PDA

View Full Version : Wind Chill Factor

charliegolf
31st Dec 2005, 11:15
My memory fails me:

Can anyone remind me of the wind speed in knots reckoned to give a percieved drop in temp of 1 degree C.

Was the scale uniform- eg 5kts, 1 degree, 10kts 2 degrees etc.

Cheers

CG (CSRO retd.)

adr
31st Dec 2005, 11:43
Sorry, don't have a knots/celsius version, but this (http://ams.allenpress.com/amsonline/?request=get-document&doi=10.1175%2F1520-0434(1998)013%3C1187:TSWCAI%3E2.0.CO%3B2) might help.

adr

peterperfect
31st Dec 2005, 12:20
CharlieGolf, (CSRO rtd). Does a CSRO ever retire ? Surely there is one last basha building demo in there, even if for the grandkids: isn't hide and seek a form of E&E ? You can answer that question !
Happy New Year.

charliegolf
31st Dec 2005, 12:52
Thanks both for the replies.

CG
PP you're right- when my daughter started driving, and winter came, I insisted that she carry a sleeping bag and spade!

she still thinks I can light a fire by rubbing 2 bits of ice together, but only Andy McKay (Chinooks?) can do that!

SIT head
31st Dec 2005, 13:46
CG - check your PMs

airborne_artist
31st Dec 2005, 14:35
she still thinks I can light a fire by rubbing 2 bits of ice together

I used to be able to light a fire by rubbing two Boy Scouts together - but that's frowned upon these days:} :}

Onan the Clumsy
31st Dec 2005, 16:18
Not that I want to start a thread drift, but personally I don't believe in "Wind Chill" :*

I understand the theory, but the way I look at it, television stations are in a desperate race to increase their ratings, and everyone knows that the more extreme you make a number, the more Americans like it :ok: But you can't exactly lie on what the temperature was/will be, so some clever people said, let's lie anyway, but give ourselves some "plausible deniabilty" to quote an ex president of a certain political pursuasion ;).

Thus was Wind Chill Factor born.

If you don't believe that, then why after aq while did they also invent The Humidity Index? - "Here in Dallas, it was one hundred and five today, but the humidity index made it feel like one hundred and twelve.".

It's just marketing, that's all :yuk:

:8

BEagle
31st Dec 2005, 16:47
Try downloading http://www.weather.gov/om/windchill/images/wind-chill-brochure.pdf which explains it all very well.

For all our Brit obsession with the weather, you chaps over the other side of the pond have vastly better information - the Weather Channel and Wx band VHF to mention just 2 sources!

Hope you aren't trying out your Ojibwa bird snare on the local wild life, Charlie Golf? Have you got a single man shelter and fireset in your back garden?

charliegolf
31st Dec 2005, 16:55
BEag

I've had so many family freeloaders ove the last week it has crossed my mind to nip to St Athan and blag a used 'chute!

CG

Monty77
31st Dec 2005, 17:17
Onan:

Believe in wind chill, and believe in relative humidity. The windward block of the accommodation in the OQs was not used out of preference at Moosejaw, Canada due to the heating not being able to cope when I had the pleasure to visit there in 2000(Feb). It was habitable, but not great.

I now live in Bahrain where 45 degrees is bearable, until you add relative humidity, which the local radio station reports as, 'apparent'. This is what you feel, and it exceeds 50. It is unbearably oppressive, and a far cry from the dry desert heat of other parts of the Middle East. But it's only 2 months, and you have a/c.

Wouldn't swap with UK climate though. Yours to keep. Along with taxes, chavs, Tony Blair, Gordon tw*t Brown, council tax, cats marrying dogs and a breakdown in society as we know it.

heights good
1st Jan 2006, 14:50
Onan, try sticking your head out the door of a helicopter doing 80kts when the temp. is -5 trust me there is such a thing as wind chill. I thought my nose would ACTUALLY fall off. ;)

Heights good

Rakshasa
5th Jan 2006, 17:03
Not that I want to start a thread drift, but personally I don't believe in "Wind Chill" :*
I understand the theory, [snip]

Well it's not so much that wind chill lowers the ambient temperature, Onan (so you're right in that sense). The thing about Wind Chill is that the wind leeches the heat out of you and lowers your core temperature. Same reason we use fans in summer.

teeteringhead
5th Jan 2006, 21:26
Onan, try sticking your head out the door of a helicopter doing 80kts when the temp. is -5
... better still, try hooking under a Chinook in an austral winter!

ProfessionalStudent
5th Jan 2006, 21:32
I thought you smelt funny heightsgood!:E

teeteringhead
6th Jan 2006, 07:22
I thought my nose would ACTUALLY fall off.I say! I say!! I say!!!
My crewman's got no nose.
How does he smell?
Terrible!!
Boom boom! (copyright Max Miller 1937)

Ali Barber
6th Jan 2006, 07:55
Iwas out on the bike today, it was cold and felt even colder when I was moving i.e. wind chill, but my temperature gauge stayed at a steady temp. How come it isn't affected by wind chill?

Ballast
6th Jan 2006, 08:54
As far as I am aware wind chill only affects objects containing a fluid that can be evaporated off of the surface, as we are a significant percentage of water it affects us. Chunks of metal, wood and glass etc just sit at ambient temperature.

As this is school boy physics I stand corrected by the expert opinion that will no doubt follow.

John Eacott
6th Jan 2006, 09:36
This link (http://ski.com.au/weather/stations/) has a ready reckoner for Wind Chill at top right of page. Not much use now in mid summer (45C last weekend :eek: ), but worth using during our ski season :ok:

Mel Effluent
7th Jan 2006, 16:04
This link also explains it well. http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/systemsafety/newsletters/tp202/1-03/V029.htm

The Canadians believe in it; and they should know!