PDA

View Full Version : MECIR or instructors rating?

VH-BUA
23rd Dec 2005, 14:37
Hello All,

I am planning to start my CPL in early february. Since I alreay have a PPL I am planning to do my CPL in the minimum amount of time. I was wondering if someone could inform me, what is the best thing to do after you complete your CPL. Are there more job prospects doing an instructors rating or packing you bags and heading up north with a MECIR? Are the chances of getting a job on something like a C210 good with a fresh CPL and MECIR?

Many thanks

James

Over and gout
23rd Dec 2005, 16:36
Get your instructors ticket and get it at a reputable place that can possibly give you some work as well.:ok: and before you know it the hours will be ticken' over....:p

huntsman
23rd Dec 2005, 17:51
do ALL of your CPL training in a C210 or C206, and you'll go straight to the front of the list when compared to other newbies with the same number of hours.

more value than a CIR at this point, but it will cost you.

jandakotpilot
24th Dec 2005, 01:47
Only do instructing if you feel you are eager to teach! Even though it is just hourbuilding you have an impact of the trainees you teach and the quality of future generations of pilots!! If you still will be smiling after 30 circuits on a 35 degree day in a c152, instructiong is for you!

If you can handle flying people throwing up in the back of your 210 while flying over some rock or island and its rough as guts and you can still smile the charter world is for you.

Some operators have a mix of training and charter so an instructors rating is quite handy. Plus if you get a bit of charter time while teaching it helps you move on to your next job.

Mentioned previously the CPL in a 210 is a great idea. It will be fun too!!

tinpis
24th Dec 2005, 01:52
Do it in a C180/185 and you will never be daunted by any little piston plane EVER.:p

Daniel Beurich
24th Dec 2005, 02:19
I am guessing by your name; VH-BUA, and your location YBCG, that you have done your PPL and are thinking of continuing your CPL at Air Gold Coast?

If so, one or two of the instructors there did the CPL and instructor rating at AGC, and are now employed there. But dont expect it to be handed on a silver platter or anything, you'll need to do well and train hard (just like trying to get into any job!).

Maybe do a CS-Prop and RG endorsment on the 182-RG at AGC, and possibly even a 10 hour multi engine endorsment on their Beech Duchess, and then (if you can financially support it) continue on with the CPL in those aircraft, instead of doing it in the 172's. Having that extra 50-100 hours on -PNA or -RUA (formerly VH-IJW) will probably give you a good boost in employment oppurtunities, compared to someone who has done their CPL in a C172.

Like mentioned above, If you want to instruct, most of your time will be on a C152 and C172 etc, and after your instructing job, you would probably have to try and get some experience on bigger aircraft.

The CIR is expensive and hard, but instructing would be a good first job. Often, if you are an instructor at a flying school, they may give you a discounted rate to do your CIR or something, While instructing. Also you will be earnign money at teh saem time thru your instructing job. Then once you have a couple fo years in instructing you may feel the time is right (with prominent job oppurtunities) to move onto the Charter job in a bigger aircraft than a 172 or 152.

(FYI; im currently doing my GFPT course on -BMB and done some on -JUA/BUA)

Hope that Helps :)

Daniel

VH-BUA
24th Dec 2005, 11:40
Hi Daniel,

You are spot on with the information. I have spoken with, in particular, the latest instructor to go through AGC and gain employment. I am sure you know who I am talking about. He mentioned that and said if you put the hard yards, they like to help you out. I did my GFPT at AGC in January of 2004 and PPL in January - April 2005 and have always found AGC to be an excellent flying school. Thank you everyone else for your information. BTW, have you done any flying in RBB? I did some circuits in her a few weeks ago. That is a beautiful aircraft.

Kind regards

Daniel Beurich
25th Dec 2005, 06:40
James,

No i havent managed to get my hands on her yet... But i think ill get another chance to go out into the training area in one of the C172's after a few more FLWOPs and IF's in BMB. I am hoping RBB will be available!!!! :D :8

Daniel

Like This - Do That
25th Dec 2005, 23:53
G'day BUA

I second what Jandakot said in the 4th post on this thread. If you want to instruct, think you'll enjoy instructing, and think you'll be willing to DO IT PROPERLY ...... only then consider instructing.

There are far too many pimply bus driver uniform epauletted sausage factory instructors doing it to build hours. That sort of approach is to all our detriment.

I hope I'm not coming over too negatively, and please don't think I'm having a dig - that's not my intention. I wish you success on whichever road you choose to travel, but for all our sakes please don't consider instruction something to endure before getting a real job.

Good luck, happy Hogmanay and a guid new year

megle2
26th Dec 2005, 07:28
If my memory is intact VH BUA was a Cessna 150 or 152 operated br RAC which ended up in Deception Bay during a student solo flight. About 1979.

VH-BUA
26th Dec 2005, 08:37
Like this - do that, I agree entirely, when you're learning to fly the last thing you want is an instructor that doesn't care about seeing you do well. I will be on my 3rd instructor at the same flying school when I start my CPL and thank goodness have never come across one like that. I believe I would get a lot of satisfaction out of seeing a student develop and knowing that you have helped them get there. In regards to BUA, it is a C172, 1984 model. The flying school re-built the aircraft around 18 months ago and i think it was registered VH - BUA as the other 172 was JUA.

Daniel, are you going to go through to do your PPL at AGC straight after you have done your GFPT?

James

Daniel Beurich
28th Dec 2005, 11:21
James,

Yes i intend to, and if still have some money left i am hoping to get to where you are, and start my CPL. Although i am not sure if ill end up being an instructor or not. Obviously it would be great to go to an Airline oneday, but for now im trying to stay focused on getting a job with a CPL when i leave school!

I will finish my GFPT hopefully by early Feb, then i may have a couple of months break (maybe do something like Aerobatics in this break) and after saving up some more money, go and do all my NavEx's, and hopefully it'll all be done sometimes mid-next year.

Like James said, BUA is a 1984 C172. Not to bad inside either, :D GOt a Nice Apollo FX60 GPS/NAV/COM in it, and all leather seating. JUA isnt as luxurious (no leather :( ) Yet has a standard 2 Axis Autopilot, as well as the Apollo System.

Daniel

wigga
29th Dec 2005, 13:55
I am pretty sure this thread has been covered many times! :P

*hint Search Button*

Jandakot Pilot is absoultely right.

Only do the instructor rating if you want to teach.

CIR is pretty much useless for newbie CPL's, I would do your CPL training in the C210 and be almost garunteed a charter job up north (providing you arent a twit!! :P).

Good luck with your flight training and the choice you make. :)

schoolboy
30th Dec 2005, 05:51
:confused:

Well you got it right Wigga, only do the instructor training if you want to teach others to fly, and if you enjoy passing on your knowledge/skills. My experience shows too many do the training to build hours and not futures.

I have been trying for months to seek out a senior grade 3 or grade 2 instructor to fill a position, but thought that doing it through contacts and the "grape vine" would bring news of a genuine prospect. No avail, they must all have gone on to "charter up north" as there don't seem to be any contenders around at present (even this forum failed to yeild anything but a few tyre kickers!). What is it with these "pimply faced" blokes, put in a few training hours with a few kids and then move on? What about a commitment that just may be rewarding?

As an aside, I have 206/210 and twin aircraft looking for good pilots who will need to instruct as well. Having links to more than one company means I can diversify and give my people plenty of flying, but where are they?

So VH-BUA, only do the instructing if you are "fair dinkum" about making a career out of your choice, don't waste peoples time if you only want hours!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: