, although many ignore.

Is it because the mail isn’t getting through?

No. But maybe no-one likes AA.

Do your boots fit?

No. Size 10M are an inability and will be for quite a bit longer. But thanks for
asking.

Is it because the food would be rejected by Ethiopians?
No. It is as good as Service messes in the UK (but maybe not PAYD. I’ll let someone else do that one).

Is it because the weather is getting us down?

No. But you don’t need +50degC to sunbathe.

Is it because we are fighting a phoney war?

No. We are a force for good in the modern world.

Well, why then?

It’s like this.

The residents of the various Ivory Towers, in their air-conditioned offices, who travel a mile to work in their air-conditioned Land Rover V8 SEs instead of using the scheduled bus service, who sleep in their air-conditioned cor-i-mecs, who, IMHO, continually make, day after day, ludicrous decisions which they are entirely unqualified to make.

But it doesn’t end there. Why oh why are people put into jobs where they have to make these decisions? Why do they have to meddle with everything? Is it so they can be seen to do something in front of the Boss? Is a good report more important than getting the job done? Can they not make a plan on their own without bastardizing someone else’s plan, then take the credit? Can they not just say “Good idea AA, I wish I had thought of that one”, then curse themselves at their own ineptitude? Why can they not let the guys on the ground run with a plan or an op? Why do people make their jobs more important than anyone else’s? It may come as a surprise that the world does not revolve around their little portacabin or office. And there was little old AA thinking that flexibility was the key to air power.

Oh, that’s right. When people are put into a job they cannot do, they lose all ability to use a modicum, or any, common sense at all. So learn. That’s what we all do, isn’t it? No it is most certainly not. Time after time, we identify problems and come up with lessons learnt. But hang on. Some of those among us identified these problems years, weeks, even days ago ago. So why have they been forgotten? Again.

SLAP (That’s AA being told to stop using common sense).

We should stop being continually being surprised by these things. We have been playing the expeditionary warfare game for so long, you would think that we would be good at it by now. I’m out here to do a job. I strive to do that job to the best of my ability. Some may argue. Day after day I find myself not able to do that job for some of the reasons mentioned above.

So what do we do?

There is hope. A small example is that the “Window of NO” has become the “Window of MAYBE”. Hearty, non-ironic congratulations to the stackers. You have shown that the unwieldy beast can learn.

At the risk of sounding controversial, maybe we should try letting people run their own areas of specialization and not try to monopolize others to create an empire (draw your own conclusions from that if you will). Maybe we should start standing up for ourselves when others try to take over? Maybe we should not be afraid of upsetting people, not just telling them what they want to hear?

Maybe we should start selling long screwdrivers out here. That would soon start adding to my 20 free minutes of paradigm calls a week. It may even be enough to equal the free minutes prisoners get. But it’s all okay really, as we do get tax-breaks for all the time spent away each year. Just like MPs get allowances for their weekend homes and the like.

As you can tell, my crew and I have had an appalling few days.

I don’t expect sympathy from anyone, but I do know where it is in the dictionary.

I expect slander.

I don’t expect praise.

I do expect a chat with someone who gets paid more than me at some stage.

I don’t care.

But then what do you expect when you air your views.

At least it made me feel better, and that is good.

AA

Standing to attention, hat on.

**Rant Off**

The Gorilla
8th Jan 2006, 18:57
So what do we do?

You come home, you PVR or put in your notice whilst at the same time telling them that thanks very much but hey you won't be going back. Then you look around for a job where your talents will be appreciated and you leave to pastures anew.

Or you can stay in, put up with all the rubbish you have outlined above and eventually your health will suffer..

The choice my friend is yours to make!

:D

insty66
8th Jan 2006, 19:08
AA
That was not the rant of an amateur:ok:

The Helpful Stacker
8th Jan 2006, 19:49
'The Window of No' is Army run, with one poor sap of an SAC supplier at their mercy.

When I was out there last year we tried ordering clothing in through the DSG element (which we managed no problem) but the QM got wind of this and threw his teddies out of the cot.

Apparently the Army supply system is superior to the upstart RAF one, its just the RAF one occasionally supplies rather than stores!!

SASless
8th Jan 2006, 19:50
Has any war anywhere at any time been any different than the situation AA has described?

Ah....but if the Ivory Tower Dwellers could have the absolute clarity of view those who have to do the job have....all would be Nirvana....and the troops would have nothing at all to talk about but the weather.

Does that mean they (the ITD's that is...)have a useful purpose after all?

StopStart
8th Jan 2006, 20:16
Your crew have a bad few days???

Ali Barber
8th Jan 2006, 20:22
Actually, we gave up "lessons learned" a few years ago. They are now "lessons recognised"!!!

Melchett01
8th Jan 2006, 20:41
What-ho AA

I doff my cap to you for that one - outstanding!

Of course you do realise why there are so many screwdrivers being wielded and poked into awkward areas?

As I was told by a Brit senior Rupert back in the same sandpit in 2003, it's because they don't know how to do their own jobs. They have been promoted a level above their ability, so they return to default setting which invariably involves poking their noses in where they aren't wanted or needed in an effort to prove to everyone and themselves that they can do a job. Not necessarily theirs however ...... :\

Anyway, it's good to see the Window of No is improving albeit slowly. Maybe if I go back again this year, I might now get the boots I ordered last year!

neilmac
8th Jan 2006, 20:55
I have found generally that peeps who dont agree with AA were in the forces years ago or senior ie no actual thoughts with reality!! Did my bit in summer 05, as usual we cope cos we are the best ..........at putting up with crap

Wotta Dump
8th Jan 2006, 21:41
Out here in the desert, thousands of miles from home.
Spend most my time a day-dreaming, give the man a bone(r)!

Sent here to kill the terrorists by Tony B. Liar.
But unlike some previous conflicts, my belly ain’t got D fire.

Will it all soon be done now that it’s rolled into another year.
Will I finally get the chance to spend time with those that I hold dear.

When we departed ISK, we spent the first 12 hours on a bus.
But despite financial Cut after Cut after Cut, we’re supposed not to fuss.

Military Life’s controlled by Boys who just make noise.
Get rid of these Bleeders coz they’re no Leaders.
Loyalty’s a 2-way street, people are voting with their feet.

Lots of other nations provide in-theatre personnel with a Tax Break.
But as usual with the UK Government, it’s just Take Take Take.

We’re all living in tents either sweating or a-freezing our balls.
But you can’t do no proper work if you ain’t got proper tools.

If the Military wanted tent material that rustled when it’s windy.
Then I can tell you for sure they found one of the top three!

Same old, same old, same old meals.
Provided by Contractors on ‘Fantastic Deals’.

When I was younger, Flight Safety was paramount.
These days it seems to get overlooked a fair amount.

Tests of the tannoy systems happen every day at 4pm.
How’s that compatible with sleeping for night flying then?

Need a good nights sleep from Tamazepam to make this headache go away.
But we’re either flying or on Standby, Day after Day after Day.

They spray round outside the tents with insecticide many times a week.
Is it inhaling this stuff that’s making me feel meek?

The welfare package should leave me without a care.
All I can say to that, is shove it where there’s no air.

Get a twenty-minute phone allowance to last me a whole week.
Allegedly I’d be better treated if I’d been sentenced by a Beak.

Apparently I’m man enough to Die for my Country if need be.
But when I’m not on Standby, they decree 2 beers is enough for me.

I know it might sound like all I’ve done is bleat.
But I’m really looking forward to a toilet with a seat.

SASless
8th Jan 2006, 22:27
One of the many axioms of military life.....
Law of Supply (also known as the Law of Gifts):
You get the most of what you need the least.

Onan the Clumsy
9th Jan 2006, 00:37
Then you look around for a job where your talents will be appreciated and you leave to pastures anew. Well don't try Corporate America or you'll find things will appear to change very little :(

Dan Winterland
9th Jan 2006, 02:52
Everyone is promoted to one rank above their ability, except maybe the CAS. But when there, why do they have to change everything just so that they can get noticed just so that they can be promoted just one more time except that they can't because they are already at one rank above their ability? (I think maybe I have just answered my own question).

But how can you be impressive on a six month det? Only by making your subordinates life uncomfortable. This was the case four years ago when I was in and it doesn't seem to have changed. And it's one of the reasons why I left.

ProfessionalStudent
9th Jan 2006, 10:22
AA
Lessons learned? Still going thru the same old routine of complaining about the standard of the Mess at Shawbs. Still, at least it's improved. Oh no, hang on a minute... Bag o' s:mad: te

Crashed&Burned
9th Jan 2006, 16:20
Rant away......no one who can do anything about your problems is listening....

Mach2
9th Jan 2006, 17:34
Rant away......no one who can do anything about your problems is listening....
Oh, they listen and read - but do they take any notice????

Swamp Thing
9th Jan 2006, 17:35
Everyone is promoted to one rank above their ability, except maybe the CAS.

Wasn't CAS, but there is someone up in that rarified atmosphere that stuck a Nimrod into the undershoot at Culdrose many years ago and taxied it in with muck all up the back.

Oh memories ............ :E

Live from the Swamp :}

Radar Riser
9th Jan 2006, 17:52
Swamp Thing

Where you on that? Tell us more.

RR

Swamp Thing
9th Jan 2006, 18:06
Wasn't on it, but was part of the reception line that watched it taxi in and a certain (then) OC 236 OCU walk briskly into one of the RN Sqn buildings, looking neither to the left or the right, as they say ...

Radar Riser
9th Jan 2006, 18:29
Swamp Thing

Was on it, XV240 April 88. I was digging to see who you are!:p

RR

Swamp Thing
9th Jan 2006, 21:40
Timing seems pretty reasonable ... There are still some of us left who remember it with fondness. Mind you, I've managed one promotion since - I think he's done somewhat better :hmm: I've obviously not scr£$%d up enough

Swamp Thing
9th Jan 2006, 22:20
RR

Still can't believe we got on the bloody thing and flew it back to the icy north. If experience brings anything, it brings the knowledge to say "s+d off and test the undercarriage before I get in it"