PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Word

261A
21st Dec 2005, 12:27
I have currently got a Dell Dimension desktop and I have got the microsoft works package with word processor, spreadsheet and database etc.

My problem is that I have nowhere near as many features on microsoft works word processor as I do on microsoft word which I use at work for many documents.

Is there a download therefore for Microsoft WORD.

mikeddavies
21st Dec 2005, 12:56
Sorry, but thats why Works is so much cheaper than Office - and Bill Gates so rich!. You could try the free, downloadable, Sun OpenOffice 2 which is largely compatible with MS Office.
MikeD

Onan the Clumsy
21st Dec 2005, 14:39
Is there a download therefore for Microsoft WORD there is a free version with fewer capabilities...it's called LETTER. :}

oh sorry, I forgot I wasn't on JetBlast :(

amanoffewwords
21st Dec 2005, 19:56
open office is on version 2.0 - extremely stable and does everything Word can do, except perhaps when it comes to print labels and envelopes - not as nifty as Word (IMO).

Taffer
22nd Dec 2005, 10:32
If you are, or know anybody who is a teacher or full time student, try to get a hold of the Microsoft Office Student Edition.

Same software, but about a quarter the price of a 'normal' Office package.

Mac the Knife
22nd Dec 2005, 20:06
OpenOffice 2 is the latest incarnation of Sun's OpenOffice - http://www.openoffice.org/

It's a fullblown office suite that is 99.9 compatible with Microsoft's overpriced (and buggy) stuff - the only places that it may stumble a bit is opening very complex interlaced Word or Excel documents (which very few people create anyway). Reads and writes lots of formats including the MS ones.

Available for Windows, Linux, Solaris, BSD and Mac - so you can have a common Office Suite in a mixed environment.

To be honest I think that it's now better than MSOffice in many ways. I hardly ever use MSOffice anymore.

And it's completely free, no strings.

Join the wave of the OpenDocument future!

PS: MS's "Works" was/is an awful, incompatible, very limited and buggy abortion that Gates should be ashamed of having produced (if he hed any shame). It was _just_ enough to get you hooked and so bad that you ended up going out and spending lots of dosh on the full Office (which was what was intended).