PDA

View Full Version : Flight school in us

boon99
21st Dec 2005, 15:53
Hi I am new to this and interest in being a pilot. I have been searching for flight schools, but I do not know which schools have good training and such...Is there any famous by reputation/known school to look for? I hope to be able to get into major airline pilot like many people :)

Also, do we really need a 4 year degree to get a job in major airline pilot?

Sean H
21st Dec 2005, 17:36
Im in the same shoe's as yourself.
You dont nees a 4 yr degree just an ATPL(A)
Look at the OBA posts at the top of the page and read it. Im going to florida next year to get my licence at OBA

prozack
21st Dec 2005, 18:04
Hello,

I am also persuing the "major Airline" career. As you probably know, a 4-yr. degree is not mandated by the FAA. I have an aunt who does the hiring for Skywest Airlines. She, as well as a billion other people in the industry have told me, "you must make yourself competitive in the pilot pool." Without a 4-yr degree, you are not going to have that competitive edge. A 4-yr degree in anything will get you far, a 4-yr. degree in Aviation will get you farther. When I first decided to become a pilot, I was not going to get a degree. After talking to many pilots and industry insiders, I now know if I want to be a pilot with someone other than a cropdusting company, I must get a 4-yr. degree.

Whichever route you decide to take, good luck!

boon99
21st Dec 2005, 20:58
Yea, I know what you mean, mostly for commercial airline pilot is a competitive position.

Its just because right now I just finish 2 year college, so Id like to know in every ways become a pilot working in major airlines.

B200Drvr
22nd Dec 2005, 03:13
Guys,
I attended a flight school in Ft Pierce, Florida called Ari Ben Aviator. I looked for two years to find a school that would meet the following:
1) Set cost. (no suprises, no add ons, no price hikes, no nothing)
2) Multi engine time.
3) Value for money.
4) Ability to be an instructor once complete with your training.( if the school is good enough to train me and take my money, then I must be trained well enough to work for them afterwards)
5) residential course ie they must be experienced at providing the full package, I didnt want to waste my time on a day to day basis.
I attended the school in 2000, and got exactly what they offered and what I had paid for, and all done in a twin for a cost cheaper than any other school in the U.S. Every graduate of their 200 hr program is taken on as an instructor if he desires and that inturn allows you to instruct on twins. All the guys that were at the school with me that had the right to work in the US were picked up by the airlines with about 800 hrs. The advantage they held was that all their time was multi engine.
I did not have the right to work in the US. So my career took a somewhat different route, but I was employed immediately after leaving and have been employed ever since. With no regrets.
( I do not work for this school or have any affiliation to them in anyway what so ever)

boon99
25th Dec 2005, 23:11
Thanks for info B200Drvr,
so alot of multi engine training hours is another thing we need to be concern as well right

B200Drvr
26th Dec 2005, 04:10
Boon99,
It just gives you a definite edge in the U.S. market. Guys from that school were getting accepted by the feeders with half the total time that other candidates had, as they had high multi time.
A typical guy would start going to airline interviews with 800tt of which 700 was multi, most other schools you are lucky to have 100 multi hours at that point.