PDA

View Full Version : Graduate C.V's

CPTVOR
8th Jan 2006, 10:45
I was wondering if any of you guys that have graduated from Uni, use the letters after your name when applying for flying jobs, and if so, do you feel it makes a difference?
I would be particularly interested to know how any H.R. people reading this view it.
Cheers

Re-Heat
8th Jan 2006, 11:46
I have four groups of letters and use none on business cards or the like at the moment; it is of course noted on my CV however. I don't use them as I have no need to in my business; some feel it is pretentious to use them and others feel that having earned them they should use them. I tend to agree with the latter.

I suggest that it you do use them, you put them a line below your name in smaller type, rather than in bold beside your name so as both to credit yourself and not draw undue attention if someone does have a chip on their shoulder upon reading it.

Hope this helps

scroggs
8th Jan 2006, 12:21
There is absolutely nothing wrong with using post-nominal letters of qualification in the vast majority of cases. Of course, you may be unlucky and come up against a DFO or Chief Pilot who is not a graduate and resents those who are, but I suspect they are very rare and you shouldn't run your life to take account of that kind of illogical prejudice.

If you have worthwhile qualifications, by all means use the post-nominals you are entitled to. You don't need to do it every time your name is printed, and try and avoid giving the impression that your qualifications define you and carry greater importance in your life than they should, but don't be too shy! You earned them; use them.

Scroggs

Captain_Scooby
8th Jan 2006, 13:30
Personally I dont use letters after my name, however I do list my degree and have written a line or two about it under my 'Education' section.