PDA

View Full Version : Voltage regulator 2a Circa 1945?

TNelson
3rd Jan 2006, 20:43
Hello

My father has often talked about his part in the design of an aircraft voltage regulator which he knows as Type 2A, when at BT-H Rugby around 1945. I would like to know more about these, what they were fitted to, has anyone got one under their stairs etc, etc. He says they employed Thyratrons and Saturable Reactors, and the whole thing was about 15" dia by 12" tall. They were built by BT-H in Rugby and MetroVicks in Trafford Park.

Thanks for any pointers
Tim

Beeayeate
3rd Jan 2006, 23:00
My father has often talked about his part in the design of an aircraft voltage regulator which he knows as Type 2A . . .

There is a Type 2B voltage regulator for sale on Ebay at the moment. Item number: 5650554948

Type 2A? Circa 1945(ish).

Not much help I guess, sorry.

Bus429
4th Jan 2006, 07:28
Aah....magnetic amplifiers.
I bet it wasn't a light-weight unit!;)

TNelson
4th Jan 2006, 08:58
There is a Type 2B voltage regulator for sale on Ebay at the moment. Item number: 5650554948

Type 2A? Circa 1945(ish).

Not much help I guess, sorry.

Closer than I've been able to find up to now. Judging by the rest of what he's selling it's very likely off a Canberra. The 2A was made for prop driven craft, but it would be interesting to find out whether there are major differences between A and B. As far as my father remembers, the initial order was for 5000 units, so they must have been fitted to a few different aircraft types.

Thanks
Tim

Milt
4th Jan 2006, 09:10
Remember the Carbon Pile regulators fitted to the Gooney Birds and I expect most early WW2 aircraft.

What was the next evolutionary regulator?