PDA

View Full Version : Certificates of demonstrated ability?

Kengineer-130
7th Jan 2006, 20:43
Hi guys,
I am hoping to do my ATPL licence soon, I have just passed my PPL, and have not had chance yet to get a medical, however, My eyes are not brilliant, as I am right eye dominent ( with a slight sqint) and have a fairly strong ( -8.25) prescription. I have been told that it is possible to get a restrictred class one medical, on the grounds that you can fly perfectly safly and spot other aircraft etc by doing the training, by using the " demonstrated ability" certificate, has anyone got anymore information, thanks :ok:

Blinkz
7th Jan 2006, 22:21
Hmm that is a very strong prescription and sorry to be the bearer of bad news but its unlikely that the CAA will allow you to get class 1 with it. The limit for initial medicals is +-5, however they sometimes allow people who fall into the renewal limit (+5-8) to get a deviation. Unfortunatly you din't meet the renewal standards either. you'll just have to call the CAA and speak to them and see what they say.

Meeb
8th Jan 2006, 09:47
The demonstrated ability thing applies to holders of foreign flight crew licenses. What some have done in your position is to gain say an FAA or Australian licence as these authorities allow Class 1 with any correction providing you can achieve I think it is 6/9 corrected vision.

The CAA then consider you to be an experienced person if you have I think it is over 500 hours. It is a lengthy process as it involves working in another country, usually as a Flight Instructor, but it is the only way to get a CAA Class 1 if you are outside the intial limit, which already has been stated as -5.

Good luck!

Kengineer-130
8th Jan 2006, 15:19
So, if I could get a job and build hours in say, america, I could then apply for a JAA medical on grounds of experience? WOuld it be worth doingall the JAA ATPL sylabus or would it be better to train in america FAA and then convert back to JAA if and when they would allow me a medical? :ok: is there a good AME to speak to or is it best just to go to gatwick?

Blinkz
8th Jan 2006, 15:38
Your only bet is to talk to gatwick, they will tell you exactly what you can and can't do.