PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Brussels

Cricket23
5th Jan 2006, 21:03
Hi,
For my sins I quite often have to go to Brussels, and have wondered if this is a practical journey for a GA type. Does anyone know for example if Brussels airport welcome GA and what landing fees they charge. - If it helps, I'd be flying a single engine prop cruising at about 125kts.
...or am I just plain daft?!

Keef
5th Jan 2006, 21:08
My understanding (not done it) is that the main Brussels airport isn't ideal for GA, but that Grimbergen is friendly.

helicopter-redeye
5th Jan 2006, 21:09
I go there most weeks as well and most the 'GA' parked on the 'GA Ramp' would make rich kids cry. There are some significant limitations on National, but a couple of other local fields that are quite close that may be better.

There is one at about 19DME West under the 25R departure towards AFI & Kerky.

Just after the river, on the right (for the VFR flyers)

bookworm
6th Jan 2006, 07:31
Does anyone know for example if Brussels airport welcome GA and what landing fees they charge.

While Brussels is not unfriendly to GA, the charges, particularly in peak hours, are high.

Antwerp provides a good value alternative. It's a short taxi ride from EBAW (or even a walk if you're lightly loaded) to Antwerp Berchem train station and then 35 mins into the centre of Brussels.

http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/

2Donkeys
6th Jan 2006, 08:08
Peak Hour charging was done-away with at Brussels some time ago. Now everything is charged on the former peak basis.

Think in terms of 200-300 Euros for an overnight stay in a light piston single. In terms of actual accessibility and ease of use, there is absolutely no problem - the ONLY consideration is financial.

turniphead
6th Jan 2006, 09:23
Grimbergen is cheap and friendly.
3 problems.
1.essentail phone for PPR and noise abatement circuits./dowload details from website
2.Suggest pre-book taxi by phone well in advance (at least 1 hour) as are slow to arrive.
3.No customs available so a quick stop at Kortrijk/Ostend needed.

Cricket23
6th Jan 2006, 22:40
Thanks all for your helpful comments. Seems like it's possible after all.:ok:

deing
7th Jan 2006, 18:34
Some info out of the Belgian AIP

IFR
ACFT unable to maintain 160 kt until OM will not be accepted between 0700-0900, 1200-1300 and 1600-1900 (times refer to ATA)

VFR
The published routes are compulsory for all flights. All the routes are allocated at ATC discretion according to the TFC situation.
VFR flights shall not be allowed within the Brussels CTR/TMA from MON to FRI during the periods between 0700-0900, 1200-1300 and 1600-1900.
VFR flights shall not be allowed within the Brussels CTR/TMA on SAT between 0700-0800 and on SUN between 1600-1900.

Ref costs :
All the charges are based on a minimum weight of 25T which means a minimum bill of around 220 Euros (heli's are much cheapier to land as the min.weight is only 5T for them)

If needed I can provide some more info
Rgds,
Deing

2Donkeys
7th Jan 2006, 18:57
My experiences of Brussels is that they are not nearly as busy as the AIP would have you believe, and with a flightplan filed, you will not be denied access (IFR or VFR) regardless of the documented restrictions.

TaxiOperator
9th Jan 2006, 21:20
While Brussels will accept you at almost all times, I'd suggest that you look at the larger surrounding airports.
Both EBAW (a bit north), or EBCI (really, really south) are perfect alternatives, have IFR approaches and will cost you far less. EUR 25 should get you in and out plus approx EUR 10 per additional PAX.

Overnight tarmac parking is available at both places, hangaring depends on your negotiation skills with the private operators.

hugh flung_dung
13th Jan 2006, 16:37
I also go to Brussels reasonably frequently - in fact I was there for 3 days this week. I took a Partenavia once, vectored from a fair way out and then a fairly fast (for a Partenavia) ILS to avoid upsetting the flow for the big boys and girls - the only difficult bit was taxying to/from the GA handlers (Abelag?). These days I usually take the Eurostar and enjoy the meal and wine on the way home whilst reading/writing/sleeping.

HFD

GroundBound
19th Jan 2006, 07:59
Grimbergen is my home base, and my office overlooks Brussels airport. :}
Brussels ATC are fine - but remember you will be flying VFR in Class B/C. I think though, you will find the fees quite high, and I suspect you need a handling agent, there (check this though). Its not really intended for light GA, but its not impossible. The former SABENA flying club used to fly their a/c the 5 miles from Grimbergen to Brussels for maintenenace, as a matter of routine.
Remember, if coming from the UK you are not part of Shengan. This means that you MUST depart from, and land at, a customs airport. Antwerp (North) and Charleroi (South) both fulfill that role - but Grimbergen (nearest) doesn't - so you will have to stop off on the way at any customs airfield e.g. Calais, Ostende before landing at Grimbergen.
Grimbergen is a PPR airfield, mainly used by the flying clubs, resident a/c and some GA visitors - but it is not configured as a GA substitute for Brussels. It is very close to Brussels and has a shortened circuit with an early base turn for landing on 01, to remain clear of Brussels airport. A little care is all that's required, though.
Transport from Grimbergen to the city is available, but don't count on it being quick. Taxis are not cheap here, either.
If you need more - let me know.
GB

Cricket23
19th Jan 2006, 12:09
Thanks all for your replies. Food for thought!

C23

deing
20th Jan 2006, 03:55
Handling is not compulsory at Brussels, you can just park outside the General Aviation Terminal

Rgds,
Deing