PDA

View Full Version : Flying in NZ and Cook islands

AfricanEagle
14th Dec 2005, 22:56
Ciao from Italy.

If all goes to plan I'll be in NZ end of January, staying between Auckland and Wellington.

I have an Italian/ICAO private licence and hope to get a NZ conversion to fly around for a few days. SEP rating, current on wobbly props, folding gear, taildraggers.

Any suggestions, hints and tips greatly appreciated.

Also any info on hiring an aircraft in the Cook Islands would be a great help.

Thanks.

AE

MOR
14th Dec 2005, 23:33
Try reading this for starters:

http://www.caa.govt.nz/fulltext/TTMR/Flight_Crew_Recognition_Info.pdf

Where exactly will you be staying?

Irishwingz
15th Dec 2005, 08:14
Ciao

I recommend you look at the flying club in Masterton (1 hour from Wellington). they have all sorts of interesting aircraft there - tiger moth, harvard etc. A few people I know did their tail dragging rating there. Its a nice quiet field and if you want to get busy you have Wellington International and Palmerston North within half hour away.

I was in the cooks in July and posted a request here before then about hiring. I believe there is only one private plane - a C172 owned by Air rarotonga, they use it for scenics I believe. I emailed them a number of times but got no response. The only other thing is a 2 seater microlight reight beside the airport (you will see flyers for it in hotels etc). I didnt bother but it looked fun. Not sure about hiring it solo.

Hope this helps

Enjoy yourself