PDA

View Full Version : Best ATC as voted by pilots thread

Algy
6th Jan 2006, 16:06
A long time ago (3yrs???) there was a lengthy Pprune thread in which pilots expressed their views about which ATC units worldwide gave the best service. I've got a serious reason for wanting to find it but I'm struggling. Anyone able to point me to it? Tks. Algy

cossack
6th Jan 2006, 17:27
Why not just start a new one? If the old one turns up you have a good comparison of opinions then and now.

Over+Out
6th Jan 2006, 17:46
I vote for TC................Oh, thats where I work!!

Jerricho
6th Jan 2006, 17:54
Algy, at the risk of sounding a little rude, please tell me you're not going to use it/reference it for an article or media story.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Jan 2006, 19:51
Ignore him - he's a journo.....

Algy
9th Jan 2006, 08:33
As one Ppruner to another, perhaps you'd like to explain your 'reasoning' HD.

AlanM
9th Jan 2006, 09:19
Algy - I can't answer for HD but when I clicked on your name, and visited your website, it looked to be of media/jounalistic interest.

(Having a website called Air Transport Intelligence was the clue)

Algy
9th Jan 2006, 09:27
It's a bit more than a clue really. My profile includes my job title and the names of all the publications that I am associated with. It has done since I joined Pprune in 1997. And I have on occasion made posts containing my real name when I've acted as a spokesman for those publications. How much more transparent would you like me to be?

I'm not asking HD to explain how he divined that I'm a journalist. I'm asking him to explain why I should be ignored.

And I'll say in passing that, as a regular Pprune contributor, this is the only forum in which I've received this kind of weirdly negative response.

AlanM
9th Jan 2006, 09:32
Algy,

The fact that you have not hid under the veil of anonymity does you credit, but you asked what could be described as a "spikey" question.

Given that most lurkers on here are ATC, then what do you expect?!

Perhaps asking pilots as opposed to ATCOs would get you a better and more reasoned response.

GT3
9th Jan 2006, 10:07
I think Heathrow are the best.....

Gonzo
9th Jan 2006, 10:21
If we're being judged, can I suggest we start a 'Best pilots as voted by ATC' thread???:E

one25six
9th Jan 2006, 12:21
The problem is that the premise of the question itself is just too ridiculous.
What is best? Best you had on a particular day?
Safest or quickest?
Easiest using the best equipment with adequate staffing vs. easiest using crappy equipment and short-staffing?
It is so subjective and incomparable to be the equivalent of "which country in the world has the best citizens?"

Why not ask an American what the most democratic country in the world is?

Spuds McKenzie
9th Jan 2006, 13:03
Why not ask an American what the most democratic country in the world is?
Ummm... Iraq? :}

Sorry, couldn't resist.

AlanM
9th Jan 2006, 13:05
I think Heathrow are the best.....

I agree :E

Especially those lovely SVFR types

GT3
9th Jan 2006, 17:07
Oh those Special (needs) boys are certianly a cut above!

Barnaby the Bear
9th Jan 2006, 17:13
The unit I work at is full of jolly nice chaps........Am I bias?

Barnaby the Bear
9th Jan 2006, 17:18
If you are going to write an article. Can you please inform the rest of the world that we don't wave Ping Pong bats around. Every bloody Christmas in the pub its the same!

Must go, electro therapy session.....

Short Approach?
9th Jan 2006, 19:06
That's just great guys!

Now he's most likely to come up with a store about insane and mentaly unstabile ATCOs....
And boy is he spot on! :-))

PPRuNe Radar
9th Jan 2006, 19:33
Algy

Ignore HD - he's retired and so must be a grumpy old git, it's expected of him ;)

Seriously though, the query is far too broad based so as to be meaningless. What is meant by 'best' ?? Overall, in specific areas, or just subjectively ?? And how do we measure it ? What's the control sample ? What's the survey group and makeup ? And so on and so forth.

If it's things like delays you want to measure, then for Europe at least, Eurocontrol publish tables. But these are just raw data, there is no account of airspace complexity, constraints, etc. Or if it's cost, then there is a similar thing. But again, no account of charging regimes, government 'assistance', cross subsidies, etc. Or if it's aircraft moved per staff member ....... the list goes on. None conclusively prove anything as you often compare apples with oranges and there is little info on what weighting is given to any assumptions being made.

If you want to know who is best in class, then you need to provide a lot of data on what you want to measure to provide anything meaningful.

Regards

PR

ShyTorque
9th Jan 2006, 22:07
How about the old airline pilot who said after landing: "That was my last flight ever. I've been based here twenty years now and I'd just like to thank you folks in ATC, here at xxxx; the service you've given to me over all these years narrowly puts you in second place...."

ATC: "Thanks, but can we ask- who beat us?"

Pilot: "EVERYONE ELSE!" :E
-------------------------------------

Seriously, the service we get in UK is really very good all round but the London controllers take some beating (sometimes we'd like to beat them harder ......only joking).

P.S. So, next time out of Battersea - can I go straight to Brent, please? :D

Jerricho
9th Jan 2006, 23:38
You didn't answer my question Algy........................ :rolleyes:

AlanM
10th Jan 2006, 07:29
P.S. So, next time out of Battersea - can I go straight to Brent, please? :D

I do hope my colleagues haven't been re-routeing your shiny helicopter mate!

Shame on them. Does that drop us a place in your league table!?!?!? :)

Dances with Boffins
10th Jan 2006, 12:18
You will probably find that it is a unit in the UK.

one25six
10th Jan 2006, 12:54
Your answer probably lies with the logic of Richard Branson when challenging British Airways claim to being the Worlds Favourite Airline (based on the fact they carried more passengers) , that therefore the M25 is Britains favourite road.

Along these lines the Stasi was East Germany's favourite law enforcement agency.

And the FAA are therefore the worlds best controllers (and who knows - maybe they are? But how the hell do you measure it? See my previous post)

Barnaby the Bear
10th Jan 2006, 17:14
My unit is the best..............oh and I am Sparticus!!!

450volts!

Tycoon
20th Jan 2006, 12:09
Algy

You wanted contrller opinion and you got it!!!

Ask one question and get 50 different answers. Welcome to air traffic. I am sure if we tried we could find 100 different ways of putting a plug in a socket and then in no way agree on the best way. Good luck writing any sort of article on ATCO's!!!!

chevvron
20th Jan 2006, 12:41
Er, I thought it was spelt Spartacus, least it was for Kirk Douglas (father in law of Catherine Zeta for you young kids)

Lon More
20th Jan 2006, 19:39
Don't know about the best, being retired - but have some good ideas about the worst.
(Where's TrafficTraffic when you need him?):p :p

Point Seven
20th Jan 2006, 21:28
AlanM
Heathrow SVFR are definitely the best. To provide the level of service that they do whilst often having both feet on the desk and doing the Telegraph crossword is truly something to behold. To get as much traffic as they do on the Heli routes whilst often not wearing their headset is astonishing.
And to do all of this with Prince Ed on the team is the icing on the cake. Congrats.:E
P7
Oh and congrats on the little one too mate. Love to the other half.

mats3
23rd Jan 2006, 21:15
A little AlanM:eek: I hope he/she takes after mum.:ok:

AlanM
24th Jan 2006, 06:07
Point Seven - Again you are talking b010cks mate.

After all....no-one there can even do "Sudoko for spangles" - let alone the Torygraph crossword !

(Thanks - MrsM well!)

TrafficTraffic
24th Jan 2006, 08:22
:{ Sorry Lon,
Just finished a BBQ and a swim in the pool....
The problem with the thread is in the title....
Best ATC as voted by pilots thread
I could only comment on the Best ATC as voted by ATCs - and that of course would be obvious -
:cool: as would the worse ATC as Voted by ATCs
Look West Lon...on a good day you can see the coast! :{

SilentHandover
24th Jan 2006, 09:50
AlanM no fair how are we meant to have a go at you when you do it first!!!!

Hurumph

Lon More
24th Jan 2006, 15:34
TT Is the screen still big & green?

Temperature here below freezing all day.

Jerricho
25th Jan 2006, 00:32
One thinks Algy has changed his mind.

siam
25th Jan 2006, 08:32
My unit is the best..............oh and I am Sparticus!!!
450volts!

Dont be ridiculous, my unit is the best and I am Sparticus!

effortless
25th Jan 2006, 09:19
Ah those kindly, reassuring tones from Croydon Tower, heady days and so polite.

may force be with me
25th Jan 2006, 22:24
Guys, guys, hallo!!!! Who ever told you that the best ATC is in the UK?????? You are not even close to THE location!

frostbite
26th Jan 2006, 11:55
S'obvious - we have the best of everything in the world - our government and the media tell us so.

Exhaust Manifold
27th Jan 2006, 13:01
Like it's been said before, this question doesn't specify exactly what you want. African ATC is always said to be lacking, but I find that some of them do really well with what they've got. Then again i've also found bad ATC from place with some of the best tech in the world.