PDA

View Full Version : Life guard?

jet vortex
30th Dec 2005, 04:41
Flew United to ORD the otherday. Was listening to ch. 9 and heard our callsign change to include 'lifeguard' almost half-way through. Anyone knows why lifeguard was not declared from the start? It sure made for expedited arrival to a more than usually chaotic ORD.

amanoffewwords
30th Dec 2005, 08:50
According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_sign) the lifeguard callsign is used by air ambulances so I guess a pax on your aircraft had a medical issue in flight or maybe it was carrying a patient being repatriated to or carried across the States?

PaperTiger
30th Dec 2005, 16:15
AIM, para 4-2-4(b):
b. Air Ambulance Flights: Because of the priority afforded air ambulance flights in the ATC system, extreme discretion is necessary when using the term "LIFEGUARD." It is only intended for those missions of an urgent medical nature and to be utilized only for that portion of the flight requiring expeditious handling. When requested by the pilot, necessary notification to expedite ground handling of patients, etc., is provided by ATC; however, when possible, this information should be passed in advance through non-ATC communications systems.(Emphasis mine.)

Full Emergency
2nd Jan 2006, 23:12
What about carrying transplant organs?? I have done the collection of many of those, where it has landed quicker than normal.

FE