PDA

View Full Version : CX New Routes?

petitfromage
28th Dec 2005, 07:29
Nothing Official but cut & paste from an industry site.

Future destinations

Cathay Pacific is expanding its worldwide operations from Hong Kong by increasing the frequency of flights on existing routes. In addition, Cathay Pacific will in the near future start or resume services to destinations that it does not currently serve from its Hong Kong hub.

New services from Hong Kong:
Chicago, (via Vancouver)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Dallas
Munich
Shanghai plus,
New transatlantic service from London Heathrow to New York

Resumed services from Hong Kong:
Zurich

mayday911
28th Dec 2005, 16:14
Didn't CX do the service from LHR-JFK in the past? I thought that they did it with the -400.

Mayday.

Night Watch
28th Dec 2005, 19:35
petitfromage

As much as i would like to see these new routes...... mainly cause I'm bored with the one we have! We don't have the planes neither do we have the pilots..... it's as simple as that!

Would love to do a Zurich overnight though.........

eaglejet
28th Dec 2005, 20:44
What about Atlanta?

VR-HFX
29th Dec 2005, 10:28
Apart from Moscow/Manchester it will be more frequency on current routes.

Chicago and Dallas can be covered by American over Narita.
Christchurch - not enough volume for any viable frequency.
Munich-you can walk there from Frankfurt.
Shanghai - obviously but this is part of the KA shakeout.
Zurich - same as Christchurch.

Transatlantic - why? - even though we have the rights...the LHR slots are better utilised for HKG.

More India, Southeast Asia, Los Angeles and New York.

BusyB
29th Dec 2005, 18:57
VR-HFX,
usually you talk sense, however, seeing the increase in Lufthansa freq to Asia from Munich I cannot help but think that yours was an ill considered reply. I hope I wasn't mistaken about your previous posts.

alangirvan
29th Dec 2005, 20:00
Christchurch is a very good port for Singapore Airlines ( daily 777s), and Emirates ( daily A345s)

moosp
30th Dec 2005, 01:10
CX Airline Planning rotate half the worlds airports across their desks every year. If you get a chance to buy one of them lunch you'll find they are an interesting group of people. The trouble with nearly all the routes that they study is that they bleed red ink on the bottom line.

Honolulu is a case in point. It's dusted off every year, run through the simulations and put on the back burner again. At present there is no way CX with its fleet mix, configurations and onward freedom rights can make it pay. Pity for all of us, as apart from the overnight(s) you can imagine that the guys in airports, the engineers and marketing are killing each other to be posted there...

Munich predicts black ink for most of the year, and it does not canibalise FRA as much as you'd think. As stated above, LH run BJS-MUC and it does very well. And its easier to get a sensible new slot time out of MUC than FRA.

Trans-atlantic has been looked at for a few years now. It’s a beast to make a buck on, but there are marketing possibilities for a premium product there, as most of the established operators have gone down market for their revenues. (Hence the new all business class airlines). Its also a dream of London, so they try hard to make the models work. It may even happen in the next few years.

Zurich was killed by the Airbus product (sorry Airbus guys but that is what the Swiss end said...) as the Swiss did not like the 340 on the long haul . Since then Swissair has gone belly up, so there is a good market left, and a 747-400 daily would work most of the year. ZRH always has the back end problem, in that it is very difficult to sell Y class on that route - hence the attempts at linking it with MAN originally.

Christchurch is, I understand, a developing market, and you know how CX don't like to develop a route - they let someone else bleed for the first couple of years then go in halfway up the curve. But it makes more sense than Auckland for the "fresh air and excercise" vacation market, which is strengthening from both HKG and Southern China. And we love your seafood.

I don't know much about the American side, but those noted seem sensible. CX don't mind being mildly on conflict with AA as on those routes their products are different. I do know that the front end is very strong across the Pacific, so we could perhaps tolerate deep discounts in Y, which would just about pay the rent.

Others that are looked at on a frequent basis are Buenos Aires and Santiago (either through JNB, HNL or AKL); Madrid, Manchester nonstop, Cairo, and Istanbul, (again), and Vladivostok.

When they get a combination of black ink on the route simulations, enough aircraft and crews, and someone else to test the market first, I think they'll give them all a go, but it will take a few years.

alangirvan
30th Dec 2005, 09:07
If the A340 product is so unpopular at Zurich, the Swiss cannot go anywhere, as the A340 is the longhaul plane used by Swiss International, the airline that followed on after Swissair. The Swiss timetable shows that they operate ZRHHKG sx times weekly.

Singapore flies daily to ZRH from their city, as do several other Asian carriers. The CX iinflight product is at least as good as the Singapore Girls. Or is ZRH a route to leave for CR Airways or Oasis to do?

junior_man
7th Jan 2006, 18:05
South America?
Lots of new China - South America business in the works. Maybe they would like a quality airline to ride on?