PDA

View Full Version : Annoying antivirus problem

Hufty
3rd Jan 2006, 10:32
I recently bought a new laptop which came with a three month subscription to Norton Antivirus. This seems to work pretty well with the Norton Firewall that I installed but there is a strange problem associated with startup that I can't fix.

After the machine has booted up, you can hear it scanning for viruses for a minute or so then you get a wee Norton pop-up at the bottom of the screen telling me that the Antivirus is "waiting for a virus scan of" a file. It varies but it is normally a .bak or a .dtz file (from memory). I have tried finding these files and running a manual virus scan but they are always clean and the machine as a whole comes up clean.

I did get a virus warning from Norton not long after I got the machine and these problems began not long after.

I know you can disable these notifications but I was ust wondering if anybody knows if there is a reason for this happening or if my machine might be infected with anything?

I also have Ad-Aware, Spybot, Yahoo spyware detector and Microsoft Spyware dectector. These tend to find the odd cookie but nothing major.

:confused:

Hufty

Conan the Librarian
3rd Jan 2006, 20:07
Recently, Norton has changed its' behavior on my machine too. I hook up a PDA and every time that syncs with the main machine (an MP3 player would probably do the same thing) Norton checks any info that is inbound to the main desktop. I am happy with this, as it is ok taking time and trouble to ensure that nasties don't get onboard, but it would be a crying shame were it to sneak under the radar, so to speak.

For your particular case, do you have any installations that did not complete or go pear shaped? It sounds as though Norton is maybe trying to get to something there. Just re reading your post, a .bak or .bku is almost certainly a backup file of some sort. Try to get the file description and post it here. We might get a better clue

Conan

hobie
3rd Jan 2006, 21:11
I sometimes wonder if 'protection' progs from multi vendors can lead up to problems of conflict? :confused:

I'm aware that Norton supply a product called Norton internet Security that provides ....

antivirus ......
Anti spam (pop ups - Adds etc) ....
Firewall .....
Spyware and adware ....
etc ....

might it be better (if your a fan of NAV) to have all the protection running under a common vendor ?

Conan the Librarian
3rd Jan 2006, 23:23
Well, that is what Norton (Symantec really) Internet Security really does. A set of bolt on modules from the same software house all tied together by a problem (No! I was joking! Strike that from the record!!)

Conan

PS I found N Int Sec 2005 for £16+vat.

Hufty
4th Jan 2006, 10:49
Hi guys, the filename seems to be pretty randon although it always waits for a virus scan of one called wuredir.bak and an hpconfig file, although I couldn't see the file extension before it dieappeared. I have an HP printer and I downloaded drivers from the HP website a while before this started happening. I re-installed them just so see what happened but no change.

It isn't a big deal really - I was just worried that my PC may have a virus but is all seems fine??

:confused:

Hufty

effortless
4th Jan 2006, 11:23
Hpconfig is used for many HP hardware configuration issues. The most common AV / HPconfig conflict is when it is part of Activesync the PDA syncronisation routine.

Gouabafla
4th Jan 2006, 16:42
It might be worth running one of the online virus checkers (house call, for instance) to double check that you don't have a problem. False positives are not good because they can make you ignore real problems if you ever get one.

kriss1000
4th Jan 2006, 18:46
wuredir.bak

This file is part of Windows Update and is required to auto update