PDA

View Full Version : The DC-3 is 70

PaperTiger
17th Dec 2005, 16:23
Happy birthday, Gooney. And many more.

(Can't believe nobody beat me to it !)

Krystal n chips
17th Dec 2005, 17:42
Interesting to see and note that in 70 years, nobody has built a long term and viable type of the same ilk---speaks volumes really.

Be interesting to see if the BUFF makes 70 though !

fradu
17th Dec 2005, 23:04
My first flight was in a Dakota, July 1989 :)

barit1
18th Dec 2005, 14:46
Lake Central Airlines (formerly Turner Airlines, later bought out by Allegheny) plied my part of the Midwest with P&W-powered DC-3's. Some were converted C-47's, some were prewar DC-3's with a RH pax door.

I once rode one fresh out of the shop, and I still remember being impressed how quiet it was. (and across the aisle sat Stan Getz on his way to a gig.)

There's still a fleet of freighters operating out of Hook Field, Middletown OH (six visible on Google Earth)

con-pilot
18th Dec 2005, 19:47
There are still a lot of DC-3s still banging around the Caribbean. Heck I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if there are still some DC-3s still flying 70 years from now. I won’t be here to see it, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

I was very fortunate to fly a corporate DC-3 for a about 5 years. It was more of a fun airplane the boss wanted to have and we only flew it on nice days. I ended up with about 200 hours in the DC-3.

The last I heard my old DC-3 is flying tourists around the Swiss Alps. It was the lowest time DC-3 still flying in the world when we got it, only had about 1,700 hours on it total time.

Dak Mechanic
19th Dec 2005, 12:33
Enjoyed my 70th anniversary flight in Air Atlantiques RA yesterday!

Well done to Annette and the team for organising a successful weekend at Coventry despite a couple of unforseen problems..

JC

Chuck Ellsworth
20th Dec 2005, 15:22
For me it is rather interesting, both the DC3 and I turned 70 this year.

And as an aside I flew Fifi Kate from Leystad to Valkenberg Holland this spring.

The 3 is a good airplane I got my type rating on it in 1967 and flew them for many thousands of hours so it was fun to fly Fifi Kate this spring.

Chuck E.

pigboat
21st Dec 2005, 02:54
I got type rated on the DC-3 in 1970. Got nearly 2000 hours on 'em, including 170 hours on skis. I've flown one that had the R2000 DC-4 engines.