PDA

View Full Version : RNR to ditch the "R"

doubledolphins
16th Dec 2005, 12:19
Rumour has it that the "R" is about to be ditched from the stripes of RNR officers. As the RAuxAF Has already ditched the A. Any one care to comment?

c-bert
16th Dec 2005, 13:00
We still wear the 'A' on our number 1s.

Navaleye
16th Dec 2005, 13:13
Not a bad thing IMHO. The reserves are becoming increasingly integrated into the military mainstream so its about time. Others may disagree I am sure.

Jordan3054
16th Dec 2005, 14:58
I am personally not for it.

I was in the TA first, then in the regular Army, and although you are required to do the same job on deployment, the TA was more of like a club IMO(in peacetime, although I know some units will be different)

I was required to work 10 times harder in the Ragular Army, so I think there should be a distinguishable difference.

Some guysI knew in the TA were genuinely good soldiers and worked really hard, but where I was, most of them were fat lazy slobs who wanted to look like soldiers (badly)

(NOTE: What I say about reservists being fat and lazy does not apply to ALL reservists, just that I came across too many in my time)

Duncan D'Sorderlee
16th Dec 2005, 17:26
Which 'R' is the RNR ditching?

Which 'A' has the RAuxAF ditched?

:confused:

Are they to become reserve members of the RN and RAF? Or are you talking about the 'Royal' bit.

Duncan.

Bigtop
16th Dec 2005, 18:51
Ditch an 'R' - why?
Haven't we had enough uniform changes? The expense of relacing uniforms, buying new epaulettes etc - what a waste. Why do we constantly have to follow civvies in rebranding ourselves.
8's shirts out, 4's noggies in - don't like them, 8's shirts back in!!!
Numerous other bits of uniform have gone the same way - why?