PDA

View Full Version : End of year total. How much did you fly in 2005?

l_reason
22nd Dec 2005, 01:31
How are the private pilots around the world doing, are you getting enough airtime in?
How much did you fly in 2005?
What was the purpose of your flights?… sightseeing, commuting, travel.
How long was your average flight?
Any close calls:uhoh:

edit:

Average cost per hour? Renting or owning the aircraft.

jai6638
22nd Dec 2005, 02:53
Not sure if student pilots count but here goes anyways:

1) 56 hours
2) Training and for picking up some relatives :)
3) 3 hours
4) Had a bird strke on my way to Dulles @ 4000 feet and a 150 knots. Had blood all over the windhsield and inside the cockpit too.. Luckily, there was minor damage to the windsheild besides an airleak due to a gap at the very top.

Flik Roll
22nd Dec 2005, 05:09
No, never enough! :)
100hrs
Continued training
1.30ish
Couldn't comment :E

LowNSlow
22nd Dec 2005, 06:56
Around 30 hours including my biennial check flight. Must do better next year!

All for fun I'm glad to say! :D

dwshimoda
22nd Dec 2005, 07:44
1. Can never get enought time in!
2. 96.3 hours
3. IMC training & taking friends & family to exciting new places
4. 2 hours
5. Just the one...

DW

stiknruda
22nd Dec 2005, 07:54
Ask me in Jan, as the year still has 9 days left!

Stik

skydriller
22nd Dec 2005, 08:08
I cant believe it!! Actually just less than 20 hrs this year !! Abysmal!!

It feels like more for some reason, but then a closer look reveals Ive done only short flights this year with no point other than a stooge around with SD Jr for fun, or to practice PFLs/stalls or whatever when back from working away....talking of which Ive also had a busy year workwise and spent well over half the year away from home, so I suspect that explains it.

New years resolution #1 = Fly More, including a good long flying tour/holiday in the summer!!

Regards, SD..

Charlie Zulu
22nd Dec 2005, 08:38
The lowest ever this year.

Only 42 hours, but I have been studying for the ATPL exams.

Mostly cross country between licenced airfields, but also a couple of farm strip visits.

Average flight time of about an hour.

IO540
22nd Dec 2005, 09:11
Somewhere betw 100-150hrs. Wish I had more time...

dublinpilot
22nd Dec 2005, 10:33
About 50 hours during the year. + about another 15-20 unloggable but doing the radio work for a PPL friend.
21 New airfields visited.
Avg flight time about 80 mins I'd estimate.
I made a distinct effort this year to do more overnight trips, rather than just bimbles.

Highlights include a two week trip to France, and weekends in Donegal, Arran Islands & a lovely weekend flying from London with Penguina. :ok:

dp

Edited to add costs:
PA28-140 Cherokee €110ph tacho
PA28R-200 Arrow €140ph tacho

About a 50/50 break down.

CherokeeDriver
22nd Dec 2005, 10:52
Started this year without a PPL or a single hour logged.

Now on 52 hours (all done in the US).
Went to Las Vegas, Palm Dessert Resort and other great places.

Flying back in the UK? No chance! Toooooo expensive and Tooooooo much weather! Viva Florida in Feb 2006 for IMC training and hour building!

Ni Thomas
22nd Dec 2005, 10:56
1) 172 hrs (but plan a few more before year end)
2) Fun & Booze & Travel & Beer & Friends & Plonk & Sightseeing
3) Approx. 2 to 2.5hrs
4) Flew USA East coast to West coast (and back) in Grumman AA5B - including 10,000ft density altitude departures which were fun! :ok:

High Wing Drifter
22nd Dec 2005, 12:06
Wow, lots of people doing 40+ hours with some quite challenging flights too.

I'm reasonably chuffed with a good amount of variety this year. Around 45 hrs total, spilt between a turbo Arrow, a Super Cub, Vagabond, Archer and a Seneca.

Highlights:

1) Taildragger conversion
2) CPL skills test
3) A trip in Pitts
4) Started multi-engine rating

I really must escape this FIR, a CPL with zero experience abroad doesn't seem right somehow.

markflyer6580
22nd Dec 2005, 12:10
Not enough flying started 10hrs in to a ppl...

1-about 60hrs total
2-Training,sightseeing,taking club a/c for maintainance etc
3-1.30 ish
4-pulled the mixture in the circuit instead of the carb heat!,almost got myself in a load of sh1t accidentaly getting on short final for a famous restricted mil base with red planes there:eek: whilst temporarily unsure of my position,was soon sure of it though.At least it was out of hours and closed,thanks to the controllers who were nice to me when I rang to apologise.:ok:

What a numpty eh prooners?:}

Edit have been robbed to the tone of £10k this year:{

effortless
22nd Dec 2005, 12:11
V. low and has been for the last three or four years due to health issues. I did manage about twenty this year though, thanks to nice people who would fly with me. I even got a few hours microlight in France flying out of a 300m strip that was more like a rockery than a runway. It was a blast and if any of you get down to Laroquebrussant, you must check them out.

Penguina
22nd Dec 2005, 12:40
& a lovely weekend flying from London with Penguina

Aww! :O That was one of my highlights too. Don't have my logbook to hand, as for the rest, but I expect the number of hours will turn out to be pitiful! Although I did get night qualified and have an adventure in Europe so you can't fault me for quality!

Think I've been lucky this year as I can't remember any moments of terror off the top of my head.

Hour Builder
22nd Dec 2005, 13:32
Well this year I went from 0 to about 55 hours, now I own a 1/12 share in a C-150, got my FAA IR course coming up in April.

The purpose of my flights now are to hour build (hence the PPRUNE ID), but in doing so I take friends and family for flights, although as I only have 50 odd hours total I havent done a huge amount of this yet.

My flights so far average a little over an hour i'd say.

Closest call is by far my qualifying solo cross country flight. On departure from base, I did all my checks as normal, but took off with only 2200rmp on a 150, and just couldnt climb. I missed trees at the end of the runway by about 50 feet. took off of runway 08 i think it was and landed straight away back on 17, was a very nice little learning curve, and the tower said it was a damm nice landing (no need to reduce much power obviously). turned out when i checked the mags after, they dropped from 1700rpm to about 1400.....i then said a few words i dont care to repeat, as i would never have taken off knowing that.

still you learn by all this.

HB

helicopter-redeye
22nd Dec 2005, 13:59
'bout a 100 & something.

Longest flight in one go (trip actually, R44's only carry 3hrs fuel..) was Sheffield Carlisle Oban Glenforsa Carlise Sheffield in April (in near perfect clear conditions with a touch of anticyclonic gloom over Northern Yorkshire). 7.4hrs in one day and back 8 mins before end of legal day ..

Oh! to be in Scotland, in springtime, close to the edge ...

h-r:)

Three Blades
22nd Dec 2005, 14:34
1) 50 odd
2) general touring around
3) 1 hr
4) A couple of misfires due to cracked cylinder

Highlights:
1) London heliroutes + overflight of LHR, highly recommended
2) 1500' over Lyneham with C130s in the circuit below

bletchleytugie
22nd Dec 2005, 18:54
So far

60 hours without an engine:

30 hours with.

Highlights: Sending two people solo and converting to a wobbly prop.

ChampChump
22nd Dec 2005, 19:24
Stik's right: it's a tad too soon and we are ever hopeful.

However, to date, only about 140 hours, (no gliding/instructing this year :{ )

The highlights - each and every fly-in, a few trips across the Channel, collecting the Stauning mug and sticker in Denmark. Oh, and every other flight as well, because it's all special.

Nothing nasty whilst airborne.

Cost? I've never added it up; money spent on aviation is not real.
:)

MyData
22nd Dec 2005, 19:47
1. Not enough
2. About 36 hours I reckon, I'm not certain though as my log book is still with the CAA (but I'm told it is in the post with my PPL!)
3. Training, going solo ;-), QXC, skills test
4. About 1 hour
5a. Learning about the back of the drag curve on final :eek:
5b. Flying below cloud (with, what we thought was decent clearance) when another aircraft descended out of the cloud across our path. Close enough to read the reg. :eek: :eek:
5c. Learning about wake vortex from a 737 the hard way :eek:
5d. One that I'd rather not put on a public forum - my very, very naughty mistake which led to the Lords prayer being muttered under my breath and me visualising the headlines the next day - still gives me the shivers :oh:
6. About £130 per hour, but should get significantly cheaper now I don't have to take an instructor with me!

l_reason
22nd Dec 2005, 20:49
Just about enough for me this year 214 hours in 2005.
Mostly aerial photography flights and a few camping trips.
I had almost all of the time paid for, from the photos. Cost to me per hour $40/h Canadian.
Average length of my flights was 1.8
Close calls:
- Took my plane for an “off runway” adventure attempting to land in a stiff X-wind. The girlfriend loved it ;) (newbie to the ways of a tail wheel)
- Broke the main fin attach spar in my Luscombe. Full out emergency landing including mayday call and Transport Safety Board investigation. more --> http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201114
- Partial engine failure in a rented C-150 (just a stuck exhaust valve).
All in all a good year. I hope 2006 is just as much fun.
PT

Monocock
22nd Dec 2005, 21:06
126 hrs and 15 minutes.

Hoping to get to 140 to keep the average up and wx looking promising.....;)

Dunc
22nd Dec 2005, 21:49
131 hours

Pleasure and some communting

Low point - Losing my plane after an engine failure (now resting deep in the Med). Given me a bit of a water fear.

Andy_R
23rd Dec 2005, 00:54
Wow, less than I thought actually :uhoh:

With a week to go, 80.3 hours (though was grounded for 3 moths due to illness and a month due to plane needing repairs).
Just looked and 60 of those hours are since July.

Includes formation training, aero's, complex conversion, flying a 152, PA28 (all versions incl Arrow), PA38, Extra 300, Bulldog and ten minutes in a Taylorcraft.

Highlights?

Formation training and subsequent formation flying.

Trip to Oban and Glenforsa in August.

Stall turning the Bulldog.

Spinning in the Extra.

The overhead at Gatwick.

Average flight 1.1 hour

No real disasters (flying wise anyhow) this year. Fingers crossed eh?

Costs? I daren't add it up :oh:

Keygrip
23rd Dec 2005, 01:10
errm, 1,100.

Oops - but some of it was private, honest.

fyrefli
23rd Dec 2005, 08:44
1. 65 Hours, about 45 of which flying XC in the Indian Himalaya, one wonderful flight over Snowdon and my longest SE Wales XC (65km)
2. Pleasure
3. About 3 hours
4. Best part of a minute's cascade in India, including having to full stall out of a parachutal in the middle of it
5, I own them; India trip cost 800 quid for two weeks all in, so call it 20 quid an hour including food, drink, travel to and from "airfield" and accommodation.

Anyone else fancy paragliding? :)

Merry Xmas!

Rich.

Yorks.ppl
23rd Dec 2005, 09:37
Wow, this thread makes me feel so inadequate:(

turniphead
23rd Dec 2005, 11:00
So far 245 hours
the longest 3:20
Highlights: Courchevel, Czech,Sardinia
Worst: CB's over Southern Alps.

Best: CB's over Southern Alps(adrenalin gland check)

Zulu Alpha
23rd Dec 2005, 11:07
195 flights 78 hours (and no more this year as A/C is waiting for the prop to come back).

I think that averages 25 mins per flight, maybe less as some were ferry flights.

Every flight has been aerobatic so I think that counts double or treble in terms of grin factor.

Happy Xmas

Parkbremse
23rd Dec 2005, 12:53
this year around 75h, with about 50h post ppl in PA28 and C172

Highlight: Clearly the trip from Germany to Croatia and back, with two awesome but demanding flights over the alps :)

I cannot wait however until end of march, we'll be doing a trip to Tunesia and hopefully (if we get the visas and landing permittions etc) to Libya then.

S-Works
23rd Dec 2005, 16:11
So Far this year:

390 - Broken Down
297 SEP
93 multi engine.
76 night

412 Landings
222 Flights
30 new airfields

Garmin flight book is a great tool for usefull facts!

5 Air Rallys

Another great year of flying and hoping to top it with 400hrs for the year which should not be a problem weather permitting.

Alynt
23rd Dec 2005, 16:48
How some guys get the time to do so many hours, I have no idea! Well done to all of them, by the way!

Never enough flying!

Managed to do about 102 hours this year, a figure which astounds me! I used to have trouble getting over 40 until I bought a share!

Mostly getting around on personal business and some pleasure flying as well.

Average flight about 2 hours.

Safe flying to all!

Cheers

:)

Cricket23
23rd Dec 2005, 19:30
Nice to see so many people having so much fun.

I'm still a humble stude, so nearly every flight is a first. But....

1) 35 hours this year
2) First solo, first solo XC, and today, first land away.
3) Nothing too scary, but then again, every flight is still an adventure!

4) Highlight of the year - flying in a 2 seat Spitfire and taking the controls for 20 mins or so. ;)

Safe flying to all in 2006 and thanks for the advice this year.

TotalBeginner
23rd Dec 2005, 21:21
19hrs 30min :( :( :{ :{ :{ :{

All for pleasure

kookabat
24th Dec 2005, 01:07
About 32 hours this year... started off doing the last few of my PPL navs, then PPL test followed by a sustained break from flying while waiting for CASA to decide I'm not a terrorist and issue my licence... next few hours were to learn how to land again :D then a few local jollies with friends once that little issue had been sorted out.
Had planned for at least three long-ish (for me - 3+hrs) trips over the last few weeks that would have had me up over 40 hrs for the year but sadly the weather played its usual part in that.

Still, not too shabby all round. Here's to lots more flying next year!!:ok:

TwoNinerUniform
24th Dec 2005, 01:28
195. hope to get in the last 5 this weekend :)

LN-ATC
24th Dec 2005, 14:13
1) 32:00
2) seeing Norway from above
3) 1:01
4) so far so good
5) ca £70, rented

Paris Dakar
24th Dec 2005, 19:26
Please don't laugh..........................

3 and a half hours total time :{ :{

I did however manage to renew my rating and fly a new aircraft so that isn't too bad.

Off to Florida in 8 weeks time (Merry Christmas AT) and looking forward to flying more in 2 days than I managed in all of '05'.

PD :ok:

NT42
24th Dec 2005, 19:45
Wow, how so low PD?

I re-started training in July of this year, and since then I've got...17H55. Sounds nothing really, and I wish it was a lot higher, but looking at the logbook - I only flew twice in August, Spetember and November! Not so good!

However, in that 17H55 (21H25 total time) I've managed to do my first solo, first solo navex (and weather permiting second on Thurs). Hope to get 2 or 3 hours in before the end of this year. Favourite must be the first solo...

Hopefully many hours of happy flying await us in 2006!

My average flight time is 56 minutes, and average cost (bearing in mind I'm a stude, and touch and go's are a lot at Newcastle) is £151.65 - WOW. Didn't realise it was quite that much...I sincerely hope that drops now circuits are finished!

No close calls as of yet - hopefully will stay that way too.

:ok:

Paris Dakar
24th Dec 2005, 20:14
Hi jwforeman,

Lack of flying funds me old matey - but hey, I might win the lottery :ok:

Can I just add that I did also fly with Gone Tek (and Mrs Gone Tek) and that was great too! Cheers!

NT42
24th Dec 2005, 21:46
Ah damn, tis a shame when funds and the like prevent flying. I'm in the rather fortunate position of having the help of parents (I'm 18 at school). However, as soon as the licence comes through the letterbox, I'm on my own. Working now to save a bit, to hopefully allow me to fly with a degree of continuity post PPL.

Once I've passed, we might be able to fly together (both being Northeners!).

snowfalcon2
24th Dec 2005, 21:56
Well a few days still left of the year but..
- found the time for about 20 flight hours
- mostly local refresher flights
- highlight was to confirm to myself that I can consistently land the C42 in the 150 metres from threshold to first runway exit
- close calls, thankfully none so far this year

All in all, OK considering the small amount of time that I have been able to allocate to flying this year. If only that were possible to improve on...

AfricanEagle
24th Dec 2005, 22:16
Something over 30 hours, I think.

I never fly as much as I would like to, like everyone else, I suppose.

But all my flights are happy memories.

500ft along the whole length of the French Riviera, from Cannes to Peripagnan.

Landing in Madrid at Quattro Vientos.

Magical flight from Bilbao to Carcassonne (the best of the year)

Dropping into little airstrips for lunch and making new friends

Late evening summer flights in the Cub.

AE

Bob Stinger
25th Dec 2005, 16:11
1) 132 hours
2)PL,Night,IMC and more important fun!
3)1.15 hours
4)Seen a few planes a bit closer than i would have liked including one particular idiot from Barton over Walney you know who you are!
5)C152 £100,TB 10 £120,PA28 & C172 £70

stuartforrest
25th Dec 2005, 17:49
Managed only a paltry 51 hours including doing most of the IMC this year.
It was a mix of IMC training, Pleasure and a smattering of business. I want to exceed 100 hours next year.

Longest flight was 2.40 in one go and average was about 1.20

The average cost was horrible as I had an engine fault which cost £20,000 to fix. I think the total cost for 50 hours was around £30,000. Thats a very cool £600 per hour but it was worth every penny.

Rallye Driver
26th Dec 2005, 12:37
My flying year is from September to August. I only managed 17 hours this time, with just over 9 hours for the calendar year.

The reason: an engine failure and forced landing last December 27th, which put me in hospital for 10 days and took 7 months to persuade the CAA I was fit to fly again. As I'm also self employed, the lay-off and recuperation meant I've earned about 25% less than last year - so I couldn't afford to do much more anyway.

Not sure that prospects will be hugely better next year, will probably do 20 hours, if I'm lucky.

It is all hugely frustrating, as in the past few years I've managed about 50 hours. So, instead of flying 3 different aircraft at three different locations, I've decided to cut back. I've already stopped flying at one field because of yet more price increases and consistent non-availabilty of aircraft; will probably give up my share in the second aircraft - a Yak, and will instead concentrate what resources I've got flying a Bulldog/Pup. That will save me two club memberships as well.

I don't want to give up - it's what keeps me sane, living in East London!

RD :{

incubus
26th Dec 2005, 12:59
I'll make you all feel better:

Zip, nil, nada, nought, nothing, not a sausage.

Medical expired, air cadets took up all available time and funds, weather took out any remaining chances. I did get to play in a Grob Tutor for 30 minutes but it isn't logged.

2006 is my second year though, so I need to do something about that.

flugholm
27th Dec 2005, 04:29
Sailplanes 18,5 hrs,
motorgliders 12,5 hrs,
SEP 6,5 hrs,
total 134 flights,
average flight time ca. 21 minutes,
longest flight 4:51 hrs (sailplane cross country),
shortest flight 2 minutes (sailplane rope break),
new types: PA28-180, Rotax-Falke, DA20. And jumpseating on Dash 8-300 and Do 328JET. Great fun, by the way!
(Instructing surely messes up my statistics!)

Very obvious new year resolution: Fly muuuuch more in 2006! :E

Lister Noble
27th Dec 2005, 12:01
Started flying lessons end July 2005
Total hours training 34.5
Total solo 3.5
Cost of my flying training in PA28-180 £145/hr
Flying in various friends aircraft around 20 hrs, including some great aerobatics in a Pitts.
Friends aircraft I've flown in this year.
Chipmunk,Tiger Moth,Pitts 2 seater,Vans RV6,Slingsby Firefly,Aeronca, Piper PA28 Warrior.
No near misses to date!!!!!!!!!
Lister
:D

Dimensional
27th Dec 2005, 14:30
About 63hrs SEP, 4hrs glider, this year. (still not enough, I was aiming for 200hrs by the end of this year and fell short by about 8)
Highlights: solo formation flying on the powered front, first solo in a glider and falling in love with 'CU', a K8.
New types: T67B on the SEP front, and quite a few gliders (G103, Puch, K8, K13, K21, K23).
Average flight time: 1h11 and average cost £5.30/hr (:D) Longest flight 1h50 (two landaways), shortest one minute (cable breaks)

Near misses? One distinct bollocking (well deserved, methinks), but no real near misses...!! ;)

High_Expect
27th Dec 2005, 14:49
Day hours . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Lots

Night hours . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . To many

Instrument Tests . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Plenty

Having the Queen pay for it . . . . . . . PRICELESS!

For everyone else there's Mastercard

;-)

Merry Christmas Everyone. Many Happy Landings and flying hours in 06.

Top '06 Tip . . Please stay above 2000ft for everyone's Safety.

:ok:

B2N2
27th Dec 2005, 15:13
2005:

800 hrs flown
550 SE
250 ME

About 40 hrs night some actual instrument and 4 approaches down to minimums.
Two Bahama trips....:ok:

Dusty_B
29th Dec 2005, 10:33
How are the private pilots around the world doing, are you getting enough airtime in?

1) About 200hrs
2) FI Rating (35 hrs), FI Aeros, Fun (RV4), instructing (150hrs)
4) 45min.
3) A little bit of ice, bordering on 'concerned'. Then the retrospective incident where I found more oil on the outside of the airframe than in the engine after a vigourous aeros trip. Actually, about one drip on the end of the dip stick, 4 quarts on the fuselarge, and a quart INSIDE the rear cockpit.

4)
Own: £45ph.
Dual: £150ph
Working: £-12ph :)

Aussie Andy
29th Dec 2005, 10:44
40hrs - I'm happy with that!

Andy :ok:

PPRuNeUser0172
29th Dec 2005, 21:47
Nice post high E

There is nothing wrong with too many Instrument ratings.

QFE/QNH????? ................DOH!

S-Works
30th Dec 2005, 08:52
Doesn't give us much faith in her majesty's finest if they keep having to take there instrument tests! Wasn't like it in my day...:D

:p :cool:

Dude~
30th Dec 2005, 10:54
89 hours total
18 MEP
55 hrs sim time

12 months ago I was a mere PPL, but have since completed all 14 ATPL ground exams, CPL, MEP, IR, MCC and FI(R).

Next year should see a few hundred more hours...

All a bit of a change from 2004 when I flew 5 hours while saving up for this lot!

Average flight time 1.6
Avergae cost £*?$!!! hr

november.sierra
30th Dec 2005, 17:03
I started training for my PPL in July and since then have gone from 0 to 63 hours including the night rating, so training took up my flight time. The shortest flight I've logged was 13 minutes, landing straight after t/o due to thunderstorms closing in, the longest 1 h 35 (mock skills test), most flights around 1 hr. All flying was completed on Cessna 152 and 172.

I can't say I've had any close calls so far, except for a few minor navigation and orientation difficulties while I did my solo x-c flights. Dual instruction at my flight school came to €153 per hour.

TwoDeadDogs
30th Dec 2005, 21:13
Hi all
23 and a bit, mostly in a Jodel 112 and some in Cessnas and Pipers.
One SEP renewal.
One or two high-pucker-factor moments.
Average cost: E 60/hr., plus several gallons of sweat (see last line above).
regards and best wishes to all Pruners for 2006.
TDD

Russell Gulch
30th Dec 2005, 22:34
Please stay above 2000ft With all the others? No thanks, I'll stay lower.

About 160 hours, above the average for me.

stiknruda
17th Jan 2006, 22:09
110 hours logged and a few hours unlogged - including 8 in an R22 ! Scarey contraption.

2.5 hours on a now Cranwell based dH82A
1 hour in an Extra 300

The rest: Seven - for real airshows, a few competitions, Bronze in the Irish Aerobatic Comp and a great jolly with good mates to the South of France!

All in an aeroplane that spoils you for all others, whose designer passed away only a few months ago:

Curtis Pitts, I salute you, Sir

Safe and fun flying in 2006

Stik

White Bear
17th Jan 2006, 22:54
105 hours, 80 of them cross country (FAR rules).
Weather closed in at the end of October, still I managed to burn about 1000 U.S. gallons of 100 LL. :hmm:
Regards,
W.B.

MikeeB
18th Jan 2006, 08:49
Not enough :(

My hours dropped right off after May, mainly due to time and cost.

I've since decided to do my IMC rather than continue in vain at aero's. (or at least competition flying). This does two things:

1) It allows me to hire a cheaper aeroplane, so I can do more hours for my money
2) It allows me to spend some time with an instructor, which can't be a bad thing.

I'll probably still do aero's now and again when I feel like it, but until I can find the time, money and the right aeroplane to compete in, I see little point in entering competitions.

Zulu Alpha
18th Jan 2006, 08:56
MikeeB,

Sorry to hear you're leaving competitions. I was hoping for a lift from Breighton to the hotel again this year!!!

Not sure if it is you but I think you won a BAeA trophy for highest points in a T67...congratulations if it is you.

MikeeB
18th Jan 2006, 09:26
MikeeB,
Sorry to hear you're leaving competitions. I was hoping for a lift from Breighton to the hotel again this year!!!
Not sure if it is you but I think you won a BAeA trophy for highest points in a T67...congratulations if it is you.

Ah, but you might still get a lift, as I want to 'keep in touch' with things so to speak. I might even go sit on the judging line for a bit.

When I do things, I tend to want to do things properly, and thus the whole point of me doing aero competitions would be that I might be in with a chance of actually winnning one. As I neither have the time, money or, let's face it, the right aeroplane to do that, then I don't see the point. That's just me. I'm not saying I'd win in a Pitts or Extra either, as it still comes down to time and money, but I might have a better chance. (and of course skill)

The other aspect is that I need to enjoy doing something in which I am investing so much. I found Breighton very stressful, as it was my first competition, made all the worse by the fact that I was drawn to fly first as well.

Sleap - I enjoyed the flight there and back more than the aero's. The weather on Saturday morning made for an interestig flight, and had I not had a commercial pilot with me, I would never have made it, as the work load would have been too high for one, but it was fun. Getting up at 05:00hrs is another story however.

I plan on keeping my PPL going, even if I do only manage the minimum hours with an instructor etc. Give it a few years and if my current situtation remains as it is, then I'll be looking for a share in something or even an outright purchase, but alas, not at the moment.

Keep in touch if you want a lift !!!

Cheers

-
Mike

Droopystop
18th Jan 2006, 10:07
About 280 at work :)

0 Private :{

Pucker moments: Plenty

Magic moments: Loads.

I miss my private flying though

Leezyjet
18th Jan 2006, 19:06
62 in 2005.

42 of them for my PPL,in Mar/Apr and 20 since. All in C152/C172 in both South Africa (52) and UK (10).

Going back to SA to do a few more in March, then need to find someone to let me hire there C172 over here !!!.

:}

muffin
18th Jan 2006, 19:30
25 fixed wing
75 rotary
average flight time about 30 mins hence 200 or so flights
fixed wing cost about £1200 in the year
rotary cost I hate to think and dare not add up
longest trip about 2 hours
shortest 5 minutes
enjoyed every minute