PDA

View Full Version : NWA Aborted Landing

happydays39
17th Dec 2005, 21:52
I understand a Northwest A330 from Detroit aborted its landing into LGW on Wednesday 14th December, anyone know why?

Ignition Override
18th Dec 2005, 04:52
The fact that laymen still can't understand the reasons for a go-around indicte that;

1) The media refuses to accept the fact that these are normal precautions or:

2) They are so desperate for anything which can be distorted into a "near-death" experience. If so, you will understand, once you meet two young reporters who try to interview you for the smallest trifle which can be twisted into an actual story, as happened to me at an Exxon gas station near Baptist East Hospital.

3) Would a laymen be so intrigued by a normal go-around, without an external motivation? ;)

away from home
18th Dec 2005, 09:27
It wasn't a rejected landing, the tower controller sent it around due slow departing B777. And that is DEFINITELY what happened!;)
AFH

Avman
18th Dec 2005, 09:29
kendoll21, the satire stems from the fact that go-arounds at busy airports are common as muck. I don't have any statistics but I would suggest LGW probably experiences a couple or so per day. 99.99% of the time it's purely a seperation issue with the preceding landing or departing traffic. No big deal and instantly forgotten by all concerned.

Jungmeister
18th Dec 2005, 11:10
I too detest the increasingly common use of the phrase "Aborted Landing" I guess it sounds more dramatic than a routine "Go Around" or "missed approach".

The fact is that a Go Around DOES indicate that something went wrong. Either the spacing was insufficient or there was a technical problem in the cockpit. ATC or the PIC then takes action to solve the problem by taking the aircraft around for another attempt. No big deal really except that it does cost money of course. Nobody wants unnecessary work but safety is paramount

In the system that I worked all such events are logged and the supervisor responsible for safety is required to comment on the reason. An excessive number of Go arounds can be an indicator of an underlying problem either with ATC or with the operator.

It used to be said that if you don't have at least one go around per day you are not trying hard enough to fill the slots. I don't believe that is true today in a more tightly regulated environment.

barit1
18th Dec 2005, 13:24
A failure to go around might be bit more interesting. :}

BOAC
18th Dec 2005, 20:18
Now that the question is in the correct forum ('happydays' please note), I have taken the liberty of cutting out the unecessary posts and hopefully boiling it down to something which will explain the event to our new reader 'hd39'. The original is preserved in 'the modbox' lest it should be needed.

Jerricho
18th Dec 2005, 23:00
I still love these threads (and you Farrell ;) )

Sorry BOAC.

BOAC
19th Dec 2005, 13:38
Thank you Jerricho. :rolleyes:

For 'happydays39' - these questions about go-rounds do generate a lot of steam amongst our members. I also appear to have reached a temporary' 'full-up' sign on them.

In this forum, we have more than our 'share', I guess, of 'interested aviation persons' - and a large number of young posters.

PPP and I are keen to help those with little aviation knowledge to acquire more - that is partly the 'raison-d'etre' of this forum. So, here to help you is something to occupy you during the Christmas break, as it is good that people learn to help themselves a bit in this life.

Go to the PPRune 'Search' link

type in the following (one at a time):-

'goround'
'go-around'
'aborted landing'
'overshoot'
'missed approach'

select 'Spectators balcony' for the search and have a look at all the threads about aeroplanes that break off their approach.

You asked: "anyone know why?". The short answer is, yes, a few do. The crew, the passengers, ATC, the airline management and possibly the CAA or FAA - and now the thread readers - and you - know about this one as well.

I am going to close this thread now, but when you have looked at the threads, if you still have a question or two - even after 'away from home' told you about this one - please PM me or PPP and we might re-open the thread for you to ask, or just give you the answer.