PDA

View Full Version : Run Ups??

Mamakim
7th Jan 2006, 07:58
When operating at controlled aerodromes where there is no run-up bay, when do you request a runup and where would you do this?

I.e -> Canberra has no runup bays......do we request for a short delay as we are taxiing or do we request somewhere else.......can't imagine doing a runup as we are taxiing by holding the brakes as the rev's go up.......and maybe you could check the maggie's at taxi RPM but I reckon that wouldn't give the best indication on the health of the magneto's since they are not operating fast enough.

Any suggestions??

MK

;)

Chief galah
7th Jan 2006, 08:58
Just ask Ground. They're service providers, not policemen. Don't be timid with this because sometimes it's not all that obvious to visitors.

I would expect you to have a aerodrome diagram from ERSA or the VTC and be able to follow the taxI instructions from Ground.

If you have the ATIS, then there will be limited ways to get to the holding point for the departure runway, so be ready for that.

All the locals will be familiar with any of these issues, so if you have time, try them for advise, but ultimately, Ground should give you detailed instructions.

Some of the Visual Pilot Guides have good diagrams and info for APJK, YMMB, YMEN, YSBK, and YBAF. Have a look at them.

Most GAAP aerodromes don't require VFR to get a taxI clearance, but that doesn't mean you can't ask them for guidance. Just be positive about your request.

The only thing that gets up our nose is the chaps who go straight to the holding point then sit there for five minutes, holding up all those behind.

As an example "XXX for (dest), with X (ATIS) request taxI guidance to an area for 5 mins run-up."

Remember, there's different procedures for GAAP, D, and C type aerodromes.

DON'T CROSS OR ENTER A RUNWAY AT C OR D WITHOUT A CLEARANCE. Check GAAP procedures for runway crossings.

ERSA should give detailed information on any local variations.

Once you're comfortable with these, it should not be a worry at any airfields in Oz.

CG

Mamakim
7th Jan 2006, 09:16
Thanks for the reply CG.

I take it your a ATC so you would know whats best from us pilots out there.

Regards

MK

:)

Altimeters
7th Jan 2006, 22:29
Mamakim,

When usually flying out of Canberra, and aircraft are parked at the GA you'll see a lot of them start up and then perform their run ups right there in the parking area. There is adequate space between aircraft in every direction to perform a run up and ATC sometimes advise if we have already completed our run ups once we give our taxi clearance.

Hope that helps! :ok:

AerocatS2A
8th Jan 2006, 00:55
There is always some kind of area for doing runups. As said above, ask Ground where to do them if you don't know.

In Darwin it's the passing bay on taxiway Victor, in Perth there is a compass swing area that I've used when I've been there, Cairns has designated runup areas.

Avgas172
9th Jan 2006, 09:42
Taxy? Please refer to spell checka Mr Galah.

Avgas172
9th Jan 2006, 09:43
OH God .... somebody call me a Cab ...:E

Defenestrator
9th Jan 2006, 11:52
You're a Cab.:}

Chief galah
9th Jan 2006, 19:52
....................oh deer.
CG

185skywagon
9th Jan 2006, 22:20
Avgas172Taxy? Please refer to spell checka Mr Galah.

Taxy!

kimwestt
10th Jan 2006, 02:00
Chief Galah
If the "oh deer" cannot see or taxi (ie no legs) perhaps it then becomes still no ideer??

UnderneathTheRadar
10th Jan 2006, 06:01
of course if that deer is having sex with another deer then it's "still no-I-f**king deer"

Chief galah
10th Jan 2006, 08:55
Ewe pore sods, ave'nt ewe got enithing betta two dew.
(Apologies to Mamakim for the childish hijacking of this thread)
CG

Mamakim
10th Jan 2006, 11:01
Yeah come on guys and gals - remember its the Professional pilots network - not the kiddies one!

:}

YMEN
10th Jan 2006, 15:26
When i used to be at Essendon, we used to use runway 26-08 when taking off from 35-17. Dunno if that is still the case. But I bet they havent updated the taxiways since 1992. So im assuming that they are still the same!