PDA

View Full Version : Desktop replacement laptop

longarm
29th Dec 2005, 10:48
Can anyone recommend a good Desktop replacement laptop. Not really bothered about weight as I won't be moving it out of the house much, just want something I can move from room to room and use at the Kitchen table/In bed etc. Ideally 17" Screen.

rotorcraig
29th Dec 2005, 11:29
Take a look at the Acer Aspire laptops - really good spec for the price but not the most portable of laptops (which seems to fit your requirements?)

RC

Conan the Librarian
29th Dec 2005, 13:19
I find the thing that defines a "Desktop replacement" to me, is neither size, nor features, but battery life. A lot of lappies tout an Athlon 64 or boggo standardo Pentium 1V which provide plenty of power, but can chew batteries up like nothing on Earth. The usefulness of such a device is the point on the graph where portability and the inconvenience of lugging batteries seemingly made of lead, cross - and that point shocks many, many people.

I use an Acer Aspire as a Desktop replacement (and a handheld Dell does the outdoor bit due to the above!) and I think it to be a good machine. However, you are never going to get the performance of a modern, compact and neat desktop, which still cleans up on performance over a laptop. It would be cheaper and easier to maintain and upgrade as well. If you really are stuck on a lappie, then go for it, but I would suggest that you have a look at what is available on the desktop front first. Also, have a look at handheld computers like I did. (I am wowed by mine. Flexible and powerful pice of kit with much functionality)

Conan

Captain Sensible
2nd Jan 2006, 16:30
Can't beat a Sony VAIO for light weight and beautiful clear screen, but they cost a bit more.

Jet A1
2nd Jan 2006, 17:20
If you are keen on gaming and high performance I recommend the Dell XPS 2 laptop...Not the most mobile unit but does well in reviews and tests !

kriss1000
2nd Jan 2006, 18:59
Go with Captain Sensible...I agree you cant beat the VIAO,
massive H/D DVD recorder any format -/+ RW DVD RAM etc.etc excellent kit well worth the extra cost as they are expensive..

eastern wiseguy
4th Jan 2006, 16:28
As we speak I am using an HP Pavilion zd8000.......I don't EVER want to use my desktop again!!!:ok: :ok:

Gouabafla
4th Jan 2006, 16:59
I go with all of the above answers. Could also add Toshiba. There are so many good laptops out there that no single answer will cover everything. The advice I'd give is to go for a company you've heard of and which offers good after sales service (just in case) and then find a machine you are happy typing on. Try out a few different ones in PC World or find a mate who has a top of the range Dell. Comfort, ease of use and all of the soft personal factors are probably more important than a slightly faster hard disc when all is said and done.