PDA

View Full Version : Flight Schools UK and abroad

SimonJ
16th Dec 2005, 14:42
Could anybody point me towards a decent training school to conduct Modular Training towards a fixed wing 'Frozen' ATPL.

I have attended several seminars run by different schools, thinking I would stump up the cash for an ab-intio integrated course but during the course of the seminars, it became apparent the schools first choice of prospective students are twenty year olds sponsored by parents.

It was inferred that being a 39 year old, if I did infact finish my training I would find it difficult securing employment in the aviation industry.

Any useful comments and pointers are welcomed!

Thanks.

Callsign Kilo
17th Dec 2005, 09:16
Hey Simon,

I'm at Stapleford Flight Centre in Essex. The school offers an excellent ab-initio modular course which can be up to half the price (quoting on minimum time) of the integrated courses. You come out the other end in the same time (obviously depending on your ability) and with the very same qualificaton. Their certainly isn't any age discrimination as I personally know one person who has just completed the 1st part of the course who is 2 years old than yourself. And he is, by all accounts, a very decent pilot

sam34
17th Dec 2005, 13:48
hi,

I saw in the website Stapleford flight center, a test called "test 170A" what is it this test ?? because after there is a test called "skill test" so I don't know the diference ..

many thank's.

sam34, the french student

Martin1234
17th Dec 2005, 15:20
Sam34, take a look here;

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=198092

mungo_55
18th Dec 2005, 15:03
Hi there,

I'm a fair way down the modular route at the moment (I'm on 150 hours, sitting the first of my ATPL exams in a couple of weeks and hoping to start the CPL in c. 5 months). I've taken quite a mix and match approach to my training, which I hope will not go against me.

The principle I've tried to follow is checking out each school I'm going to do some training with thoroughly. Going to the seminars is a good idea, but also make sure you get the names and numbers of a few students who have passed through in the last 6 months, so you can quiz them on the phone about how they got on with the school. Any school should be prepared to give you some names and numbers.

Have you given PAT at Bournemouth any consideration ? I have been to visit them a couple of times and hope to do my IR there. They are on the more expensive side but have a very good reputation and are not just out to cater for the 20 year olds you mention.

I'm 36 at the moment, and the brush up course for the exams I just went on had a couple of other guys in their mid 30s and one guy at 39. I have heard that after 40, getting a job gets harder , but there are plenty of people out there who are walking testaments to the fact that it can be done.

Good luck with it all.

Mungo

B200Drvr
20th Dec 2005, 05:13
I was 35 when I got my comm. and have not spent a day without employment since. I have worked for 4 companies all of which I left for a better offer on my way up the ladder. The trick is not age, at 40 you still have 20 years of service to offer. It is getting the hours to get the first job. Dont ever feel you have less to offer than a younger person, always project that you have more to offer. Maturity is a big plus in this industry. Good luck.

whiskey1
20th Dec 2005, 08:29
Visit them, You have been to seminars run by some schools so have a feel for them (or at least the marketing departments).

Go visit, I work for one and would encourage you to visit not only me but my business rivals. Talk to the staff and the students (away from the staff) to get a feel for the place.

Lots of choices Oxford, Cabair, London Met Uni, Glasgow, BCFT, Stapleford, GTS and Bristol.

Its your money, You are the customer.

Pay as you go is probably good advice give by lots on this thread.

W1