PDA

View Full Version : flying north

flywatcher
7th Jan 2006, 04:54
Hello all. Firstly, I am not looking for a job, not looking to build hours, got enough, just seek some honest advice. I live in a cold climate. In April - May will take wife and trusty, well maintained 182 north on the big fly around. Plan to go north till the land stops. Would really appreciate advice from far north Queensland, NT pilots on great places to visit, hassle free places to fly, any traps to be aware of, should I have HF or is VHF enough, how much water to carry, heat, turbulence, the sort of things I would ask over a beer in the pub. There is not much northern experience down here. Have current IR, CPL, own aircraft, many hours in it but we are not young, wife not entirely in love with light aircraft, don't want to spoil the big holiday. Flame me if you wish, I only seek the same sort of input I would give any stranger to my area. Thank you

heliduck
7th Jan 2006, 22:19
FW,
Use the flight note or SARWATCH to it's fullest potential, ringing the police where you're flying to if you have to, as there is a lot of nothing between airstrips up north. Make sure you have arranged someone from the pub or motel where you'll be staying to pick you up as a lot of bush strips are a LOOONG walk from town. Avgas sometimes needs to be prepurchased & freighted to the place your going, so you won't always be able to get fuel if you haven't organised your own. If you plan to get off the beaten track you should carry your own drum pump, because if you have to fuel up out of a drum somewhere there might be no-one around to help you. Some fuel companies just drop the drum at the strip with your name on it, but if you plan it right you should be able to get between airports with facilities no problem. Bigger places like Weipa are worth staying in as a base for a while & discover the cape. A 182 will get nearly everywhere from Weipa as Australia is pretty narrow up there. HF is good but for safety a hand held sat phone is a must. A new 406 mhz ELT wouldn't hurt either. I'd suggest 10 litres of water as it might take a while for someone to get to you if you break down, & make sure it's in a good container as plastic bottles don't survive "heavy landings" very well. Turbulence is usualy not too bad that time of year, but keep an eye on the weather as the wet season with associated cyclones etc can sometimes drag into May or even April. Best to wait for the monsoon to move north again. It would be worth your while to travel through YIFL & plan to stop overnight for a cold beer, as the bloke who runs the school there has forgotten more about flying up north than most people will ever know. It's also a good base to explore the reef & Gulf region. Hope that helps.

DeafStar
7th Jan 2006, 23:43
When you get as far as Bamaga or Horn Island be aware that it can get very busy up there. Usually prior to the Arrival of the Qantaslink Dash-8. All the lighties coming in to HID to feed this service can equal a nightmare for those not familiar. Dont be scared to hold for a few minutes if you come on this busy period. All the pilots know each other and all the callsigns up there so the radio calls can come thick and fast.

Fuel is best gotten from HID as I think there is only drum stock at Bamaga.

On the way up pay particular attention to Lockhart River Wx. This time of year the Wx seems to localise itself right on top of LHR so make sure you got your holding fuel if your going to refuel there.

Enjoy FNQ! A beautiful place to fly around.

Avgas172
9th Jan 2006, 10:30
Hi There, We will be flying ycwr-ybtl around that time in an (ageing) C172 send us a pm if you are around this area at that time and maybe we can hook up (my bride's not a keen aviatrix either) I Learnt to fly at Cairns Aero Club and grew up in that neck of the North
cheers

RENURPP
9th Jan 2006, 13:47
Flywatcher, give us a bit more info and i will try and help you out. PM me if you like.

How long have you got, what sort of budget. What are your main interests, tourist attractions like Ayres Rock Katherine Gorge and Cairns or a little more adventurous. Fishing, cattle station, or an interest in visiting aboriginal communities?

Wouldn't worry too much about water etc until you have a more definite plan. If you intend following major highways, have HF and only landing at reasonable size airports then lots of water will not be quite as important as if you fly Birdsville direct to Alice etc.

With a C182, you will have good range, you should not have too many problems getting fuel at some of the larger airports and won't need pumps and fuel transported in for you, but again wait until you have a better idea of where you are going.

whilst a sat phone would certainly be handy, (I have been flying around the NT and QLD for 20+ years and never had one) it certainly is not essential. Like wise with HF. If you have one great, if you don't then you may consider your route.

You will find the centre still gets pretty hot that time of year and therefore turbulence. Mornings are best, better vis, cooler and turbulence less likely.

Anyway drop a pm and I will try and help you out

The Voice
9th Jan 2006, 19:06
the best thing we ever did was buy a satphone .. you can in fact rent one if you'd prefer .. but I'd certainly make that a consideration.

Sunfish
9th Jan 2006, 19:14
Fly into Escott cattle station near Burketown they have a little motel and you can do some barramundi fishing unlesss theplace has changed. Look in your Ersa and give them a ring.

flywatcher
25th Jan 2006, 08:00
Thank you for the replies and the pm's. I really appreciate the input from the forum and hope to meet some of you on the way. Thanks again.