PDA

View Full Version : A stupid question that openly displays my woeful ignorance.

Onan the Clumsy
19th Dec 2005, 16:43
Traditions and glorious histories aside, why do we still have separate armed forces?

I know there have been previous battles fought in predominantely one theatre, but even the North Atlantic Convoys had air support and came under air attack.

How come they don't just roll the Air Force, the Navy and dare I say it the Army into one large fighting force under one chain of command.

Apart from the last bit :ugh: it seems like a reasonable idea, and is actually a genuine question.

btw, it wasn't me wot made this post - I leant my password to a bloke I met in the pub last night :cool:

gadgetbent
19th Dec 2005, 16:49
That almost sounds like the USMC!

albatross
19th Dec 2005, 16:59
It has been tried in Canada!
I am sure you will be getting some usefull input from the Great White North in short order.
It will not, in all probability, support the idea. ( Especially the Navy guys! )
I suggest we all adjourn to a place of safety.:E

ZH875
19th Dec 2005, 17:52
Traditions and glorious histories aside, why do we still have separate armed forces?What - and lose approx 2/3 of our bigwig Hossifers - No Chance.

Wyler
19th Dec 2005, 18:08
It would be a nightmare. Three different cultures, almost three different languages. More hassle than its worth. Bad enough with Jointery, you know, that thing spelt A.R.M.Y!

Captain Sand Dune
19th Dec 2005, 18:54
And why do some countries have three air forces?

Flashdance9
19th Dec 2005, 18:59
is'nt that also known as MFTS??

Ali Barber
19th Dec 2005, 19:06
I can understand why the Americans have an Army, Navy and Air Force.... and I can understand why the American Navy has an Army and an Air Force..... but I can't understand why the American Navy's Army has an Air Force!:ok:

SASless
19th Dec 2005, 19:10
Heck....you forgot the fact the American Army has both a Navy and an Air Force. In fact...at one time the Army had more vessels than the Navy.

Sloppy Link
19th Dec 2005, 20:01
If you look closeley I think you will find that we do all have one chain of command. The senior military officer is CDS, currently General Sir Michael Walker GCB CMG CBE ADC Gen. There are other examples of Tri-Service heads of departments around the bazaars. At the lower level (mine), a bit of healthy competition, pride in ones identity and being a little different from everyone else is not a bad thing.
SL

FFP
20th Dec 2005, 06:55
In all honesty I don't think the day is far off when we are all "in green" . . . .. . . . .

For Joint read Army.

bad livin'
20th Dec 2005, 23:26
Canadia's F18s seem to have a really friendly looking "Canada" painted on them...as if to say "Hii! You've just been bombed/strafed/shot down by CANADA!"

Sunfish
22nd Dec 2005, 02:24
I'm afraid its essential because the cultures and necessary attributes are quite different.

The Navy does not have ejector seats and doesn't understand why people won't always do as there told.

The airforce doesn't understand why the Army can't knock off at five and go to the pub.

The Army doesn't understand why the Navy and Airforce aren't able to provide transport at a moments notice.

I could go on.....But we always got on well with the Navy, it was the airforce that made us cry.