PDA

View Full Version : Oxford Aviation Training - Arizona Accomodation

MonarchA330
14th Dec 2005, 05:23
Hi there,

As far as Im aware, Oxford do some of their flying training out in Arizona.

Could someone please tell me what the set up is over there? Are you given accomodation? Is it catered? Are you given a car? etc

Thanks very much

M330

splatt
14th Dec 2005, 09:45
Hi!

I cannot remember the date that this is meant to happen but perhaps quite relevant to your question - the current Scottsdale based getup is moving to Goodyear Arizona shared with Lufthansa's lot. I was attending a presentation about the new waypoint - not so modular - modular course in Oxford UK when I heard this. In the presentation they said it was compulsory to use the Oxford provided accomodation.

regards,

splatt

Superpilot
14th Dec 2005, 10:01
Yep, if you start the Waypoint now chances are you will stay at Goodyear in Arizona, not that far from Scottsdale. In the US you must use the accomodation they provide, as that's all included in the package price and there aren't any discounts. I believe food is provided and use of a pool car.

Keygrip
14th Dec 2005, 11:16
I've no idea what they are suggesting for the Goodyear deal - but Scottsdale does not supply food....and the car(s) are not free-for-all.

Some of the current Scottsdalers are renting cars locally.

Goodyear does, apparently, have a restaurant on the airfield.

lockton9334
15th Dec 2005, 16:07
I have just been accepted on the Jan APP FO course, and I have been informed that AP258 will more than likely be using Goodyear in the US (we should be there roughly around August until December 06). Included in the £60k fee (+ license and test fees of £3500) accommodation is included in the US, food has to be bought separately in the US and UK along with the accommodation here. (Also have to pay for M1 Visa as far as I know ~£200) Onsite at Oxford this currently starts at £100/week, room-only. They suggest £10/day food on average.

More details of accommodation and what and what isn’t included on their website.

Hope this may help.

Jonathan

1Way2Live
15th Dec 2005, 18:36
If you are due to start a training course at OAT after January then you will almost definately be in Goodyear.

Unless there are secret plans in place, there will be 4 cars available for use to all students. There cars are currently free to borrow for local trips and are reasonably priced for long trips (+50m).

The training facility in Goodyear is very good. The accomodation is very similar to Oxford halls. It looks ropey at the moment, but is about to undergo a full refurbishment like the Oxford halls had this year. There are also two large pools and a large BBQ area. There is an on-site canteen that serves good food all day, and I hear that the plan is for this food to be partly subsidised by Oxford.

The down side is that the accomodation and training centre are next to each other, and it's about a mile to get out of the airport, so you're stuck there for 5 months unless you can get hold of a car. No walking to cinemas, shops and bars unless you are willing to walk a few miles each way.

Any specific questionos let me know. I've visited the Goodyear site and have a few pics of it too.