PDA

View Full Version : ATC interview

Mikey2006
4th Jan 2006, 14:40
Hi there

I have my technical interview in a couple of weeks and I was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on a couple of questions?

1) If 3 different planes ask for clearance to land at the same time and are doing different how do you decide who lands first. Do certain planes get priority over others?

2) If I am given a map of an airport what problems might the surrounding area cause? This question appears to always come up in interviews but apart from obvious things I can't think any further.

Hope someone can help. Also if you've got any other hints and tips they would be greatly appreciated.

runtobarlu
4th Jan 2006, 15:34
Is your airport next to Mt Everest...hmmm

Is your airport next to an estate containing 5000 houses..hmmmm

Is your airport in the sahara in the middle of the day.....hmmm
(this one may need a bit of inside knowledge- Janes Book of Slow Climbing TMA departures is a good reference )

Good luck !!!

Mikey2006
4th Jan 2006, 15:51
Thanks a lot. I was just checking I wasn't missing anything too obvious which I don't seem to be.

Good luck aswell!!

Standard Noise
4th Jan 2006, 19:40
If 3 different planes ask for clearance to land at the same time and are doing different(sic) how do you decide who lands first?

Well, as a radar man, I'd say to number one "XXX123, keep the speed up, route direct the centrefix r/w 27 number one." To the second, I'd slow him down a little and the farthest away would be popped in at the end.
As a tower man, I'd clear the one in front to land, then the second (once no1 was clear of the drag), then the third (ditto), since radar will have kindly sorted your landing order for you.

Good luck with it.

NudgingSteel
4th Jan 2006, 21:55
I got asked the three-plane question at mine, years ago. A 747, an ATP and a Cessna 172 - what order would you put them in and why.

747 then ATP then 172 works best for speed purposes (fastest first, slowest last).
Unfortunately, 172 then ATP then 747 works best from a wake vortex point of view!
Whichever way, explain your thinking.

As to the second thing I'd guess you've already ticked off high ground, populated areas, concentrations of birds (where do they gather?), things that cause fog etc.

Best of luck!