PDA

View Full Version : AVOD on the A333 and 744's

pgbsyd
22nd Dec 2005, 08:32
Does anybody know how the AVOD is operating. There seems to be so many complaints about its reliability. Great if it is working. Is the reliability as bad as they say?

If so what are they doing about it. It must be covered by performance guarantees.

Will this system be on the A380's and 787's?

speedbirdhouse
22nd Dec 2005, 09:44
It works like a charm on the A330 but is unreliable as hell on the 744.

AVOD has to be shut out for Y/C as a component [can't remember what MR. Collins called it] of the system can't cope with the demands of the whole aircraft using it.

Even when in this config it still doesnt work reliably for J/C or P/C.

Multiple full system [40 minute] resets in flight don't seem to fix anything.

The CSM who arrived into SIN from LHR the other day looked like he had aged 20 years on the sector.

But hell, look on the bright side.......
I bet it was cheap.

lowerlobe
22nd Dec 2005, 20:17
Apparently the A380 is getting the panasonic system or that is what I was told by one of the ginger beers working on the AVOD system or more correctly trying to get the AVOD working.

He also admitted that the RWC system was new and the company knew that there were bugs in the system, sounds like another company with their windows op system.

It sounds as though QF got the system for free for the first 12 months or similar if they took an untried system and we all know that the company could never give up a free offer even if it does not work.

One punter asked to see me and basically told me that Sing Air had a better system and why couldn’t we do the same …I looked at him and asked 2 questions.
1: If Sing Air was so good why wasn’t he on them that night (it was ex Singapore)
2:Did he really think I personally bought and installed a system that did not work just to p*** off the customers.

After that he was ok but I have better things to do than be abused by people for a mistake that I did not make or was responsible for and consistently does not work even with engineers working for months if not years on…I think it is time to tell RWC to take their system back and get one that works..