PDA

View Full Version : Bare CPL or ME IR

alfie7_1985
5th Jan 2006, 23:14
Hey guys this is my first post so please excuse me if this question has already been answered in pervious months. I have just finished my 3 year Bachelor of Aviation University degree @ Griffith University and during that time aquired my PPL ,NVFR and completed the 7 CPL theory subjects. I am now at that point in my career where I have to obviously complete my CPL but then I am tossing up on whether to:

1. do an instructors' rating
2. go out looking for a job with a bare CPL or;
3. Complete my ME IR then go out and look for a job in the GA.

Can anyone shed some light on which is probably the smartest way to go. I have just been bombarded with so much comflicting information as to what route to take over the past couple years that it is really hard to make a decision.

I have been told my numerous people that if you want to go out and work in Broome, Darwin etc even though u will initially be flying C172 - C210 type aircraft, employers stil like you to have a ME IR and they also like you to have a few night hours up your sleeve --> can anyone confirm this??

I am in no way put off by relocating, putting in the hard yards, doing scenics etc etc etc. I just want to make sure I make the right decision. Thanks in advance to everyones advice and opinions.

Tony

Mr Garrison
5th Jan 2006, 23:30
G'day Alfie,

There is no right or wrong way about going about which path to take as far as training is concerned. Obvioulsy first and foremost - you need to get the CPL(A) ticket.

From there its up to you and your finances too!

You can choose the MECIR route. The advantage of this is that you can get it out of the way and it will enhance your flying skill to a higher level than what CPL does. The disadvantage is that after completing the rating you will no doubt get a job that is mostly VFR as you will have low hours and before employers put you on IFR runs, they will want to see a few hours in your book.

I have my CPL(A) with NVFR and I'm going north this year. I decided to not do the MECIR as I just want to get out there and fly......In the off season is when I will do the rating. This is good for me in the sense that I'm out there and flying, but bad that I will have to go back and do more training etc etc....but always remember you have a choice, and there is never a wrong or right choice but a choice that you see fit at the time of making it.

I wouldn't bother with instructor rating - just get out there and get as many hours as you can......instructors don't do a lot of flying compared to charter guys in places like Broome and Kununurra.

All the best with it all.......PM me if you want more info.

Mr G

:ok:

alfie7_1985
5th Jan 2006, 23:40
Cheers for that Mr G sounds like your basically in the same boat as I will be in in a couple months or so. I think I agree with your point though that it is best to just get out there and get some hours and then in the wet season come back. I really would like to get a job up in NQ, WA or NT. Would be a great life experience, make great mates, great so awesome hours (hopefully!!!) etc. Hope to see ya up there

Tony

flaming_moe
5th Jan 2006, 23:57
Welcome to Pprune Alfie. When I first got my CPL I was'nt the slightest bit interested in completing an instrument or instructors rating, so I went out and got a job.
Its worked okay for me so far, ive got just under 1000hrs, and right this very minute am on a break from studying IF Law (my first exam). I guess i've saved myself cash by not needing to keep current too. You guys over the ditch are lucky having a wet season, that would be a perfect time to get it out of the way. Over here in Kiweeland im having to slot study and training into my one day off a week!.
Go out there and get yourself your first job, get some hours up and you'll find it easier doing it later as you pick up heaps of background knowledge about IF flying along the way. Good Luck!

MOE :ok:

alfie7_1985
6th Jan 2006, 00:01
Cheers Flaming_moe..question for you...where did you complete you flight training? I've got a very good mate who has just left Australia (was doing the Uni degree with me here in Brisbane) and has gone home to complete his last ATPL theory subject. He did his flight training at Christchurch at International Academy of Aviation (think thats what it is called) and his is also working on his instructor rating

Captain Nomad
6th Jan 2006, 00:03
Yep, this subject has definitely been done before so try hitting 'search' as well.

Don't forget that although you probably won't use a MECIR early on there are a number of operators that will specify a minimum number of renewals for some jobs (three being a common number - and that's RENEWALS after initial issue). I remember one guy in particular who wasn't able to move on because he didn't have the three renewals required - met all other requirements. I'm not just talking RFDS for that requirement either. Bongo drivers in Surveillance Australia and some charter mobs for example. You don't have to use the rating during the year - just do the renewal every 12 months to meet that requirement.

Plus, you never know when you might be able to get the odd IFR ferry flight or something like that which will help along your IF totals.

Just another bit of info for consideration!;)

flaming_moe
6th Jan 2006, 00:09
Yeah a few of my mates went to the academy, good bunch but its a bit of a factory! I was loading for Air NZ to pay for my licence, trained at the Air NZ Flying Club at Christchurch Intl.

ANDRE25i
6th Jan 2006, 00:15
alfie, check ya PM's mate
cheers