PDA

View Full Version : Laptop with full OS disk........ Do they exist?

None of the above
8th Jan 2006, 08:55
I have been considering the purchase of a laptop but have been put off by the practice of some manufacturers of not providing a full OS disk.
I understand (please correct me if I am wrong) that many companies don't supply the full OS on a separate disk, but simply devote a large, and unseen, partition to the storage of the necessary files should a re-install be required.
I really don't need many of the software packages that often come ready loaded and would have simply re-installed the OS on day one also regaining the space taken by the restore partition in the process.
Also, I think I'm correct in saying that some so called 'restore disks' will simply return matters to square one and set up the partition mentioned above.
So, could anyone please advise me which manufacturers, if any, provide a full operating system disk?
Thanks in anticipation,
N o t a

kriss1000
8th Jan 2006, 11:22
Suggest purchase laptop on line where you choose...

configure it to your specifications when you come to the item which asks what OS you want click NONE.

The full purchase price will be deducted from the costing

Buy your OS seperately from the same vendor they will the either charge you around 25 GBP to install it or you bang it in the machine yourself and follow the setup proc..

Dont forget to get the updates after'''

shuttlebus
8th Jan 2006, 13:22
NOTA,

Personally, I prefer having a full OS disk and these are supplied with HP Business machines (which I bought as a personal user) and dell (the company I work for has a lot of dells!)

However, I witnessed a Sony Vaio being "restored" two weeks ago and it was totally painless (The person was able to get all their data off before the restore).

Therefore, it comes down to personal choice. What you need to bear in mind though is that no matter which option you choose, you need to have a fairly robust back-up solution in place. At the end of the day, whether it is a OS disk or a recovery CD, in all likelyhood, both will delete the contents of the system drive.

Regards,

Shuttlebus

None of the above
9th Jan 2006, 14:23
kris1000 and shuttlebus..............
Many thanks for your replies. I shall now retire to do some more thinking combined with some financial planning!
Thanks again,
N o t a