PDA

View Full Version : what happened to Shanghai?

RB211-524G
22nd Dec 2005, 21:26
just wondering with Shanghai being such a prominant place in CX history,( i just finished "Sid's Pirates" and "Beyond Lion Rock") why do they not fly there anymore? I would seem like an obvious port of choice. :ok:

Paranoid Parrot
23rd Dec 2005, 15:39
If you want to get from Hong Kong to Shanghai on a Hong Kong carrier you go on Dragonair. Have done for many years now.

Slapshot
23rd Dec 2005, 16:07
I'm sure there are some out there who will correct me, but here's my understanding...

Cathay operated to Shanghai for many years. An up-start carrier called Dragonair came into being (1989 if memory serves) and was going to give them a run for their money into China. The Swires being a devious lot, decided that instead of compete they'd buy a majority stake in Dragaonair so instead of competing they can "feed" them in Hong Kong.

The "arrangement" then became Dragonair does all the Hong Kong - China flying and feeds Cathay in Hong Kong.

Interesting aside, before Dragonair received their first A330, Cathay operated an L1011 in Dragonair colours to Shanghai. Eventually Dragonair crews were typed on the L1011.

Dragonair L1011 Original colour scheme (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/846202/L/)

Dragonair L1011 in current colours (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/444928/M/)

Since then the Swires have divested themselves of the majority share of Dragonair with CNAC owning the majority of the place. CITIC owning the major share of Cathay I believe...

Both Airlines being beholden to Chinese masters now there is talk of "merging" and pitting one airline against the other to create "cost efficiencies"... But that is all in another thread...

How'd I do lad's? Am I close?

Cheers, and Merry Christmas to all!

CV880
23rd Dec 2005, 17:11
Close enough. KA actually had two L1011's leased from CX in the end. CX bought the last one specifically to lease to KA and I think it was the addition of the second one that triggered the conversion of KA crews to the L1011 per their pilots association agreement.
One of the claimed reasons for transfering SHA to KA was CX was perceived by the Chinese as a British carrier because Swire was ultimately British and the UK bilateral only allowed one British operator to serve China which was by BA flying to BEJ. Although they allowed CX to operate to SHA there were great difficulties expanding the service and most flights were only allowed as charters masquerading as scheduled flights requiring frequent reapplications to the Chinese authorities. It was thought that transfering to KA, which was seen as more a HK airline, would overcome these difficulties.

RB211-524G
23rd Dec 2005, 18:29
ok thanks gang!! good answers that all makes sense. have a good holiday break!!!:ok:

CV880
23rd Dec 2005, 18:31
A couple of more bits of info.
CX operated to SHA for several years before handing the route over to KA.
The first Dragonair L1011 service was 01 July 1990 operated by VR-HOD.
HOD stayed with KA until Aug 93 when it was replaced by HOK. HMW was added to the KA fleet in May 93. It was bought by CX from BA (formerly G-BBAG) specifically for KA and never flew in CX colours.

Slapshot
23rd Dec 2005, 19:15
One tidbit you may find interesting...

On one of the those CX operated L1011 flights to Shanghai the crew found themselves in a thunderstorm just south of Shanghai. With the Chinese controllers unwilling to allow ANY deviations the crew found themselves in the hail. The cockpit windows were damaged making visibility difficult if not impossible.

Declaring an emergency Shanghai told them to "Go Home". They were denied permission to land and told the airport would be closed. They did not want anything to do with an impending "emergency"...

With no place to land, they turned around and landed in Hong Kong. I believe it was an Auto-land to runway 31 at Kai Tak...

CV880
23rd Dec 2005, 23:15
I was on one return flight when SHA ATC cleared a fully loaded CX L1011 (RB211-22B engines) to 12,000 metres which brought hilarious laughter from the crew. It took quite a bit of chatter to convince ATC they were asking for the impossible.
CX was fairly lucky and as far as I can recall and never had a major mechanical problem with the Tristar at SHA (had plenty everywhere else the damn thing flew!). I think one got stuck overnight with snow on the wings and lack of deicing equipment/snow clearing gear etc.

Slapshot
23rd Dec 2005, 23:21
If there was snow on the ground or in the forecast we did not do the SHA or PEK flights... Cancelled them. Just didn't trust what they would put on the wings...

I remember being told to "Go Home" several times flying in China. "Airway closed. You turn around and go back Hong Kong." I was also told to, "Go back Shanghai. Military close airspace.", on another occasion...

So we did...

Cheers...

SMOC
30th Dec 2005, 16:01
CX operate the Freighter to ZSPD.

DrunkenAir
4th Jan 2006, 01:02
just testing - never been here before -

ZSSSZSPD
4th Jan 2006, 13:01
CX operate the Freighter to ZSPD.
yeah, I did hear CX cargo the other day in the radio in PVG . but read it from the news. CX is about to fly passengers to PVG early this year(Feb. would be the most optimistic estimate)and another possible destination is Xia Men. don't know if it's true.here is the link . and it's in chinese http://www.jrj.com.cn/NewsRead/Detail.asp?NewsID=549274

christep
5th Jan 2006, 01:12
CX has been flying to Xiamen for some time.

As I understand it Shanghai is still several (or many) months away.

Cpt. Underpants
5th Jan 2006, 02:03
...will be put on the backburner (indefinately) after the buyout of Dragonair is announced later this month.