PDA

View Full Version : can I convert my mobile phone handset to pay-as-you-go?

notdavegorman
3rd Jan 2006, 11:02
Hello ladies & gentleman,

Mine isn't really a computing or internet question, but never the less, I thought this would be the place to ask it.

I'm getting increasingly fed up with changing mobile phones every 12 months, it seems to get the best deals I have to change handset/tariff/network etc, and each time I've done so it's been so much hassle.

I've finally found a handset I like (std Nokia brick), I was wondering if it was possible convert it to a pay-as-you-go one?

Makes sense as I don't use many minutes a month, have no desire for the latest handset and don't wish to continue to subside others through an uncompetitive line rental rate.

whiz
3rd Jan 2006, 11:08
ndg

I have just changed from an Orange contract to 02 pay as you go. 02 are offering free sim cards on their website, just fill in an on-line form and wait for the beast to arrive. The particular deal I chose was a mixture of 100 texts/100 free anytime any network minutes for £10/month. There should be no problem converting the phone, just ask your current provider for a PAC number which allows you to take your existing number to your new provider.

joe2812
3rd Jan 2006, 11:49
If it's a contract phone you can put any SIM card you like in it, from any network. Are you wanting to convert your current contract handset into a PAYG phone?

If so, get a PAYG SIM card and just put it in the phone, as contract phones will take any provider's SIM, it is the ones which come originally as PAYG which are locked to a specific network.

whiz
3rd Jan 2006, 14:03
If so, get a PAYG SIM card and just put it in the phone, as contract phones will take any provider's SIM, it is the ones which come originally as PAYG which are locked to a specific network.

My phone was (is until 040106) a contract phone from Orange and it wont accept my 02 sim card until my notice period with Orange ends. I have tried to transfer numbers and info from my Orange sim card to the 02 card but as soon as the phone boots up I get an error message saying 'incorrect sim card' I have transferred all my gen from the sim card into the phone in the hope that I can then transfer it onto the 02 sim card when it becomes valid

joe2812
3rd Jan 2006, 14:39
My dad used to get a free upgrade every 12 months (on O2), which he never wanted as he was happy with the one he had... That meant moi got a free phone and always put my Vodafone PAYG SIM in.

Perhaps it's network specific?

rugmuncher
3rd Jan 2006, 16:19
http://www.theunlocker.co.uk/mobile_phone_unlocking.php

Keef
3rd Jan 2006, 20:10
Voda and O2 phones are normally provided unlocked, Orange and T-Mobile normally locked. It doesn't matter whether they are PAYG or contract.

You can get phones unlocked - typically for £10 but there are other offers around.

Unless your number is important to you, you can usually get a PAYG SIM for very little (O2 often give them away free). Forget the PAC code stuff, and tell the people who matter what your new number is.

HOWEVER...

Some of the networks will "negotiate" if you are a good customer. No new phone, another year of contract, and pay maybe 60% of the "full" contract rate. I like the contract I'm on - £18 a month for 200 anytime any-network minutes, plus some free texts and some free WAP/GPRS. I've never used all the free minutes etc that I get; the unused minutes carry over (up to a limit). If I want to make a phone call, I just do so, knowing it's not going to cost me anything. That's a nice facility, compared with thinking as you talk "this is costing me 25p a minute" or whatever.

Paris Dakar
3rd Jan 2006, 20:28
notdavegorman,

Excellent point made by 'Keef' - I did this with T-mobile 4 weeks ago.

Ask your provider what deal they will do if you agree to keep your current handset - you could be quite surprised.

PD

terryJones
4th Jan 2006, 22:28
Last year I had a Motorola 'phone, which I had unlocked and a new Vodaphone PAYG sim for 15£ down our Sunday Market. For that the sim came with £10 credit...
There is bound to be a similar 'service' near you, '3' wanted over a hundred pounds, yes 100£ to unlock it, so shop around

rugmuncher
5th Jan 2006, 14:04
Save your £15 at the local sunday market or £100 for a similar service,,,,

Follow the link I posted and you can then unlock phones yourself,,,and then for others for maybe £5 a pop!!!!

Google'ing for other phone makes unlocking calculators will also be productive!

Memetic
6th Jan 2006, 00:41
Hi, if you are comming off a contract and want your hand set unlocked just keep telling the network to unlock you AFTER you have had your last bill (I think that helps as its hassle for them to bill you the unlock fee. YOU own the phone not them. T-Mobile just unlocked my old p900 after 2 calls!

As for free sims take a look at http://mates.o2.co.uk I got sent the link today and it was still live. Or just go on ebay, with this offer runnig it will be flooded with cards!