PDA

View Full Version : Pressure question

DrRedHead
3rd Jan 2006, 10:46
I was asked this question and i dont know the answer so if anyone could help me it would be great,

say you have a cuboid length being 3cm height and breadth being 2 cm and inside the cuboid the atmosphere is 3x's its norm, is there a greater amount of force acting on the 4cm(squared) side then the 6cm(squared) side

i know that Pressure = Force/Area therefore Force = Pressure X Area

Any help

Farmer 1
3rd Jan 2006, 12:54
i know that Pressure = Force/Area therefore Force = Pressure X Area

Any helpYou have the equation, DrRedHead. Believe it.

Pressure is constant throughout, so each square unit has the same force acting on it. So, double the area, for instance, and you double the force.

chornedsnorkack
3rd Jan 2006, 13:39
Indeed. And the answer is true.

That has been called "hydraulic paradox". Applying a small amount of force on a small surface can bring about a larger force on a larger surface, because the pressure in a closed vessel of fluid is uniform (neglecting gravity etc.).

Note that if you actually move the surfaces, then the pressure inside stays constant if the volume stays constant. Which it does if the volume changes on both surfaces cancel out. And they do, if the smaller surface moves for a larger distance than the larger surface.

Effectively, a fluid can amplify forces exactly as levers do - large movement of a small force can cause small movement of a large force.

And the 4 cm squared side will, of course, have a smaller force acting on it than the 6 cm squared side.

Dan Winterland
3rd Jan 2006, 14:39
Actually, if you've been pondering this question it just means you need to get out more!