PDA

View Full Version : New format

Bumz_Rush
1st Jan 2006, 12:46
A big surprise when I logged on this AM, thought I was on Hanger Talk.

I like the updated look, but miss the tool bar on the RNS (of recent posts).

Thanks guys for a great 2005, and lets hope 2006 is as much fun.

Bumz

Tone
1st Jan 2006, 16:00
Not happy at all with the new format, especially dislike the fact that the titles of selected threads come up in yellow on a grey background, perhaps not the best choice. Is it change for the sake of it or are there some benefits? We should be told.

P.Pilcher
1st Jan 2006, 16:01
Yes, and if I can believe my cookie editor, our logons will be valid for a year if we tick the "remember me" box - much better than the previous 24 hours!

P.P.

BEagle
1st Jan 2006, 16:11
Only 2 things I don't like:

1. The 'on line' icon doesn't seem to have an 'invisible' option any more.
2. The silly 'reputation' thing. We had something similar before and it was soon binned.

But Danny is obviously still tweaking and adjusting things.

Make that 3 things - I don't like 'time ago' instead of posting time either.

shuttlebus
1st Jan 2006, 16:20
As an engineer, my first thought is always

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Still got a real WOW factor when I logged in though....

I agree that some changes are maybe made for changes sake, rather than for a reason, but then again, you can't please everyone all of the time ;-) For instance, I preferred the post time, rather than the xx minutes ago format, but then, I guess it is what you are used too...?

I think it is wonderful that the volunteers, lead by Danny, have taken the time to give up their Christmas to re-decorate the site and improve our viewing experience...

Well done guys (and gals)....

Kind regards and seasons greetings!

Shuttlebus

Onan the Clumsy
1st Jan 2006, 16:23
Generally good changes, though personally I hate change :* :}

One thing I'm not keen on though is when viewing a thread, it's a lot less compact now, same with the forum summary screen.

I'll get used to it though. Interestingly, it's a lot more similar to other boards I go to

Like the appliance repair forum :ugh:

ibaker
1st Jan 2006, 22:14
I like the new format using vBulletin forums BUT there is something wrong with the cookies as there is no way I can tell what I have read or not i.e. what is a new post or old one :*

P.Pilcher
1st Jan 2006, 22:56
Um... isn't the title of threads containing unread messages emboldened? It is for me using IE6.

P.P.

ibaker
1st Jan 2006, 23:02
Um... isn't the title of threads containing unread messages emboldened? It is for me using IE6.

P.P. -aaarrgh silly me, you are right - when I logged in for the first time using the new format everything must have been set as read as none were bolded but they are now since my last visit - thanks

Ridley
1st Jan 2006, 23:14
Chat and Email are now back online under the Quick Links at the top of the page.

Ridley

Milt
2nd Jan 2006, 02:15
Webmaster

Have a look at a thread with many pages such as the Caption Competition with 70+ pages. How about a wrap around of the page numbers rather than find them disappearing away out past the right wingtip on a right scroll.

And should my logon Username/Password be remembered by my computer or yours.? I've had to consistently complete a log in on each visit this year.

Took me a while to find "Today's Posts" but then there it was nestling in Quick Links.

A good start to 2006.

Ridley
2nd Jan 2006, 02:56
Thanks for that Milt.

All fixed.

Ridley

take_that
2nd Jan 2006, 08:29
I too like the old format but I'm sure given time I'll adjust.

Does anyone else have problems searching for keywords?

Everytime I try I have no results found. Even when searching for a word that I have just posted in another topic!

Just tried search under 'British Airways' which should return thousands of threads but again received '0 results found'!!!

amanoffewwords
2nd Jan 2006, 10:29
You probably need to wait for the site to be indexed by the new version of the software - with 2M posts it might take a while (I'm guessing that the new version is taking advantage of the new MySQL search features which are being used by most prominent content management systems these days).

Or maybe they haven't switched the indexing on yet - the upgrade path from the old version to this one can be quite complex and time consuming, especially for a site of this size - you need to take things one step and a time 'cause it's all too easy to break it.

amofw

aiglon
2nd Jan 2006, 17:02
Thanks for that Milt.

All fixed.

Ridley

When I click on "Today's Posts" I get a message saying that no results were found!!

Ridley
2nd Jan 2006, 20:08
Anything to do with searching right now, is still having problems.
With a board our size, switching to FullText searching (which is what we needed to have installed years ago) is proving a lot more difficult, as we can't do it via the admin interface, because the timeout can not be set high enough or long enough to handle the query calls.

We have to do everything manually, and while we have done that and everything else vBulletin has said to do, (including rebuilding all indexes properly, without error or corruption) its still not activated. (several other large boards/friends of ours, are having the same problems. This isn't an isolated issue)

vBulletin are getting back to us on several alternatives.

Ridley

P.Pilcher
2nd Jan 2006, 21:50
Ridley & Co: I am still having a problem with the new system in that I have now received four e-mails advising me of replies to this thread despite the facility being disabled in my personal profile - and always has been.
Also, can you tell us what "rep power" in posters published profiles is.

Thanks

P.P.

SyllogismCheck
2nd Jan 2006, 21:56
P.P, Any threads to which you posted before changing your setting to 'Do not subscribe' after the upgrade will have been added to your 'Subscribed Threads' list, under 'Quick Links', and will need to be removed manually as setting changes do no affect this list retrospectively.

P.Pilcher
2nd Jan 2006, 22:33
Thanks - I think I've sorted it!

P.P.

shaky
3rd Jan 2006, 18:26
Any Firefox (1.5) users experiencing log-on difficulties?

When I attempt a log-on I see the "Thanks for ......." message then get transfered back to the original page but with only guest privileges. If I clear my Pprune cookies and repeat the exercise I can log-on with full privileges but if I browse to a new page I get dumped again. Mysterious and very annoying.

Is this merely a temporary function of the upgrade work in progress or do I need to start looking for a cure. I had to use Internet Exploder to post this message and I don't want to stay with it any longer than I have to.

henry crun
3rd Jan 2006, 19:43
I'm using Firefox 1.5 and have had no problems at all.

shaky
3rd Jan 2006, 21:40
Thanks Henry.

I've re-installed Firefox, put pprune.com on the cookie whitelist, enabled Java and javascript and the problem persists.

To muddy the waters further I can see the cookies are present on my machine (valid till 2011) and my name appears in the list of members online in the index page.

Any other Firefox users experienced this?

BRL
3rd Jan 2006, 21:58
Try pprune.org?

shaky
4th Jan 2006, 00:29
BRL. You got it in one. Just changed my bookmarks from .com to .org problem solved. Thanks very much.

Just an other number
4th Jan 2006, 05:58
Rep Power - V Bulletin has some clues -
An Introduction to User Reputation
User Reputation in its simplest form is a ranking of your user's benefit to your forum. Its basis comes from the opinions of all of your forum users that choose take part in it.

Users gain and lose reputation based on how their posts are scored by other forum participants. Users with the ability to affect reputation, will either give or take aways points by approving or disapproving with a post's content.

User reputation can be a derisive element of your forum so great care should be taken before a decision is made to enable it.

All of the factors that affect a user's reputation score are found in the User Reputation section of the vBulletin Options. Please view that section of the manual for more information on controlling how users are able to affect another user's reputation.
Look here -
http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/

Carrier
4th Jan 2006, 07:00
Is there a problem with the Search function? I tried to do a search for a particular airline to find past threads on this operator. I was advised that there was no match. I know there have been a number of threads on this operator over the past few years. When are the Search function and access to past threads likely to be available?

As someone else mentioned: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" We had a very good and easy to use format before. This change is a big step backwards. Please return to the previous format ASAP.

Gouabafla
4th Jan 2006, 09:05
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" We had a very good and easy to use format before. This change is a big step backwards. Please return to the previous format ASAP.
I suspect that a site as big as Pprune was fairly close to being broke under the old Vbulletin and MySQL standards. I don't think the changes are anything to do with the look of the thing, but are more to do with the ability to search and handle a very large database. It's no surprise that it is taking a while to get the search running again and Ridley has already explained on this thread why that is so.

I think you underestimate the amount of work that it would take to change back to the old standard - it isn't just about tweaking a few colours and such.

I've just spent a couple of days updating a much smaller online system and this was for work. Danny and Co have spent a far longer time doing this for Pprune during their free time and deserve a very big thank you.

Rainboe
4th Jan 2006, 09:22
Shaky, I was plagued by the same problem, and thanks BRL for the ingeniously simple solution!

Trislander
5th Jan 2006, 21:25
Is the search facility going to be fixed soon?? I can't find any news on it.

I'm one of those pruners who just types what their intersted in the search and reads the results rather than a forum-trawler.

Please sort it soon!!!!:ok:

Thanks, Tri=

BOAC
5th Jan 2006, 21:40
We seem to have 'advanced search' up and running - not the 'simple', but I don't think the search user is working yet.