PDA

View Full Version : Raymond Baxter 'Tales of My Time'

TD&H
24th Dec 2005, 11:07
I see Raymond Baxter, broadcaster supremo, Spitfire pilot etc, has written his autobiography 'Tales of My Time' £18, available from the usual suspects.

Anyone read it yet? Any comments?

Should it go on my 'please include in my Christmas stocking' list, or at least the post Christmas 'buy what I really wanted for Christmas' list?

Have a grand day, and may Santa bring you at least one or two gifts you'll appreciate.:ok:

SPIT
27th Dec 2005, 16:39
Hi
I will let you know as I have just recieved notification that the book has been sent to me, so asap I will let you know if you want ???
All the Best for the NEW YEAR
SPIT

chevvron
27th Dec 2005, 17:38
I could tell you a tale about when John Farley was told he had to fly RB in G-VTOL at the '74 Farnborough Airshow, but if John wants do to it himself, it would be more detailed!

Flying Lawyer
27th Dec 2005, 21:45
Thanks for the headsup, TD&H.

I visited Raymond Baxter with Stef Karwowski just over 20 years ago and marvelled then at his command of language - even 'off duty', chatting at home.
I spoke to him on the telephone about three weeks ago when doing some research. Despite his now advanced age, the years have done nothing to diminish his exquisite use of language nor his talent to entral when recounting a story.

I'll be buying it.

PPRuNe Pop
27th Dec 2005, 22:31
He is one of the best, if not the best, commentator the aviation circuit has ever known.

I first met him at White Waltham in '77 when he commentated on our (Leisure Sport) big airshow there. We became friends and met at least twice a year for a beer. I invited him to our PPRuNe GatBash at Horley in 2001 and he was a joy. He sat with John Farley and myself and he kept us very amused. He is a fantastic raconteur and had everyone in stitches. When he got up to speak his opening line was "Thank you for inviting me to your piss-up!' I asked him again last year but he didn't feel well enough to come.

The book will be well sold I am sure. A very nice man indeed.

TD&H
28th Dec 2005, 11:38
Your comments remind me of his eloquence when at one of the Shuttleworth Proms, at which he was commentator. Announcing Waltons 'Spitfire Prelude and Fugue' just as the Mark V climbs into view rolling over the orchestra. A magical moment. Shame he's not up to doing it again.

He's high on my list of 'who would you invite to dinner?' Edited to add: Especially when you read this comment about him in 1991 'when her owner had to resort to crutches after a boisterous dance with some Tiller girls'

He's of the old school of commentators who would thoroughly research every detail of an event, and could ad-lib if something wasn't going to time, fill in extra detail and not just waffle like the modern sort. He was quite successful in motor racing as well as in avaition, and is very important in the Association of Dunkirk Little Ships. The quote I added above is from the listing of his boat L'Orage in the Associations website adls.org.uk

My comment 'Available from the usual suspects' didn't quite work out, tried WHSmith, and all I got was a spotty yoof who had no idea who Raymond Baxter is, so took me off to the fiction section! They didn't even have the book in the correct section.

B Fraser
30th Dec 2005, 11:24
Amazon.co.uk will provide ! My order should arrive shortly after New Year. I have enjoyed listening to Raymond Baxter ever since the days when he presented "Tomorrow's World" and expect that his biog will be as fascinating, diverse and entertaining as those of David Attenborough and Murray Walker.

I searched Amazon for anything written by John Farley and found "Gametes and Spores: Ideas About Sexual Reproduction, 1750-1914"....perhaps not the same chap :) Does anyone know where I can find a collection of JF's writings ? I have a collection of his magazine articles however is there anything else ?

Footless Halls
31st Dec 2005, 17:17
Raymond Baxter was Michael Berkeley's guest on 'Private Passions', Radio 3, a couple of weeks ago.

Sounded rather aged now but very suave and educated in his choice of music.

yakker
1st Jan 2006, 13:24
B Fraser, despite many requests JF has not written that book we all long for, yet. Come on JF, I have my cheque waiting.

TD&H
1st Jan 2006, 16:45
That long river company has my order, should be with me in a day or two (or whenever the GPO starts delivering post after the New Year (GPO shows my age!)).

Re: John Farley. I too have done various searches, hoping for a book or two, but came up with similar results to B Fraser.

HOWEVER, come on JF, either you or chevvron tell us the tale of taking RB in G-VTOL, please:ok: Plus we need your autobiography written too, same goes for Milt.

Chris Royle
1st Jan 2006, 21:35
I got it for Christmas, and I've read it already. Entertaining, and an interesting insight into the man who for many of us epitomised good broadcasting.
It's a good read. The only aviation blooper that I can detect is that Sir Arnold Hall is credited as the Lancaster's designer (Roy Chadwick, surely?).
Otherwise, highly recommended. :ok:

Best wishes to all for 2006

Piston APU
2nd Jan 2006, 02:49
I recall that RB's squadron converted from the Spitfire to Meteors after he left the RAF. Some years later when presenting "Tomorrow's World", a young man joined the programme (Michael something?). It turned out he'd flown in the same squadron a couple of years after RB's departure ....... Small world

treadigraph
2nd Jan 2006, 08:12
Piston, it wasn't Michael Rodd was it? Dim memories of someone of that name presenting TW...

B Fraser
2nd Jan 2006, 11:31
B Fraser, despite many requests JF has not written that book we all long for, yet. Come on JF, I have my cheque waiting.

A little (hovering) bird tells me that our patience may eventually be rewarded.

There is an article in the May 2005 edition of FLYER where JF recounts a tale of taking a very attractive young lady up in G-VTOL. I'll swiftly add that the flight had the backing of the aircaft's owners.

Are there any lady fast jet owners out there who want to take up a handsome, witty, blue-eyed hunk ? :O

Simtech
2nd Jan 2006, 12:08
I think William Woollard was the ex-Meteor pilot who presented Tomorrow's World.

A very Happy New Year to all.