PDA

View Full Version : Ch701 / Murphy / Tecnam Echo ????

MEON VALLEY FLYER
4th Jan 2006, 07:37
Looking to get back into flying and a suitable machine to do so.

Wanting a pfa type suitable for 2 persons, tri gear and happy to live on a max 400m no so level farm strip. Must be old fashioned ally construction and prefer a more modern engine, such as rotax or jab. 4 stroke ( able to run on mogas ?).

The three above caught my eye, but anyone any experience to offer. Also having problems getting pricing on the last two.:)

muffin
4th Jan 2006, 07:50
Also look at the Eurostar EV97. This one is also available factory built as a microlight and will meet all your points.

surely not
4th Jan 2006, 09:24
Just looked at the website for the Eurostar EV97 available from FlyCB and was amazed that they charge £99.00 per hour for dual and £75.00 per hour self hire!

I thought the idea was to get the cost of flying down by flying a microlight?

Confabulous
4th Jan 2006, 11:47
£99? At least they'll make a profit...

Do you want to build one or buy it secondhand?

MEON VALLEY FLYER
5th Jan 2006, 12:07
Yes looking to build one. Just never been at this end of the market before.

The CH701 looks the favourite for now. Despite the low cruising speed. Although with someone with a business to run, young family and wife to keep happy. Really just looking for a machine for 'bimbling locally' and something for 'myself'

Not in any hurry to decide as yet. But info and pricing on the tecnam seems hard to come by. or is it just me internet skills ?

Confabulous
5th Jan 2006, 12:28
Yep, pricing info does seem hard to come by - maybe contact the UK dealer?

BMAA flight test article, including some price details (http://www.bmaa.org/pubsarticle.asp?MagArticleID=61)

DBo
5th Jan 2006, 14:18
If you're thinking about a 701 check out the Savannah - basically an Italian copy of the 701. The pricing is pretty attractive.

http://www.sandtoft-ultralights.co.uk/

It's approved as a microlight with a Jabiru 2200 engine in the UK & is allegedly pretty quick to build.

MEON VALLEY FLYER
5th Jan 2006, 15:13
DBo

The savannah is basically a pirate copy of the 701 from a company with no design background. I also here they were grounded last summer after a structual failure in Norway.

Just get a bad gut feeling about pirate copies on anything

WaspJunior
5th Jan 2006, 18:26
Have you seen the Breezer by Comco Ikarus of Germany? It was displayed at the Sport Aviation Show, NEC Birmingham at end of November. A stunning looking aircraft a bit like a Monsun or Robin Alpha and beautifully engineered. (I have no connection... just want one thats all) Good short field capability and plenty of room. The only drawback being the price of around £37k + VAT for the airframe kit and engine and having to build it!

Genghis the Engineer
5th Jan 2006, 21:09
DBo

The savannah is basically a pirate copy of the 701 from a company with no design background. I also here they were grounded last summer after a structual failure in Norway.

Just get a bad gut feeling about pirate copies on anything

True enough that the Savannah is a "chinese copy" (actually Italian) of the CH701.

However, the company who make it in Italy have JAA approvals and make sub-assemblies for Boeing, the BMAA team (all of whom I know) did an incredibly professional job of getting it right for UK approval (admittedly including a number of design fixes) and, last I looked, it was about £10k cheaper.

I've flown (the UK versions of) both, and to be honest, there's not a great deal to choose between them.

On another note, there are basically two modern 4-strokes you're likely to come across: the Rotax 912 and the Jabiru 2200. They'll both run on either MOGAS or AVGAS, but in general the 912 is much happier on MOGAS, and the 2200 is much happier on AVGAS.

I'd also by the way take a look at the Zenair CH601 Zodiac.

G