PDA

View Full Version : Bungles - DHC-5 Buffalo or Twin Otter

Tiger 77
29th Dec 2005, 05:06
Hey,

I'm planning to start a scenic flight operation at a well known East Kimberley town. Although there are already two well established operators I believe oppurtunities still exist.

I am planning on using either a DHC-5 Buffalo (turbine Caribou) or a Twin Otter to conduct scenic flights to the Bungles via Lake Argyle and all that stuff. My preferred option is the Buffalo.

Does anyone know where I can find a Buffalo either in this country or otherwise overseas? Also, I know of two pilots in town who would suit this position but neither have flown the Buffalo. Does anyone know where an endorsement can be done (would a Caribou endorsement cover this)?

Lastly, any opinions about how comfortable the pax will be on a 1.8hr scenic flight in a Buffalo? I plan to serve drinks and a hot meal on each flight (with a flight attendant)? I also plan to fly ultra slow (60kts) over the main attractions for a good look.

Thanks for any help...

Tiger.

Defenestrator
29th Dec 2005, 05:14
The first hurdle will be getting one on the Australian Register. Once you've got that sorted you'll be in a much better position to sort out the rest. Have a look on airliners.net to find an example of the type and it should say where the photo was taken. May help to narrow down you're search. I've only heard of them being used in Africa, but thats not to say they aren't used elsewhere. Has CASA even got a caribou on the register??
Hope plastering your intentions on this forum doesn't have an adverse effect. Good Luck with your venture. :ok:

Taggert
29th Dec 2005, 05:36
Good luck indeed.

Can't see there being much in the way of spare parts for a machine that has never been operated in this country.

Can only imagine the look on the Punters faces.

Maintenance support is another thing. I doubt any of the local operators with Turbine Licensed Engineers would be too keen on up keeping the competition.

Surely the Otter would be the more realistic option?

:ugh:

justthefacts
29th Dec 2005, 05:42
Why not a D228? GAM now have 2-3 in the country.
They can carry 19 pax, cruise faster (190 - 210 KTAS)than a twinotter, which would allow it to transit faster to the scenic area and then slow down to otter speeds for the scenic flight.

tipsy2
29th Dec 2005, 07:54
The only Caribou ever on the Australian 'civil' register would have the one Ansett New Guinea had before PNG independance when the country was an Australian territory. It didn't last long in country and I believe it was something to do with Ansett not being allowed to operate the aircraft to the full extent of its performance envelope.

tipsy

Herc Jerk
29th Dec 2005, 08:49
The thickest concentration of them that i've seen is on contract to the WFP in Loki, Kenya. I think the company was/is "Turbine Air Services" or some such. Getting your hands on one, getting it here, getting it on the register, and getting the godawful smell out of it would require deep pockets i'd imagine.

Why not try Canada... after all that's where they bred them.

HJ

Woomera
29th Dec 2005, 10:07
Buying a Buffalo should be cheap enough - around 10 cents per kilogram would be more than a fair price!!!

You'll need shares in Fort Knox to get it on the Register and into the air!!!

Unless you are going into the scap metal business, forget the Buffalo.

the wizard of auz
29th Dec 2005, 11:22
And forget 60Knts as well. :rolleyes:
I doubt very much that the punters will be looking forward to a hot meal in that part of the country either.

Tiger 77
29th Dec 2005, 11:48
Thanks everyone for the replys.

Deciding on an exact aircraft type for my venture has not been the priority up to now, although something which seats around 20 passengers comfortably is the plan. It sounds as if the Buffalo will take a lot of time and effort to get flying in Australia, but I will continue the research as I'm very interested in this aircraft.

My other option is the Twotter (less than 20 seats I know), but the Buffalo is far more superior in my view.

I wonder if the airforce would conduct endorsment training on their caribous? Maybe they will sell one? :)

BTW, a Buffalo will happily fly at 60kts and below.

Cheers

Tiger.

the wizard of auz
29th Dec 2005, 11:52
Maybe it will........... but I bet the authorities won't allow it with fare paying pax.

Woomera
29th Dec 2005, 12:52
Tiger. From your demonstrated knowledge of the aircraft you quote and your suggestion of endorsement training, I think your brilliant plan really hasn't progessed very far, has it?

May I suggest if you have money to invest you will not have it very long if your plans were ever to come to fruition.

This is a professional pilots forum, not a business advsory service for dreamers! :mad:

I suspect this thread is either a wind up or you are filling in time until the school year commences.

*click*

Woomera