PDA

View Full Version : inside of glasses fogging over

dirkdj
1st Jan 2006, 08:25
I seem to have a practical problem with my glasses: the inside of my left hand side is fogging. This can be annoying in flight or on the road and it also looks funny when I look in the mirror.

I tried this spray that the optometrist sells but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Happy new year!

Dirk

M.Mouse
1st Jan 2006, 09:55
I have worn glasses for 30 odd years and have never experienced the problem you describe. Only fogging I get is when out in the very cold and entering a warm moist atmosphere.

You state it is with your left side only, do you have a blocked tear duct or something which is increasing the moisture content of the air behind the lens on that side?

I would go and have a check up with the doctor or a decent optician.

Good luck.

Non Normal
3rd Jan 2006, 12:28
Ah! I had that problem many years ago when I used to wear glasses (I've moved onto contact lenses - too clumsy for glasses!). Just one of the lenses used to fog over and annoy the hell out of me. My problem turned out to be very benign - just the frame being bent (through my clumsiness, of course) in such a way that it was somehow trapping what was at the time thought to be my exhaled breath (!?!) under one of the lenses. A quick trip to the optometrist and adjustment to the frame sorted out the problem.

However, I do suggest that you visit a good optometrist ASAP, even if it's just for your peace of mind and resolution of inconvenience. It could be merely an ill-fitting frame as was the case with me, or it could be a sign of a problem.

got caught
3rd Jan 2006, 12:52
The fact that its one sided is probably related to the left nostril being more dominant than the right, rather than a problem with the eye :8

Mr. Hat
5th Jan 2006, 10:24
something i saw on tv the other day about how to stop a /glass/mirror fogging up... rub and wipe off shaving cream into the mirror. Not sure if it will work for the glasses.

worth a try

M.Mouse
5th Jan 2006, 10:45
But he won't be able to see through the shaving cream.

dirkdj
5th Jan 2006, 11:02
I have been wearing spectacles since about 45 years now.

What has changed is that the glasses are no longer glass but resin (varifocals). They are also smaller and better fitting that before.

Maybe the eye (moist and warm) has more effect on resin than on glass. i am not talking about moving from a cold place to a hot place where glasses will naturally fog over.