PDA

View Full Version : P2P networking, file sharing and XP SP2

Onan the Clumsy
20th Dec 2005, 04:00
got a tiny problem with a network I'm trying to create - promise I did a search first btw.

I have three computers

(1) desktop running XP Home with no SP - Netgear USB Wireless adapter
(2) laptop running XP Pro with SP1 - wireless G notebook adapter
(3) desktop running XP Home at SP2 - connected to the hub with a cable

The service is Yahoo DSL through a 2 wire router.

So I got the hub renamed
I set up a named workgroup with all three computers in it, but...

(1) can only ping (2)
(2) can only ping (1)
(3) can ping (1) and (2)

I set up a shared folder on each machine with "allow users to change files" checked

When I expand My Network Places in My computer I get the following:

(1) permission error
(2) permission error
(3) I can see all three machines

If I remember correctly,

(1) cannot save a doc on (2) or (3)
(2) cannot save a doc on (1) or (3)
(3) can save a doc on both (2) and (3)

I did a shutdown and logged back on with a user with the same name and no password.

So my question is: why isn't file sharing working correctly? Is it something to do with SP2?

TIA OtC

Gouabafla
20th Dec 2005, 08:38
First question: What firewall, if any, are you running on the system?

If you can disable the firewalls, do so (turn off the Internet connection to be on the safe side). this fixes the problem, you need to do something to the firewall. The exact answer will depend on the software.

Onan the Clumsy
20th Dec 2005, 12:15
...must remember to hit SEND before disconnecting :=

I have the windows firewall activated, but I also have a McAfee firewall too (apparently). Once I took that down then I could ping the SP2 machine from the laptop.

Any idea how to add the networking to the allowed list?

btw, Am I the only one who hates virus protection software? I've only rarely run it as it's a royal PITA, in fact running McAfee makes me I feel like I've got a virus :*

Plus, how come they always have the antidotes ready in a heartbeat? Someone should take a serious look at these companies as I think they're like the mafia selling protection.

===

I found firewall settings in Mcafee and checked the box to allow local network traffic. I can ping successfully now.

Gouabafla
20th Dec 2005, 13:45
Can you share the drives now?

I use AVG antivirus, it seems to be less of a resource hog than others. I only use the Windows firewall as I seem to get enough protection from my ADSL router.

Onan the Clumsy
20th Dec 2005, 14:03
Yeah it looks like I can, but I need to run a full test this evening.

It's been interesting to say the least setting all this up. I think I've learned a lot doing it.

Got to shared the printers next as the new PC has no parrallel ports - in fact all it's got is USB.

Here's another question though: on the desktop with the netgear USB adapter (1) :8 I loaded drivers for the adapter cos I guess you have to, but every time I log in I get a window saying both NETGEAR software and XP are trying to control the adapter and I should chose one or the other. I figured I should stay with the XP controller as everything else is that way.

Got any suggestions?

Conan the Librarian
20th Dec 2005, 15:45
Onan, the Netgear drivers are a bit more flashy and do the job well, but the XP jobbie, is functional and efficient, so make your choice and stick with it. In fact, you can unload the drivers for the Netgear adapter should you so wish.

Conan

PS I shall watch this thread and learn. I had a misery setting up 3 machines and since the crash of PC1 two weeks ago, will have to do it all again. Yippeeeee!!! (not)

Keef
20th Dec 2005, 22:08
I gave up on all that USB networking stuff (too hard) and bought some NIC cards and a router. Everything can talk to everything else and do all the things I want. The modem (D-Link) handles all the firewall stuff and scores full marks on the Gibson test.

AVG seems to keep the viruses out.

A D-Link wireless access point means the laptop and the Ipaq can join the network wherever they happen to be in the house.

In the end, it was all surprisingly easy.

Gouabafla
21st Dec 2005, 10:19
I'm with Conan on this one. Let XP do your wireless networking and don't worry about the propriatory drivers. Life is too short for all of the bells and whistles they try and foist upon you.