PDA

View Full Version : FTE January CPL/IR course - driving?

carromking
15th Dec 2005, 11:13
Hello,

Is there anyone who is going to be on the 7th Jan (arriving 4th) combined CPL/IR course?

I am thinking of driving down so I won't have to worry about baggage allowances and also I will have transport whilst out there.

I know from searching pprune that it is possible to buy cars out there, but I get the impression that because of paperwork problems it is very much harder if you aren't staying for a year. Does anyone know if this is the case?

If I do drive then I will leave on the 2nd and have room for another. If anyone fancies a lift then let me know. FYI, I am based half way between Gatwick and Brighton.

Ed

carromking
16th Dec 2005, 10:58
Oh dear, replying to myself. First sign of madness.

Can anyone who is at Jerez tell me how easy it would be to buy a car if I will only be there for 3 months?

I am torn between flying and driving and this would decide it.

Cheers.

moggiee
20th Dec 2005, 22:23
A chap called "Blas" at the local Ford dealer will make it as easy as possible.

If you want to take a car from the UK, the trip is 1350 miles or so from Calais and 650 or so from Santander/Bilbao. The roads are pretty decent, tolls will cost under 50 all the way from Calais and the mountainous bits are pretty spectacular.

Formula 1 hotels (Formule 1) are pretty cheap at about 25 euro per night - they have a website and you can book in advance. Ibis hotels are part of the same group and are slightly more expensive. "Hotels" with lots of neon lighting, by the way, are brothels!

Itīs a comfortable 2 day trip from Bilbao or you can push it and do it all in one go (about 13 hours driving). Obviously double that from Calais.

Insurance for UK reg cars can be had from a number of cources and these folks are good to ceal with http://www.seviour-insurance.com/

Petrol in Spain is cheaper than the UK and diesel cheaper still. LPG is very hard to find. In France, unleaded is about the same as the UK but diesel cheaper.

You can just about live without aircon, but I would not recommend it. UK reg LHD cars can be cheap on ebay and autotrader/exchage and mart.

jamojdm
21st Dec 2005, 08:01
Insurance for UK reg cars can be had from a number of cources and these folks are good to ceal with http://www.seviour-insurance.com/

Not if your under 25!! Yet another company discriminating based upon age. Pitty theres no law against being agest.

Jamo

Nimbus5
21st Dec 2005, 12:36
There's a good reason insurers charge more for under 25s if they cover them at all. If you were in their shoes, you'd make the same "discriminations." Tell me why I and other over 25s should pay for your repair bills! Heck, might as well just send me your address and ask me to post you a cheque for a couple hundred quid! We paid our dues when we were your age so quit whining and get on with it.

jamojdm
21st Dec 2005, 14:53
I am fully aware that younger drivers seem to have more accidents and are generally stupid on the roads, hence the higher premiums.

It just pisses me off, now I'm 21, 3 years no claims, have a PPL and just starting along the route to ATPL that I'm still treated like a 17 year old that has just passed their test.

Now I've said the above I guess I've induced sods law and will have a crash :oh:

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Jamo

carromking
30th Dec 2005, 12:27
Thanks guys.

It looks like I am going to fly now with Ryan Air. Will try to get a car when I get there.

Turns out that if you pay a few quid extra for sporting goods then you can have up to another 32kg of hold allowance. Which is nice.