PDA

View Full Version : CX S/O or EK F/O

flamingmoe
2nd Jan 2006, 06:00
Which of these opportunities would be better overall? I think Cx would obviously be streets ahead over a 20-25yr career,but EK seems to offer more progression in the short term?

Food for thought..:confused:

wnafly
2nd Jan 2006, 06:10
Have you been given a choice?

flamingmoe
2nd Jan 2006, 08:58
I wish! Got interviews for both coming up.. I know pprune probably isnt the best place to seek balanced advice,but it's all i've got!:ok:

gaunty
2nd Jan 2006, 09:42
flamingmoe

If "getting hammered " from both sides of an issue doesn't provide some form of balance where then and what are you doing here?:rolleyes:

And prior you had somewhere else to be able to ask the question.....?:sad:

haughtney1
2nd Jan 2006, 09:46
EK Very unhappy ship at the Mo....

CX aussie mafia in place:uhoh: :hmm: :}

donpizmeov
2nd Jan 2006, 10:04
I guess I would use the thinking that I would take the first one that was offered. If you get both, and at the same time...you lucky lucky burstrad. I would suggest that if wealth in your future is a big player for you, CX is the way to go. If you want to sit in the left hand seat as soon as you can, it might be EK (but the time frame for the seat change is not a given. I think we have 82 aeroplanes now, and a planned fleet of 150-160ish by 2012 at the moment. This will no doubt change again many times by then. And the DEC factor is another unknown.)
With CX you may be able to get a base back in Oz if you want. With EK, you will not.
You will have both very good times, and some not so nice times at both. As you would have in any airline.
The good news is, if you do choose the wrong one, you only have the rest of your career to regret it.
Good luck with the interviews. Things always seem to work out the right way.

Don

turbantime
3rd Jan 2006, 20:12
I would have thought that if you have enough experience to get an EK F/O interview then you would be eligible to get a CX DEFO interview rather than a S/O?

In any case, if you're young then I'd go for CX but if a bit older where a "quicker command" is what you want then EK. Mind you, plenty of unhappy pilots in the Middle East forums compared to Fragrant Harbour forums.

Good Luck! :ok:

Chimbu chuckles
4th Jan 2006, 01:04
After 10 yrs you'll be about 1 million dollors better off at CX...if you are a little clever with your money. The 'golden handcuffs' at CX (the company pays off a nice appartment for you with your accom allowance over 10 yrs) is the real kicker...at EK they point you at an appartment/townhouse and say "You live here"....until a few years go by and the rent exceeds what they want to pay and they shift you somewhere cheaper...unless of course they shoved you somewhere cheap in the first place.

After 20 yrs you'll be approaching a position where you can retire early if you wish...or keep working if it's still fun....for a few more years before retiring early with your own aeroplane to fly when the mood takes.

Neither Dubai nor HK are all that nice to live in...but HK beats DXB hands down in my opinion...and CX offers basings in nice places as mentioned above.

If given a choice take CX...if not take whatever is offered and make the best of it.