PDA

View Full Version : 45 C in SYD

fitternturner
1st Jan 2006, 08:51
Just wondering how the 74's got on today in Sydney with the heat, 45 degrees I hear on the TV, can they still get to the USA non stop or was down loading the go????

Bazzamundi
1st Jan 2006, 10:19
There was about 20 knots of headwind I think, so that should have helped things along a bit.

Temperature peaked late afternoon at 45 on the atis, was above 40 most of the day.

7gcbc
1st Jan 2006, 10:34
watched a few come off 34L today, hard work I can imagine.

Now the real problem is trying to get the kids to sleep, huge onshore wind (big suck) bout 1 hour after sunset, 100mph winds according to channel "it exploded in middair" 9, I reckon its still around 30+ as I type this at 2230 EST.

Gotta feel for the firies up at woy woy and Gosford, this wind is bad news.

Sheep Guts
2nd Jan 2006, 04:19
Interesting if anyone flew a King Air that day. +37 ISA limitation would be pretty damm close.

Sheep

The_Cutest_of_Borg
2nd Jan 2006, 04:39
Kudos to the ATCO's who managed to get most of the aeroplanes on the ground after the change went through. The holding point at Taral was a sight to behold at around 9.45 pm!

At that time, both runways were closed due to reported severe windshear and the 16R ILS was also out. Wind on the ATIS was 180/20-50 with 40 knots of shear at 1500 feet. Several aeroplanes had to go round due to wind shear.

I counted three QF aeroplanes that had to divert. There were more from the other airlines.

Not blowing my own trumpet here but I had put full diversion fuel on even though there was no requirement on the TAF. I think any time you are due to arrive co-incident with the forecast arrival of a front then it is prudent. It certainly saved us from an expensive diversion and is one of the reasons why experience will always count for something... those who advocate that computers will one day be able to make such timely and informed decisions are, IMHO, still somewhat off the mark.

Blockla
3rd Jan 2006, 06:03
Kudos to the ATCO's who managed to get most of the aeroplanes on the ground after the change went through. The holding point at Taral was a sight to behold at around 9.45 pm! A sight yes, but not from my chair... 10 spinning, none knowing a landing time, me not knowing who would stay or go or when the gates would open, if they did would it be one or two bits of tar, 16R ILS failing, me have severe comms issues with the flow who knew no more than me as it turned out; BN sending diverting aircraft DCT CB from MSO way, "me saying no f'n way" I've got ten at TARAL... BN being pissed off with me...:} So I forgot to issue a STAR until after number 11 left CULIN and he reminded me, gruffly... doh! I was wired until about 2am... Got to let go, calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean...

kookabat
3rd Jan 2006, 11:38
Who said ATC is a stressful job??? ;)

one25six
3rd Jan 2006, 23:35
Looks like I picked the wrong time to give up sniffing beer and drinking glue.