PDA

View Full Version : Cosford v St Athan

Styron
18th Dec 2005, 10:46
Super site or downsized?

It's not every day we talk about the potential of an £18 billion investment in Shropshire, creating more than 2,000 jobs. But as CARL JONES reports, that's exactly what could be on the cards on the county's eastern border.

Think of RAF Cosford and what springs to mind? The aerospace museum, perhaps? The annual airshow? Or how about the air ambulance headquarters? Soon, it could also be best known as the UK’s new “super site” for military training, one of the most important establishments of its kind in Britain.

The location for a new centre, which is currently being considered by defence chiefs, is apparently a straight fight between RAF Cosford and St Athan in South Wales.

One will hit the jackpot and trigger an £18 billion expansion with 2,300 new jobs, while the other could face the prospect of having to make some cuts.

Shropshire’s movers and shakers — who held a glittering “let’s fly Cosford” launch for their bid this morning — are certainly doing everything in their power to make the case as compelling as possible.

At the moment, Cosford is the RAF’s largest training establishment for ground trades. It is the headquarters of the Defence College of Aeronautical Engineering and hosts other MoD activities including technical training; a photography school, and physical training.

The site already employs some 2,000 people — 1,100 military and almost 950 civilians — and sees around 2,200 trainees pass through its gates. But if Cosford gets the nod for the new centre, that could be just the tip of the iceberg.

Consultants GVA Grimley believe the “super site” will bring a further 2,300 new jobs to the area, and lead to the construction of some 350 new homes. More than 150,000 square metres of new buildings will need to be created, increasing the size of the base by 60 per cent.

On top of this would be additional offices and training space, living accommodation, support services, sports and training areas.

In short, the creation of a vibrant new community on the east Shropshire border to rival any other development the county has seen in recent years.

Some concern has been expressed at the potential loss of green belt land if this project goes ahead. But it’s generally felt that the special circumstances — training on this size and scale is required to support the defence of the realm — justify an exception to the rule.

Of course, there is a flip side to all of this. If Cosford does not win the bid and the MoD decides the South Wales option is better suited for their plans, the status quo is not an option for Cosford, and some services could be lost.

The headquarters of the Defence College of Aeronautical Engineering could be moved from Cosford to another site, reducing the current operation by 20 per cent and making its long-term viability uncertain. But that’s for another day.

Today, the talk is optimistic. If Cosford hits the jackpot, all of Britain’s Defence College of Aeronautical Engineering training would be brought into Shropshire from its current four satellite sites, resulting in a 150 per cent expansion of activity.

Cosford currently provides up to 40 per cent of all jobs in the immediate area and generates an additional £24 million each year for the regional economy. But the consultants believe a transformation into a “super site” would pump somewhere in the region of another £60 million a year into the local economy.

“The Aerospace Museum at the site which already has attracted substantial investment could expect to benefit from increased interest in and development of the Cosford site — improvements to the local road and rail infrastructure being among these,” a consultant says.

Two rival consortia have put forward their plans to the MoD. The Portsmouth-based MC3 Training consortium that includes BAE Systems and the Wolverhampton-based construction company Carillion favours Cosford, whilst the MeTRIX consortium that includes Qinetiq and Nordanglia has indicated support for St Athan.

Parish and district councils, including Shifnal, Albrighton and Bridgnorth, are giving the scheme their widespread backing. And Mike Norris, speaking on behalf of the Telford Technology Corridor Partnership, says continued support from individuals, agencies and politicians will be vital in swaying the views of the Government.

“It is difficult to overstate the impact winning the work will have on Cosford, the surrounding area and the wider region,” Mr Norris claims.

Peter Lindsell, head of local plans and regeneration at Bridgnorth District Council, says: “Success in attracting the college to Cosford will bring a considerable boost to the local economy, as well as to that of the wider West Midlands.”

John Edwards, chief executive of Advantage West Midlands, says: “The Ministry of Defence review presents a massive opportunity for RAF Cosford and the wider West Midlands region and it is essential we make the most of it.

“We are in a fortunate position in that we have a range of key partners who are able to work together and show a joint approach to this. Cosford has the links, existing facilities, location and infrastructure to fit the bill, as well as the capacity for expansion.”

So it’s Cosford versus St Athan. England versus Wales. As battle commences, it’s clear that the Shropshire team has plenty of ammunition.

SirToppamHat
18th Dec 2005, 11:02
Styron

And the source of the diatribe is .... ?

STH

Wyler
18th Dec 2005, 11:04
I have been to South Wales and inded St Athan.

COME ON COSFORD!!!!

Styron
18th Dec 2005, 12:05
Styron

And the source of the diatribe is .... ?

STH

Diatribe, you need to cut down on your funny words mate.

It's none other than the Shropshire Star.

SirToppamHat
18th Dec 2005, 14:20
Styrone

Hmm perhaps Diatribe was too long a word for a Sunday.

However, without the source how much credibility does it carry?

Now we know!

STH

markflyer6580
18th Dec 2005, 19:47
I was at Cosford,(Techie),my sister is not as smart(gen. mech!) so she is at st athan and says its a sh1thole!

Vote Cosford I say:ok:

BEagle
18th Dec 2005, 20:45
Your sister speaks far too highly of the place......

Washington_Irving
18th Dec 2005, 22:39
St Athan also has the resources of the WDA behind it and there's always the chance that the John Reid brain-trust might be looking to make up for the DARA SNAFU. They can probably get support from the likes of BAMC and GE (or whoever runs the engine servicing in Nantgarw these days). The local colleges are also on hand to provide support.

St Athan is currently in rag order as far as service life is concerned precisely because of the civilianisation of the work there in recent years and the subsequent exodus to RAF Brackla (informal name for a sprawling housing development in Eastern Bridgend.) Obviously the accomodation (messes, blocks and MQs) is an issue for them, but they do have a lot more land to play with than Cosford. As far as station amenities go, there's a chance that the army can also chip in to improve things on camp for the people who live there. As far as the task is concerned, there are a lot of buildings that are being underutilised, especially on West Camp, and there's the entire Picketston site that can be developed.

Of course, I would rather set my hair on fire and crawl naked through a barrel of broken glass than be shipped off to Wolverhampton, but it's pleasing to see that neither candidates are in the arse-end of nowhere. I have to say that I'm surprised that a site in Jockistan hasn't been mooted.

Styron
19th Dec 2005, 09:29
1 Para are moving to St Athan from Dover.

As for Cosford, there's loads of land around it that could be compulsory purchased and it is already home to Aeronautical Engineering, so no expensive RAF Scampton type disaster move.

teeteringhead
19th Dec 2005, 15:33
And ... er .. there's about 80 million squids worth of new hangar at Saints that is just a touche under-utilised.......

.... Shame if it became a B&Q.....

... prolly depends on whether Shropshire votes are more attractive than Glamorgan votes....

....cynical?? Moi????

Washington_Irving
19th Dec 2005, 15:40
1 Para are moving to St Athan from Dover.

As for Cosford, there's loads of land around it that could be compulsory purchased and it is already home to Aeronautical Engineering, so no expensive RAF Scampton type disaster move.

There goes the neigbourhood.

I thought that newspaper article said that the surrounding land was green belt?

Styron
19th Dec 2005, 19:45
No there's plans for Cosford to increase in size by 60% if it is chosen by the MoD

Washington_Irving
19th Dec 2005, 20:23
Re: Cosford
Some concern has been expressed at the potential loss of green belt land if this project goes ahead

On the other hand, I caught Wales Today, this evening. Vale of Glamorgan MP, John "I'm as useful as t1ts on a fish" Smith (Lab), was revealed to be incapable of even arranging for the Royal Mail to replace a post box in a village in his constituency. Christ knows how he's going to arrange a successful bid for a major development like this. Everything he touches seems to turn to runny poo.

The dull bugger was on tv grinning like a window-licker of the highest order while moaning about the fact that they hadn't sorted this out- only to be told by the reporter on live TV that they had already contacted the Royal Mail and that one would be installed on Wednesday.

average pilot
19th Dec 2005, 20:38
STH, think you should check your dictionary, mate. That opening gambit was anything BUT a "Diatribe" it wasn't even a mild sibilation.

STANDTO
20th Dec 2005, 18:01
Well I LIKED st Athan

It was 1987 though:)

Wee Weasley Welshman
20th Dec 2005, 18:28
Hmmm, Bridgend or Wolverhampton, the agony of choice... One's just a --slightly-- bigger rat in my opinion.

monkeybumhead
20th Dec 2005, 19:59
I wouldn't be at all supprised to see St Athan get the nod. I mean this government are doing their best to move as much of the Air Farce out of England at the moment.:p

Washington_Irving
20th Dec 2005, 20:08
They've been doing a pretty good job of moving it out of Wales in recent years. Brawdy, Brama at Valley DARA at Sealand and St Athan. (I can't recall any station other than St Athan with an Air Commodore as Staish- even if he did double-hat as Air Officer Wales.)

Jobza Guddun
20th Dec 2005, 20:19
"I can't recall any station other than St Athan with an Air Commodore as Staish- even if he did double-hat as Air Officer Wales."

Erm, I daresay Air Commodore Stinton might have something to say about that, Washington! :ok:

http://www.leuchars.raf.mod.uk/stncdr.htm

buoy15
21st Dec 2005, 00:41
Jobza

Cracking YukSpeak - feel like I should have stayed on!

BEagle
21st Dec 2005, 08:00
They don't sound much like his own words - at leat, not the words of the Julian I used to know. More like 'managed' phraseology provided by some MoD spin doctor.

GameCube
21st Dec 2005, 16:03
The Cosford option may not require compulsary purchase of too much green belt if they decide to sacrifice the airfield.

Only mil units currently there are the soon to be doomed UBAS and a VGS that could operate from Shawbury. Be a crying shame but you know how these things go.:(

Washington_Irving
22nd Dec 2005, 16:39
Apologies Jobza,
Hadn't been paying attention Should've realised that the last people to be cut would be people with stars on their cars- jobs for the boys etc. I doubt Leuchars is of sufficient size to warrant an ACdre as staish, unlike St Athan back in the day (10 or so Eng Sqns, 4SoTT,CTTS and assorted hangers-on). Until recent years, 4000 people worked there.

Now what is there? A bunch of soon to be unemployed civvy tecchies, a soon to be disbanded UWAS, a VGS, an £80million hangar that does ****-all and seemingly ever-increasing numbers of men dressed in DPM, with scarcely a GSCE amongst them that have a rather bizzare and unnatural fascination with human faeces. All v. sad.