PDA

View Full Version : ATC Stuff

Little Friend
17th Dec 2005, 10:04
Boys and girls,

On contact given initial decent to be level by ***** as per the arrival. BEFORE reaching the point and FL given a direct to XYZ.

Does the hight restriction apply?

Frunobulax
17th Dec 2005, 10:20
My advice is: whenever unsure - ask.

Behindblooeyes
17th Dec 2005, 10:39
In theory no, (any new ATC clearance cancels a previous one) but in practice probably!

The issuer of the new clearance should specify the restriction again but to do so would lead to enormous RT loading and is something that should be addressed by the powers that be.

Scott Voigt
17th Dec 2005, 18:43
Little friend;

The answer is NO it no longer applies... For those who say well you know what the controller expects you to so <sigh>. The answer is NO, the pilot probably does NOT know what the controller expects unless they really do know the controller handbook. If they do know what the book says then they KNOW that unless the controller specifies otherwise, the restriction has been removed.

I hope that we don't hear the argument in this thread that we are too busy to do it right stuff... The rule says that the restriction is removed when you don't reapply it PERIOD! Do it right or don't do it at all...

regards

Scott H. Voigt
NATCA Southwest Region
Safety and Technology Chairman

5milesbaby
17th Dec 2005, 21:05
Totally agree with my American friend, whenever you are cleared to a point beyond one that had a descent restriction associated then it is up to the controller to reiterate the restriction if they still require it. This has been battered to death in ATC Issues many times before, try doing a search and see the debate it causes, however the rules are definitive and absolute on this issue so any argument is pointless.