PDA

View Full Version : Travel to CATC

benj1981
7th Jan 2006, 10:24
Hi,

I am due to start at the College with the next intake and as I don't have a car or the funds to buy one I was wondering how most people got to the College?

Is there a bus to the airport or is it best to try and organise some sort of lift/taxi?

Cheers/

261A
7th Jan 2006, 10:38
The college is very badly located in terms of reaching it by public transport and even the college admitted that to me when I asked the same question.

The best way and probably only way is by car and I have heard that most of the trainees share accommodation and cars so should have no problem.

Fletchers Left Boot
7th Jan 2006, 11:07
Just to back up 261A's point - many TATCs start off living in guest houses in the Westby Road area of Bournemouth; if you do the same, you should have no trouble blagging a lift from one of your coursemates.

eyeinthesky
7th Jan 2006, 18:16
Good advice so far. However, don't dismiss the option of a car because you perceive you 'don't have the funds to buy one'. Consider how much a taxi or daily bus fare will cost you if you are unable to get lifts from others.
There are plenty of serviceable runabouts to be had for £200 or less and all you need to do is keep it going until it breaks down and then scrap it and buy another one. You only need it to do 15 miles a day to and from the college. If you can find one with a bit of tax remaining so much the better. This also gives you the greater flexibility in your free time that a car offers. Compare the basic cost plus petrol with 'public' transport and also with how much you might spend down the pub in a few evenings and it doesn't seem so expensive after all.

Dances with Boffins
10th Jan 2006, 12:37
Just what we need - another leaky old banger drooling oil all over the car-park.:sad:
Car-share with someone on your course. Or buy a bike. It's only 6 miles or so and it's lovely countryside [apart from Boscombe].:E

TATC
10th Jan 2006, 21:41
Good advice so far. However, don't dismiss the option of a car because you perceive you 'don't have the funds to buy one'. Consider how much a taxi or daily bus fare will cost you if you are unable to get lifts from others.
There are plenty of serviceable runabouts to be had for £200 or less and all you need to do is keep it going until it breaks down and then scrap it and buy another one. You only need it to do 15 miles a day to and from the college. If you can find one with a bit of tax remaining so much the better. This also gives you the greater flexibility in your free time that a car offers. Compare the basic cost plus petrol with 'public' transport and also with how much you might spend down the pub in a few evenings and it doesn't seem so expensive after all.

Quite true - when i was at the college I bought a very old VW polo for £200 - drove 500 miles round trip every weekend in it back home. I clocked up 44000 miles in just over 15 months. So you could get lucky and get a very good old banger. The only reson I got rid of the car was not mechanical. It was that old the petrol tank started corroding on the inside. The carb and fuel lines got clogged up, this got very annoying when sitting at traffic lights and the engine cutting out. Every time I got a red light I had to put the thing in neutral and rev the b******s off it to keep the enging running.

By the wayDances - my polo never leaked (once i got the rocker and sump gaskets changed that is)

Barnaby the Bear
10th Jan 2006, 22:10
Buy a helicoptor. Convenient airport next door!!!!! :\

Just trying to help :}