PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Cadetship

ANDRE25i
22nd Dec 2005, 07:53
I'm planning on applying to the qantas cadet pilot training program. Has anyone here applied to the qantas cadetship and if so how did you go?
I reckon I'd be fairly competitive thoughout all stages but if anyone has any hints or tips i'd greatly appreciate it.

A bit about myself; I just finished school in Australia and I did quite well and was a school vice-captain. I've fulfilled all the minimum criteria for the cadet program. I've also lived half of my life in France and speak fluent French. I've also lived 3 years in Hong Kong. I've got a GFPT license which enables me to take passengers but just in the training area. I've really only flown c150/152s; twin seaters. If I don't get in the qantas cadet program I'm gonna try out the Air Force and future Direct Entry application into qantas.
The stage 2 testing for the cadetship i heard is extremely difficult with failure rates as high as 97%. What can i do to better my performance?

thanks for yor time; any words of advice and answers to any of the questions above would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

VH-BUA
22nd Dec 2005, 11:52
Hello Andre25i,

I applied for the cadet program this year and was unsuccessful. I was 18 at the time of applying, had my PPL on a c172 and did well at school as well. I passed the skills test and felt I did well in the maths, cubes and commands sections as I had attended a course aimed to help you prepare. I felt my verbal reasoning let me down. The person who ran my course informed me when I told him I was unsuccessful that they prefer people who are around the age or 21 or 22. If you are unsuccessful at when you first apply, go out, get your cpl and apply as a stage 2 cadet. This is what I am doing. I have a list of some books that can help you prepare for part of the skills test. If you would like the name of these books just let me know.

Kind regards

James

Mr.Buzzy
22nd Dec 2005, 20:07
It's nice to see you kids at least start out as nice blokes.

bbbbbbzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

speedbird23
23rd Dec 2005, 04:11
Well you are off to a good start. As applications probably closed alittle over two months ago, but that may show good forward planning.
The fact you were school vice captain will help as it shows leadership, however why anyone on this site needs to know that I can`t work out. But hey, I only went to school to eat my lunch. And if I forgot it I went home.
You have a GFPT. That will help as it shows an interest in aviation and self motivation. However being a pilot forum and the fact that every pilot would have had a GFPT at some time, I think we all know the restrictions of such a licence.
The fact you think you would be quite competitive shows
confidence. That should help to.
What I can`t work out is why you didn`t just contribute to the other posts on this page and the next on the same subject?
However I think with the message you posted you may just be trying to wind someone up and get them to bite. Just so happens Im alittle hungry today.

dr_doLiTTle
23rd Dec 2005, 08:29
Hey i remember when i was at your stage, 18, fresh out of school bright eyed and bushy tailed, starry eyed at the thought of being a pilot. The cadetship is probably the first aviation related organisation that many pilots have applied for. It is very competitive as you know, so dont be too disheartened if you fail this time. Its about persistance. There will be many dissapointments along the way, sometimes you feel its too hard and want to give up. I was knocked back from the cadetship 3 times, on my fourth attempt ive been offered a flight test.

My advice is be persistant and learn from your experiences. As for the preparation i know of some very good books. PM me and ill give you the names, and some good hints.

DD

ANDRE25i
30th Dec 2005, 23:44
Hey guys,
your right it is very tough.
I got passed stage 2 and got invited to do the panel interview and oha. I didn't make it. Apparently there were 24 people who did the interview; about 16 got through. Like u said, my age is prob the reason why i didn't make it; being just 18. The majority of guys who get in are at least 20+.

Im gonna reapply obviously for the next one as a level 1 cadet. I thought i was pretty solid all throughout the interview; maybe its that i only just passed stage 2 and so overall my application was less competitive than the guys who got in. Who knows!

Yeah if any u guys got any books or anything that'd be great. Cause then i could try and better my scores on the psych overall.
Does anybody know anyone who actually got in? I asked qantas how i went on the psych during the interview and they said they couldn't give me any feedback.
I'm gonna prob try the air force now; c how that goes; and if i don't make it i'll do GA and get hours up.

thanks for the replies

cheers

Capt Fathom
31st Dec 2005, 00:06
Yep, school is definitely out for the year !

NZ777ER
31st Dec 2005, 00:40
Hey Andre,

Check ya PM's mate.

raafboy26
31st Dec 2005, 04:40
wind-up?

andre mate, your two above posts appear to majorly contradict each other. :~
:confused:

ANDRE25i
1st Jan 2006, 06:42
nah; the 1st email is relating to the next time i might apply

frangatang
1st Jan 2006, 20:39
Isnt it funny how all the applicants have been top of class , best and fastest sportspersons(thats being PC) , dux of this and that... Where do all the dead****s in life go?

aviator's_anonymous
1st Jan 2006, 22:31
they become your accountants...

NAMPS
2nd Jan 2006, 03:37
Isnt it funny how all the applicants have been top of class , best and fastest sportspersons(thats being PC) , dux of this and that... Where do all the dead****s in life go?

You forgot 'rich parents'. The others go GA up north and earn their stripes.

mmmbop
2nd Jan 2006, 05:04
Earn their stripes doing things that, in the end, have very little to do with heavy-jet airline flying.

Get over yourself NAMPS.

M

NAMPS
2nd Jan 2006, 10:32
Earn their stripes doing things that, in the end, have very little to do with heavy-jet airline flying.

Get over yourself NAMPS.

M

What exactly do you learn during a cadetship that has to do with heavy-jet flying?

Many others who went through GA will attest to the fact that the lessons learned in their time in GA stands them in good stead for all types of operations - especially where that experience includes hand flying in single pilot ME IFR OPS.

I guess, in the end, you are right mmmbop. It is more challenging than flying from ILS to ILS after hours of fiddling with the MCP.

pilotdude09
2nd Jan 2006, 16:01
NAMPS "The others go GA up north and earn their stripes"

Is this a good thing? do many of these guys actually get into qf,vb,jq etc?

Cheers

Transition Layer
2nd Jan 2006, 20:29
do many of these guys actually get into qf,vb,jq etc?

Sh1t yeah! Whilst I can't speak for JQ or DJ, QF is full of ex "up north" GA pilots, and I'm sure the other majors are the same. Whilst they might have been in a regional or East Coast charter gig immediately prior to getting into QF, you'll find that many kick started their careers in WA/NT/FNQ.

In fact, in recent times I would say that ex GA "up north" drivers by far make up the biggest proportion of Qantas recruits. Makes for some great war stories over a beer or two.

Cheers,
TL :ok:

pilotdude09
3rd Jan 2006, 06:54
Thanks for that, Im still deciding whether or not to head down to Perth and train or do it up here, which almost works out cheaper and remain a "Local" which may or may not increase my chances of getting a gig with a mining company etc.

Cheers:)

Boeing79
3rd Jan 2006, 09:18
Hi to all,

Can I ask, out of the blue, if singaporeans (non-aussies) are eligible for the current Qantas Cadetship?

Pls pardon my irrelevance to the ongoing thread...many thanks for the advice!!!

Thanks and Cheers
Boeing Fan

Capt Fathom
3rd Jan 2006, 10:00
Boeing79

Why not check the Qantas Website? All the information is there!