PDA

View Full Version : Ever feel like a radio celebrity?

ASD
5th Jan 2006, 19:51
Was thinking about it the other day...

As an ATC we talk on the radio... or at least to say that the radio is a major tool needed to perform our job function!

How many listeners are there out there? Besides all the pilots supposedly listening out on frequency as they should be, there are those aviation enthusiasts who own there own handheld scanner just to listen in for the fun of it.

Then there is the internet which is so accessible to listen in to many airport frequencies which seems to be very popular.

You got to wonder who is actually listening to you when you simply doing your job.

Autograph anyone? :E

av8boy
5th Jan 2006, 21:03
Actually, I moved up in the ATC world (what... more than 20 years ago now!) because I was working at a very busy VFR tower and the manager at a nearby big tracon tuned-in to hear how I was doing. He called me and hired me. Weired world...
And speaking of odd things, having grown-up in the US just south of the Canadian border, I thought I knew what Canadians sounded like. However, now when I have a listen to some Canadian controllers online, the accent often seems almost Aussie... Very talented lot, them Canadians with the speech defects, none-the-less... :)
Dave

Jerricho
6th Jan 2006, 01:23
The cheque is in the mail Dave :ok: ;)

av8boy
6th Jan 2006, 03:45
"Check," buddy. "Check."

:)

chevvron
6th Jan 2006, 13:23
Yes but my wife won't let me!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Jan 2006, 13:34
Several Heathrow ATCOs have been part-time DJs but one combined both skills one memorable morning at Christmastime long, long ago.. He was the SVFR controller and Capital Radio, by way of thanks for services rendered, offered him 20 seconds "live" on-air. They did this by relaying the transmision from 119.9 to whatever frequency Capital used. The ATCO used his time to great effect, finishing by saying "And for Nic and Roly, I just beat your old man at snooker". Nic and Roly are my two sons and they were chuffed to hear their names on the radio! (I never did beat him at snooker).

Imagine that happening now..................

Lon More
6th Jan 2006, 13:36
Ever feel like a radio celebrity?

Yes, but I couldn't eat a whole one.

White Hart
6th Jan 2006, 14:08
We've got a couple of guys in the LL Twr who sound like radio celebs.....

Smashie and Nicey !! :p

(wise words there, mate - and he does it all for charrriideee! ;) )

Doug E Style
6th Jan 2006, 14:34
You ain't seen nothin' yet mate, let's rock!!!

chevvron
6th Jan 2006, 14:53
Come to think of it, my wife IS one (94.9 but I'm not saying which programme!)

Jerricho
6th Jan 2006, 14:56
When Gonzo had hair, he looked very much like Chris Evans ;)

cossack
6th Jan 2006, 15:40
Mrs C says I have a face for radio.:hmm:

Lock n' Load
6th Jan 2006, 15:40
With over 10,000 posts, Jerricho must be one of those ubiquitous celebs who'll turn up for the opening of an envelope. :E I propose we rename him Cilla. ;)

chevvron
6th Jan 2006, 16:49
Way back in about '69 or '70, on Christmas day, the Heathrow ATIS from BNN was SUNG to the tune of Hark the Herald Angels Sing.